C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,381 Likes on 637 Posts

First session was super wet
Second session was less wet
third session was on dry tires,

we got 15 mins in each session, so about 7-8 laps.

and after driving in the wet it was actually a lot easier to push...they have live telemetry so it's pretty straightforward to figure out where the brake zones are etc...
Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome experience. Thanks for sharing. Did you have a chance to do some iRacing laps in it first, curious how it compares? I ask, because going from the actual Cup to the iRacing Cup, it was so similar (full sim rig with VR).

Thanks, Keep up the adventures.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
don't forget since this is CI compliant you can run the video at your store
RIP Chicago Whale
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by trader247
Awesome experience. Thanks for sharing. Did you have a chance to do some iRacing laps in it first, curious how it compares? I ask, because going from the actual Cup to the iRacing Cup, it was so similar (full sim rig with VR).

Thanks, Keep up the adventures.
actually I don't have iRacing...about 3 weeks ahead of the trip I went to Weissach (where I saw the speedster mules, GT4s, GT2RS PTS, etc) and was able to spend about 90 mins over the course of about 3 hours (20-30 min on, 20-30 off) going through the systems, the boost deployment, various recuperation modes etc with the aid of a motion rig simulator. To date- the gnarliest sim I have experienced is the ACO/LeMans rookie test. The Porsche sim was REALLY accurate for pedal feel and steering feedback, very accurate for power deployment etc. The motion was not fully as aggressive as some of the other ones but by my second lap in real life I knew exactly where I was supposed to be. VS factory driver on the sim I was 1.2 seconds off so it was nice to see that translate into real life- the biggest factor for me in real life was the G Force- through T4 you are flat in 6th, and then from 8-10 you are accelerating from 2nd to 6th flat on the throttle with elevation, extra compression etc so the car really hooks up even in the wet. The aero is so insane that you can trust the tires and you actually have to unwind the wheel mid corner slightly as the car grips up more with velo increase. I have never experienced that in LMP3 or F3 cars before.

the torque vectoring and TCS really makes the car approachable- like the 918 street car. The P1 on corsas (on track) was good priming for me and I have been doing a lot of shifter karts to get amped up for the G's. nothing is as nuts as flying in the F16 or the redbull stunt plane (10/10 respectively)

1000hp
1860 lbs
weeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 08-02-2018, 12:00 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 423 Posts

Very impressive delta to say the least, congrats! Curious when you raced F3 - which series?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:57 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

don't forget since this is CI compliant you can run the video at your store
He would still have to ask for permission from his supervisor...............
Old 08-02-2018, 01:48 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CJ
Patrick, you wet the seat, didn't you?
PATRICK
No, I didn't!
MAGNETO
Come on man, just admit it
(CJ and Magneto give Patrick the death stare)
(Patrick shrivels with a guilty look)

Since we're all trying to imagine how amazing an experience it must have been, here's what came to mind when I saw this pic. Thanks for sharing CJ.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Not a fan of some of the mods recent thread moves. $.02 Subscribing so I can follow this.
You're a lucky bastard CJ, awesome stuff.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Not a fan of some of the mods recent thread moves.
agreed
Old 08-02-2018, 04:23 PM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

RIP Chicago Whale
Someone call the man an Amblamps
Old 08-03-2018, 12:04 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

First session was super wet
Second session was less wet
third session was on dry tires,

we got 15 mins in each session, so about 7-8 laps.

and after driving in the wet it was actually a lot easier to push...they have live telemetry so it's pretty straightforward to figure out where the brake zones are etc...
And humble too! Sheesh, I hate you, CJ!

Great video; it was even better watching it the 2nd time!

Thanks so much for sharing the ride & I too am looking forward to reading the trip report!

Originally Posted by Guest89
I saw the vid this morning.

Will you be discussing your experience in detail on the podcast?
+919!

Perhaps IB or the community can pull a podcast together? I'll volunteer to do something...perhaps it can be recorded @RR!?!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:31 AM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

actually I don't have iRacing...about 3 weeks ahead of the trip I went to Weissach (where I saw the speedster mules, GT4s, GT2RS PTS, etc) and was able to spend about 90 mins over the course of about 3 hours (20-30 min on, 20-30 off) going through the systems, the boost deployment, various recuperation modes etc with the aid of a motion rig simulator. To date- the gnarliest sim I have experienced is the ACO/LeMans rookie test. The Porsche sim was REALLY accurate for pedal feel and steering feedback, very accurate for power deployment etc. The motion was not fully as aggressive as some of the other ones but by my second lap in real life I knew exactly where I was supposed to be. VS factory driver on the sim I was 1.2 seconds off so it was nice to see that translate into real life- the biggest factor for me in real life was the G Force- through T4 you are flat in 6th, and then from 8-10 you are accelerating from 2nd to 6th flat on the throttle with elevation, extra compression etc so the car really hooks up even in the wet. The aero is so insane that you can trust the tires and you actually have to unwind the wheel mid corner slightly as the car grips up more with velo increase. I have never experienced that in LMP3 or F3 cars before.
The down force sounds crazy. I thought driving a CN prototype was crazy at 2.5 g's, but 4 g's is just bonkers, especially flat out, that takes some serious, um confidence. One thing I did find was that when switching back to the Cup from a down force car, I became so much more comfortable pushing the Cup closer to its limits. I just got used to the g's. It will be interesting to see how your feel is in the Cup after having experienced this beast.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Perhaps IB or the community can pull a podcast together? I'll volunteer to do something...perhaps it can be recorded @RR!?!
He does a podcast called Throttledogs with a friend of his named Rich Ha...
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

how this thread got moved to the Mission E zone is beyond me. apologies.

RL Mods: stay hot.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Such a cool move for Porsche to do this!
You know, you 3 guys could make a great flim together!

Quick Reply: Porsche Content- Hybrids are cool