Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's Your Porsche Taycan / Mission E Release Date and Price ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I just really really curious why this requirement - how often do you do 600 mile trips? I am calm - I'm just curious why hold out for that - you could keep your gas car for those trips and still drive an EV for the other majority of your driving....

I'm just trying to explore why that's a deal breaker for you...

PeteVB does 1200 mile trips 3 times a month - so I understand it - EV does't work for that - but if it's one/two a year - it seems a reasonable trade off...

and do you need 600 miles range, or would 350 do it - if you could "fill up" in 10 minutes? (a real fill up not the current weasel words of xxx miles of range in 15 minutes)...

do you need 600 miles range often
or would 350 do it with a serious/honest 10 min recharge?

I'm just exploring where we need to get to...

I know a lot of people that thought they needed longer range, and then they got an EV and found out two things

1. they loved driving it
2. they never really used the long range they thought they needed...

we have to understand this so we can direct the product development...and some requirements melt away if you explore them - others roar forward with a vengeance and take the product in a different direction.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I just really really curious why this requirement - how often do you do 600 mile trips? I am calm - I'm just curious why hold out for that - you could keep your gas car for those trips and still drive an EV for the other majority of your driving....

I'm just trying to explore why that's a deal breaker for you...

PeteVB does 1200 mile trips 3 times a month - so I understand it - EV does't work for that - but if it's one/two a year - it seems a reasonable trade off...

and do you need 600 miles range, or would 350 do it - if you could "fill up" in 10 minutes? (a real fill up not the current weasel words of xxx miles of range in 15 minutes)...

do you need 600 miles range often
or would 350 do it with a serious/honest 10 min recharge?

I'm just exploring where we need to get to...

I know a lot of people that thought they needed longer range, and then they got an EV and found out two things

1. they loved driving it
2. they never really used the long range they thought they needed...

we have to understand this so we can direct the product development...and some requirements melt away if you explore them - others roar forward with a vengeance and take the product in a different direction.
Okay, here is the deal: Without giving you my life story and validating my personal choices to a stranger, I'll just write that I work in advanced technology R&D, I am up on battery tech, and six hundred mile range is not that far out. There is no way I would buy now, but I do want an EV at some point. The tech is still not quite there.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Mmmmm thank you - 600 miles not that far out - color me excited!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 AM
ace10
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you guys really plunking your money to get in line for an early Taycan?

Having gone through a incredibly painful first year with my first year PSeH, I have learned my lesson. The car lived at the dealer as the factory slowly trickled down fixes and the dealer (even more slowly) learned how to work on the car.

I'm sure we will buy a Taycan, but it certainly won't be a first year example.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:38 PM
CJ455
Rennlist Town Crier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ace10
Are you guys really plunking your money to get in line for an early Taycan?

Having gone through a incredibly painful first year with my first year PSeH, I have learned my lesson. The car lived at the dealer as the factory slowly trickled down fixes and the dealer (even more slowly) learned how to work on the car.

I'm sure we will buy a Taycan, but it certainly won't be a first year example.
What happened with your first year PSeH? Care to share your experiences?
Old 09-11-2018, 05:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I'm concerned about 1st year products, but I also know EV's mechanically are very very simple, I'm hoping the simplicity trumps the first year bugs - we'll see - but for me it'a s calculated risk - and beside my 2014 P85D is losing it's car pool status in 2019 - so I'm hunting for my next car pool weapon…
Old 09-11-2018, 06:03 PM
ace10
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ455
What happened with your first year PSeH? Care to share your experiences?

I documented the journey over on 6speed. Most of the issues were directly related to the onboard charger, cabling and charge port. Quite a few software issues, as well.
It took about a full year and 12-15K miles to get past them. The car has been reliable since. I cannot think of a single issue related to the ICE.

I am fully expecting there to be similar teething pains with the Taycan. Maybe worse. If/when Porsche gets the new model sorted out, I will ante up.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Okay, here is the deal: Without giving you my life story and validating my personal choices to a stranger, I'll just write that I work in advanced technology R&D, I am up on battery tech, and six hundred mile range is not that far out. There is no way I would buy now, but I do want an EV at some point. The tech is still not quite there.
The tech is there... Tesla could make a 600-mile car today, but it would just be $200k due to battery costs. The next-generation Roadster is going to have a 600-mile range and cost $250k. Over time the battery costs will continue to decline and I bet Tesla is the first to a 500-mile range with the new Model S flagship due sometime soon.

Once caveat to this size battery is the recharge speed, which with 800+ volt charging should be about the same as a full supercharge today @ 45 mins.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:05 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Seneca035
The tech is there... Tesla could make a 600-mile car today, but it would just be $200k due to battery costs. The next-generation Roadster is going to have a 600-mile range and cost $250k. Over time the battery costs will continue to decline and I bet Tesla is the first to a 500-mile range with the new Model S flagship due sometime soon.

Once caveat to this size battery is the recharge speed, which with 800+ volt charging should be about the same as a full supercharge today @ 45 mins.
At some point it makes more sense to focus on charging time and charging access instead of range. The number of times I drive over 100 miles a day in a year is less than 20. So I only need the long range capability 5% of the time which I'm willing to bet is true for most people. So why lug around a giant expensive battery pack with 600 miles of range, when a 300 mile range battery pack with quick charging will do just fine.

Reduce charging time, and build up the charging infrastructure.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:16 AM
usafakid09
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
At some point it makes more sense to focus on charging time and charging access instead of range. The number of times I drive over 100 miles a day in a year is less than 20. So I only need the long range capability 5% of the time which I'm willing to bet is true for most people. So why lug around a giant expensive battery pack with 600 miles of range, when a 300 mile range battery pack with quick charging will do just fine.

Reduce charging time, and build up the charging infrastructure.
Exactly!
Old 09-15-2018, 02:30 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I'm not that excited about a 600 mile range battery - I am however very exicited about the same range battery (300 miles) in half the volume/weight…or some such exchange - at that point EV's will no longer have a weight penalty vs. equivalent EV's and their advantages will no longer be as hampered…

I think we we can get to 420 miles in 2/3'rd's the weight of today's EV battery it would be pretty good - and a low cost 260 mile EV with a battery weight of 1/4 of what it is today would make it a spectacular car and shave quite a bit of weight vs. an ICE - improving efficiency and range...

if you can increase density - you don't have to go for range, you can lower weight, volume and cost…and keep the same range - and quite honestly 200+ miles covers 98% of daily driving needs…picture a 230 mile Boxster that weighs 350 lbs less than the ICE Boxster…and yet has instant torque, regen braking, and does zero to 80 mph in less than 4 seconds…and can actually handle and handle better than the ICE Boxster cause it weighs less....
Old 01-27-2019, 12:23 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Goalposts

Originally Posted by Seneca035

Watch the goalposts change once again from the anti-BEV people. A 600 mile battery will suck in the first few hundred mile range in just a few minutes

Interesting point, I just came from doing two trips between Toronto and Miami (traveled both ways). My car gets 850 KMs on a full tank, but of-course I never ran it until i was empty - once I fell to 100 KM range left I started to look for a gas station. Just like BEV drivers, they would never drain the battery without looking for charging station. Also along the way I often filled up the tank then went for something to eat or just sleep for a few hours. Switching to a long range BEV will make little difference in a trip as far as I can see.

PS. My dad did the same trip in just 26 hours, but when he arrive he could only go to bed - he was worthless for the next day.

Quick Reply: When's Your Porsche Taycan / Mission E Release Date and Price ?