Sponsored by:

I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:28 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Tesla has been the only game in town. Hard not to be the best looking and best performing in a group of one. Tesla has been able to peddle a ridiculously overpriced, bland car because they were the only real option for the early adopter fashion set. But that’s all about to change. And having crawled all over a Modrl 3 and drivena Volt, if they were the same price, I’d still take the Volt.
Bland? Speak for yourself.

IMO Tesla makes phenomenal cars that no other OEM was willing to build at that time.

I don't understand why it's so hard for Porsche owners to admit there can be other good cars besides Porsches. Each their own I guess.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by DIYDanCars
Bland? Speak for yourself.

IMO Tesla makes phenomenal cars that no other OEM was willing to build at that time.

I don't understand why it's so hard for Porsche owners to admit there can be other good cars besides Porsches. Each their own I guess.
There are plenty of good cars out there not made by Porsche, and the Tesla may be a very good EV, but Teslas have all the character of an iPhone. They're the very absence of style. Which is fine for some, and not for others. Which is good. Variety is the spice as they say.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Meanwhile today, one of Tesla's biggest short sellers apologized, reversed their position, and is all in.
What's so scary about Tesla stock is the fact that it can move so much on just a few words by various parties. He may be dead right or dead wrong, but the fact that the stock would move so much simply on one person's opinion, with no new hard information, is wacky to me. It's a roulette wheel.

I think he is right that Tesla will make it, not sure if I agree with the rest of it.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:58 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

There are plenty of good cars out there not made by Porsche, and the Tesla may be a very good EV, but Teslas have all the character of an iPhone. They're the very absence of style. Which is fine for some, and not for others. Which is good. Variety is the spice as they say.
"They're the very absence of style"

Weren't you saying that you would buy a Volt over a Tesla?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

To your iPhone comparison, I think it's very appropriate but for the opposite reason that you do. Think back to when the iPhone came out, people couldn't believe that a phone without a keyboard and lots of complexity could be useful... Instead the cleaning thinking approach of just having one square phone that was all screen, and it up redefining the industry. In the same token, I think teslas "boring" design ethic may help redefine what we look for from the car... Much less cluttered on the inside, much more automated, much less involving. While we as gearheads may not see it, average joe and Jane May indeed decide that this idea of the car as an appliance is exactly what they wanted.

What's so scary about Tesla stock is the fact that it can move so much on just a few words by various parties. He may be dead right or dead wrong, but the fact that the stock would move so much simply on one person's opinion, with no new hard information, is wacky to me. It's a roulette wheel.

I think he is right that Tesla will make it, not sure if I agree with the rest of it.
I guess that's what I love about the stock as I trade it actively.. I keep AMZN and a few others for slow and boring, but TESLA I buy on the dips. I think the overall trend is positive as they have
-hardcore adopters and evangelists who love the product
-net supply chain (giga factory) and product expertise first mover advantage
-a visionary leader who isn't scared of making bold decisions.
-an ever-increasing pie of EV demand to pull from. As IC cars fade, the only pure EV play in the industry is very attractive to me.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:43 PM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Meanwhile today, one of Tesla's biggest short sellers apologized, reversed their position, and is all in.
Andrew Left of Citron Research, one of the most vocal and notorious TSLA shorts and Tesla critics, that is until today, has flipped and says he is turning to long now. His reasoning:
"Tesla's Model 3 sedan is a "proven hit" and serious competition from other automakers for the plug-in car market has not materialized" ***exactly how I feel too.
“Like a magic trick, while everyone is focused on Elon smoking weed, he is quietly smoking the whole automotive industry.”

If a person like that could change his view perhaps we all owe ourselves a fresh view of this whole situation? I know I'm looking at at this EV thing very differently than I did just a year ago.

To your iPhone comparison, I think it's very appropriate but for the opposite reason that you do. Think back to when the iPhone came out, people couldn't believe that a phone without a keyboard and lots of complexity could be useful... Instead the cleaning thinking approach of just having one square phone that was all screen, and it up redefining the industry. In the same token, I think teslas "boring" design ethic may help redefine what we look for from the car... Much less cluttered on the inside, much more automated, much less involving.
Obama when he first moved into the White House he refused to give up his Blackberry even when people asked him to. There were a lot people like that you could only pry their Blackberry from their cold dead hands. Where is Blackberry now?

While we as gearheads may not see it, average joe and Jane May indeed decide that this idea of the car as an appliance is exactly what they wanted.
It's old gearheads vs. new techies. The world is going to be dominated by the later. Nothing anyone could do to stop that.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Didn't see this, but thought it was related to this thread
https://www.motor1.com/news/272366/p...v-price-rumor/
Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

...and this. Direct benchmarking against the Model S for the Taycan

https://electrek.co/2018/10/23/porsc...a-model-s/amp/
Old 10-24-2018, 06:14 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

...and this. Direct benchmarking against the Model S for the Taycan

https://electrek.co/2018/10/23/porsc...a-model-s/amp/

Looks like it is a current event. That does not look like Porsche is ready for production yet.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Tesla is such a fascinating case. The company is such a lightning rod for controversy (see what I did there) that it's just the theater of the absurd to watch what will happen next. I've never seen one business, let alone one leader, so ploarizingly either adored or hated. I mean, there are always business leaders who are both, but to this extent? Not many in the modern marketplace, for sure.

Meanwhile, they continue to crank out cars. Yes, imperfect cars, made more desirable to some by the braggadocio of their CEO (or whatever he is now) as well as the sheer novelty of having something different. But let's face it, many have tried to make a marketable EV in the past, including the might of GM. And failed. Well, you can't blame GM for failing, they could f@ck just about anything up. But lo and behold, this crazy dude building cars in a tent has created a mass market EV AND charging system that works, and has forced every other manufacturer to make hard course corrections.

What I find ridiculous is that we are already comparing the Taycan to any number of Teslas, when there are no final production details, specs, data or images released. Doesn't that tell you something about the real success of Tesla?

I'm looking forward to the Taycan. I have a feeling it'll be pretty spectacular if you like EV's.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:53 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I'm increasingly convinced the model 3 has moved the goal posts a bit more than people realize - sure it's not 35k - but it's 60k out the door and every bit as good as any 60k German 4 door mid-sized sedan - and my car's build quality is quite good, and the performance is spectacular...porsche thinks they are competing with the S, when in reality the 3 is the new benchmark...and we're still at least 1 year away from delivery…Tesla/Bolt/Leaf are still the only game in town, and and the Tesla is getting better, and there is no question it's a success - now if they can only be profitable …

but the Model 3 is a very subtle set of improvements that I don't think everyone has fully digested.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:03 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Tesla as a stock? The valuation is ridiculous. Anyone long this stock either can't read a financial statement or is WILDLY optimistic about its future.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:50 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Well Tesla just crushed Q3 earnings. I haven't looked through the details to see if there is smoke and mirrors, but so far it looks pretty impressive.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Model 3 best selling car by revenue
5th best selling car by volume

expanding manufacturing in China

gave two test drives in my Model 3 today with my coffee crew - two Model 3 orders placed after test drives - it's a good car.

now all we need to do is get Elon to keep his mouth shut.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:08 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Model 3 best selling car by revenue
5th best selling car by volume

expanding manufacturing in China

gave two test drives in my Model 3 today with my coffee crew - two Model 3 orders placed after test drives - it's a good car.

now all we need to do is get Elon to keep his mouth shut.
I'm test driving a Model X in two weeks. We just had solar installed on our house and now my wife wants an all electric SUV. She currently has the Volvo XC90 Hybrid. I'll be very interested to see how it compares to the Volvo and my Panamera.

Quick Reply: I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars