Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

same setup here - EV for daily driving and the twice year road trips - and a GT3 to flog at the track!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:37 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill
After driving the Model 3, Model S, Model X, Bolt, i3, Leaf and owning a Fiat 500e I've come to realize that they all drive the same on the street, practically speaking.

If the Taycan doesn't offer 300 miles range, AWD and a base price of $75k (as initially advertised), I'll be running - not walking - to the Tesla dealer with my refunded deposit...

Thoughts?
I agree with all that you say but the X is too big and tall and the S is too dated. Eyeing the E-tron Quattro but yes the distance is important.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=daveo4porsche;15132951]just as I feared - the Panamera 4S options into the mid $140's - if you trick it out - http://www.porsche-code.com/PJJTLRQ4

I did realize however - that I will be skipping the PCCB's - brakes are used so infrequently on EV's - that I'm be very very curious to see if Porsche even offers them as an option - maybe the new Ceramic carbon brakes they have on the Cayenne will be the option - still un-necesary IMHO - LOL for ceramic brakes on an EV with regenerative braking! Hadn't thought about that![/QUOTE ]PSCB arn't ceramic but all the same understood.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Taycan, Tesla etc.

After driving the Model 3, Model S, Model X, Bolt, i3, Leaf and owning a Fiat 500e I've come to realize that they all drive the same on the street, practically speaking.

If the Taycan doesn't offer 300 miles range, AWD and a base price of $75k (as initially advertised), I'll be running - not walking - to the Tesla dealer with my refunded deposit...

Thoughts?
you might get some advertising with this link

https://money.cnn.com/video/news/201...ney/index.html
Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

If the Taycan doesn't offer 300 miles range, AWD and a base price of $75k (as initially advertised)
The "300 miles range" is something to be seen in practice and heavily depends on the driving style, just like with any car. But you would expect Porsche to offer their cars with competitive range.

The Taycan will of course be AWD - as the Mission E concepts have one motor on each axle why would Porsche now decide that the production car won't have two motors? A variant with just one rear-mounted motor could be on table in the future however - rumours from Georg Kacher on the matter:
According to those in the know, Porsche is definitely considering three Mission E models tentatively rated at 300 kW/402 hp, 400 kW/536 hp, and 500 kW/670 hp with badging that will mirror current lineup offerings. All-wheel drive will initially be standard equipment, but Porsche might later offer an entry-level rear-drive version. The front-wheel-drive module reportedly delivers 160 kW/215 hp at 16,000 rpm with a constant peak torque of 221 lb-ft. At full boost, Porsche can briefly claim some 325 lb-ft. There are two different specifications in the works for the rear-drive unit. While the base motor is rated at 240 kW/322 hp and 251 lb-ft, the performance version is good for 320 kW/429 hp and 406 lb-ft, sources say. The two-speed transmission is being developed to allow for full-throttle upshifts, and an electronically controlled limited-slip rear differential will be an option.
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/d...che-mission-e/

As for the pricing structure similar to the Panamera ($75k for the base) I don't think that's been openly advertised or confirmed, just something that was mentioned as planned by an executive years ago. The car itself has not even been revealed yet, let alone pricing published.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:21 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
you might get some advertising with this link

https://money.cnn.com/video/news/201...ney/index.html
I just got home from a few days in New Orleans where I saw exactly ONE Tesla and no other EVs. It is strange because even here in Salt Lake I see EVs everywhere, every day, especially Teslas! I know California is also swarming with them.
This begs the question - when people talk about the "hype" of Tesla and the failure to deliver cars is it simply because they live in an area where they never actually see a Tesla on the road?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:25 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

I just got home from a few days in New Orleans where I saw exactly ONE Tesla and no other EVs. It is strange because even here in Salt Lake I see EVs everywhere, every day, especially Teslas! I know California is also swarming with them.
This begs the question - when people talk about the "hype" of Tesla and the failure to deliver cars is it simply because they live in an area where they never actually see a Tesla on the road?
People fear what they don't know. A large portion of population especially those in certain demography and geographic locations still don't know much about Tesla. Not helping is a lot of people on the internet with their specific agenda are bad mouthing the company and its products. The brighter side is there are enough people who do know about it. These are enough to support the company at the moment. The rest will eventually learn. I wouldn't have known Tesla if not for a guy in the office who drives one to here everyday.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Well I've spent all of Tesla's life living in probably it's biggest market to date, surrounded by them. And I've been a big proponent of the hype of Tesla getting way ahead of the product and the company. I've never felt the cars were as special as the early adopters claimed them to be and were very overpriced for what they are. And after driving a Model S with eyes open, I felt the same way. I also think the valuation of the company has had nothing to with its fundamentals and everything to do with hype and fantasy. Nothing against the Company or EVs; if they produce a car I like, I'd buy it. I just haven't been as enamored with the product as the hard core Tesla crowd, and I know a lot of people who feel the same way. Makes me chuckle whenever I talk to an uber fan boy and they are gobsmacked that I don't love the cars, as if I have a mental defect or I'm just an anti-EV dinosaur.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:42 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
LOL for ceramic brakes on an EV with regenerative braking! Hadn't thought about that!
Still, might need 'um. One way to look at it: If a Tesla P100D can go up and down, 0-60-0, in the same amount of time on each end, and produce well over 500KW on the way up, how much is there available to regenerate on the way down? Probably about 500KW, if not on a hill. Right? With Tesla at only ~60KW and Formula E at 200KW regen, you still need a good amount of friction braking. Taycan probably won't offer much more than this, and regardless of how much better Porsche's motor/battery cooling system is, it will heat up faster as you lean more on the regen. So, not over-heating the car will potentially mean leaning more on the brakes. A lot more, if it comes in at 4,500-5,000lbs. I'd consider ceramics.

Last edited by wogamax; 08-13-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Any reduction in unsprung weight would be welcome for an EV as well.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 AM
unclewill
Racer

Ceramic brakes are totally unnecessary for road cars.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Ceramic brakes are totally unnecessary for road cars.
As is 500+ HP, but since when is the word 'necessary' relevant to the discussion about high dollar performance cars...
Old 08-14-2018, 02:26 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

given how much I use the brakes for daily driving (i.e. nearly never) in my Model S P85D - I'll be skipping the ceramic brakes if they are an option for the Taycan.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:15 PM
unclewill
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
As is 500+ HP, but since when is the word 'necessary' relevant to the discussion about high dollar performance cars...
So true...

As daveo4porsche says, EVs don't use brakes the same way ICE cars do so the long wearing advantages of ceramics is less important. Lower unsprung weight and high heat capacity from repeated hard braking events don't really apply to a 4500lb four door road car in the real world, though bragging rights seem to have value to the gold chain crowd. $8500 is a pretty hefty sum for bragging rights in my opinion.
500 hp is a happy byproduct of the long range battery capacity - have cake, eat it too!
I expect the Taycan to be more luxury than sports car, a fast, quiet, comfortable road car with room for four + luggage. I also expect it will have quick but numb steering, a firmer ride and more sensitive throttle than pure luxury cars to give the driver a sense that it carries less mass than it does. The tires and wheel diameters will be the wild card, though Porsche will likely offer a variety to choose from - range vs. stickiness. And a hatchback perhaps?
Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM
JMartinni
Racer

'Less braking required' would make carbon-ceramic rotors even more of a plus, even less wear from general day-to-day use but great braking performance on top of regenerative braking when you need it (it's a heavy car after all) plus less weight, unsprung at that, to carry around all the time. Wouldn't be surprised if PCCB ends up being standard on the top model Taycan.

Quick Reply: I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars