Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
LOL - no demand for EV's
You are kidding right?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:40 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Porsche will have their own dedicated network of charging stations.

As to price, expect it to be about 15% cheaper than a similarly equipped Panamera.

And, let's not kid ourselves, the uptake on the Taycan is going very well. With deliveries more than a year out (e.g. 4Q19), many (not all) dealers have hundreds of customers putting down deposits, some with more.
Good luck with that - we won't know what the take up is likely to be for a number of years.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:40 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

yes I'm kidding that there is no demand for EV's - but yet the argument keeps coming up…
Old 07-19-2018, 01:42 AM
groundhog
Race Car

There is demand at the right price and in certain countries with infrastructure in place. I'm certainly not going to be gamed by Porsche dealers - in two or three years I'll assess whats out there and pick the best option then. There is little to credit Porsche with in this space - there really isn't.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
There is demand at the right price and in certain countries with infrastructure in place.
I'm not sure what you are not getting.

Porsche is going to have about 500 superfast charging stations by 4Q2019 in the U.S. By comparison, Tesla currently has something like 425 such stations across the U.S.

And the uptake of Taycan deposits is not #FakeNews. It's straight from speaking with GMs at 4 different Porsche dealers. And just for full disclosure, I did not put down a deposit, nor am I in the market for the Taycan.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:46 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm not sure what you are not getting.

Porsche is going to have about 500 superfast charging stations by 4Q2019 in the U.S. By comparison, Tesla currently has something like 425 such stations across the U.S.

And the uptake of Taycan deposits is not #FakeNews. It's straight from speaking with GMs at 4 different Porsche dealers. And just for full disclosure, I did not put down a deposit, nor am I in the market for the Taycan.
"They are going to have".........and "Tesla currently has" are two very different things, and, importantly the US perspective is far, far from universal.

For full disclosure, I'm not in the market for an EV at this moment in time - but will likely be once the dust has settled on the politics, the practicality and the execution (several to 10 years away). Even then it will only be as a run about daily.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:47 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

personal opinions matter a lot and I respect them - and to each their own - but the blandness and awfulness of the Tesla is overblown in my opinion - it goes beyond fan boys and a need to justify your purchase - Tesla's customers are very loyal - very few people have problems them and most will consider buying a Tesla again - once you get over the initial impression - and actually live with the car and watch it get better with a. couple of software updates (and I'm not taking bug fixes, but actually get more functional with an update) you grow to love the car...very very few Tesla customers regret their purchase and you can't really say that 25x,000 cars sold world wide is purely a fan boy business - the cars have some depth - the Model X front cockpit is a joy to travel in - comfortable, light, airy and the visibility due to the Helicopter windshield is breath taking in the right environment and scenery.

The cars have their problems and fit and finish isn't up to snuff with "the best" - but it is more than good enough and I think the problem people focus on are overblown to the point people refuse to see past them - the cars really are quite good and joy to drive - very few people live with the car for more than a couple of weeks and end up not liking them - but lots of people focus on a few flaws (debatable flaws but enough to justify an preconceived biases) and never given them a chance.

that being said I'll keep my Model X and gladly trade in my Model S for Taycan if the car is any good, priced well, and the charging network is not vaporware - Tesla is not bad, but Porsche has the ability to be better and I'll take that any day.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

a lot depends on:

1. where are the chargers - if they are all at dealers - buzz - bad decision
2. charing locations matter but number of stalls at each location is WAY more important - most Tesla superchargers have 8 or more stalls (with some having up to 40)
3. 500 charging stations with 1 or 2 stalls is nearly pointless
4. 800 volt 400 amps (350,000 watts) is beyond most commercial feed capabilities and certainly beyond the abilities if you have 6-16 stalls each doing 350,000 watts - Porsche has already stated to get this they have to have an accumulator system (i.e. local onsite storage) to be able to discharge at this rate - once that accumulator is empty hte actual charging rate will probably suffer

Tesla plans to double the number of charging stations by end of 2019 - and this is an area in which they have not overpromised, rather they have delivered and continue to deliver in this space.

1,308 superchargers online and active TODAY, 10,622 stalls online and active TODAY - and plans to double the network in the next 18 months - and locations where you actually need to charge - i.e. between major cities on major highways in the locations you're about to run out of juice (i.e. no Porsche dealer near by)…

we'll see - but for hte time being I'm going to suggest Porsche (and the other existing car manufactures) are really really under estimating this particular aspect of Tesla ownership.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:59 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^this type of infrastructure takes years to develop and is critical to the roll out of EVs - in this regard, in the US and Norway Tesla is ahead of the game.

For Porsche a lot will depend on what VAG does as a whole.

The actual major limiting factor in terms of roll out relates to transmission and distribution networks and associated infrastructure. High wattage delivery (IV) requires upgraded and uprated transmission and distribution networks along with step-down transformers and associated substations. The cost of upgrading this is best described as "nation building" the cost is vast and is yet to be factored in.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:42 PM
rpv911
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When will we know what the production car is going to look like?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Charging infrastructure is for people that need to drive their car more than 300 miles per day...how many folks only have an EV for that currently? Electrify America has already begun building 800 Volt charging stations and hopefully they will have a good amount by the time this car arrives around December next year. https://www.electrifyamerica.com/

Every one of the 191 Porsche stores will have multiple 800 Volt stations and as the car comes with the standard plug you can use any of the other companies stations: https://www.plugshare.com/

As for why a Porsche should be more than a Tesla the fact that the car has a better fit and finish, way better interior materials including leather options, twice as fast charging, expected better handling and braking, superior buying and leasing options, better resale value, and most importantly the car is built in Germany and needs to be imported here which also raises the price. Why is a 911 more than a Corvette? I expect to see multiple versions of the Taycan as according to CAR magazine their could be 3 models with single and dual motors like on the Tesla range. We will see what the final pricing and configurations look like next year but we are now approaching 80 deposits at our store without the full details. I hope Porsche is planning on building a lot of these cars!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 PM
rpv911
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the real question is.. are we positive that they're going to slap ugly mirrors on it and take away the cameras? Look at the lines how can they do this
Old 07-19-2018, 11:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

mirrors are required for road safety and a US regulation for street legal cars.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the model looks like the concept - which still in my mind is not confirmation that the model is a representation of the production car - we'll have to see. Can anyone confirm the model represents the PRODUCTION car and not just a rehash of the concept.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

https://electrek.co/2017/03/15/vw-ev...rging-station/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars