Sponsored by:

I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:27 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Adriaan
A Porsche employee who likes a Porsche product, what a surprise, didn't see that coming...
Pure marketing, a Porsche dinosaur, who was always skeptical about BEV's is now slowly starting to like them, all part of the marketing strategy.

The model Y looks like very good value indeed. A model Y and a 997 GTS of a early 991 for the price of a taycan? I'n not so sure about the taycan anymore at this price level.
Honestly I haven't been happy with Porsche quality/reliability lately. Seems Porsche now designs their cars to last just until the warranty expires, after that, god help you! Look at all the scored cylinder issues and now PDK failures ($25k repair). Its absolutely nuts!

It will be interesting to see how many Taycans Porsche sells, but I think they missed the mark on price. Judging from past experience, I am almost positive Porsche will design the Taycan to bleed customers dry throughout it's service life. No thanks!
Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
You’re extrapolating this from your experience with a decade old Mercedes?
And various others. Plus experiences of neighbors, friends, relatives, and participating in other automotive web forums. (I've been following various auto internet forums since the usenet days of the 1980s.) I currently own six cars, but most are boring GM stuff. So not really applicable to discussing on this esteemed forum.

Statistically ICE reliability and durability continue to improve along with power, emissions and efficiency. These are not improving at nearly the same rate as EVs, however.
IME, the ICE manufacturers are doing what they can to get the cars through the mandatory emissions warranty. After that, who cares what it cost to keep 'em running.

It’s pretty clear to me that next the decade’s supercars will all be pure EV or hybrid. While most of those are likely to be exercises in excess I also fully expect some real electric drivers cars to materialize as well. Thus far I’ve owned 2 pure EVs and a plug-in hybrid, and they all hint at great potential- instant torque, seamless torque vectoring, etc. But thus far they have shown significant flaws that have held them back (for me) as satisfying tools for enthusiastic back-road blasts. I’ll readily admit I’m not your average consumer, having owned a dozen Porsches along with a mix of other high performance cars and having competed for over two decades. I’ve also had the fortune to test many cars, hybrids and EVs going right back to the beginning- 918, original Tesla roadster, Wrightspeed X1 (talk about a fun EV)... I get that many will be quite satisfied and even impressed with the Model 3 as it stands. I personally find it a big step forwards dynamically from the Model S but still well short of comparable sports sedans and certainly any modern Porsche sports car in terms of fun factor.
And that is all fair. For me, the pivotal moment was back in 2010 or so with the Tesla Roadster. After some long discussions with my neighbor, who has been with Tesla since nearly the beginning, it checked off all the boxes addressing various myths and prejudices I'd had up to that time. Battery costs have come down an order of magnitude since then. I see no reason to go back to pure ICE. PHEV still has its place - for a few years.

I look forward to seeing how much of that gap Porsche will close with the Taycan. In the meantime I quite am happy with my Model 3 as a DD, but I’m not going to pretend it’s something it’s not. And I find it laughable if some think that makes me “prejudiced”. Exactly the opposite.
I'm also really interested in seeing what Porsche can contribute to the fray. At this point, I don't think I will be in the market for a Taycan. If it were $10-15k more than a Model 3, and they do a significantly better job on range/MPGe than their buddies over at Audi did with the eTron, maybe? But at 2-3x, um, no. If I really want dead animal skins on the seats in my TM3 I can pay an aftermarket installer $2-3k for the privilege. Aftermarket suspension parts are already being produced as well.

If Porsche came out with a sleek electric sports coupe similar to, and priced like, a Cayman I think they would have a real hit on their hands.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

From my read, the bottom line is that this car will probably start in the price range that their potential customer can afford to play around with their money to try out this car. I don't Porsche intended to market an economically priced EV. Let's remember we're likely talking about a 6 figure vehicle and it's not uncommon in this era to see six figure vehicles (EV or not). I think the car will sell, and people with foolish money will buy it. I think their intent the whole time has been to sell a luxury EV.......
Old 05-24-2019, 02:21 PM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
If Porsche came out with a sleek electric sports coupe similar to, and priced like, a Cayman I think they would have a real hit on their hands.
Electric Cayman/Boxter would be of the greatest interest to me although at this point Tesla is probably the only company that has the ability to do it at a reasonable cost. It does not look like it will do that though. Two seater is a diminishing market which is a very unfortunate thing. You can't blame those companies it's just a business reality. Even Porsche has learned promoting Macan instead of Cayman/Boxter is good for the bottom line.

Originally Posted by Ccpecot
From my read, the bottom line is that this car will probably start in the price range that their potential customer can afford to play around with their money to try out this car. I don't Porsche intended to market an economically priced EV. Let's remember we're likely talking about a 6 figure vehicle and it's not uncommon in this era to see six figure vehicles (EV or not). I think the car will sell, and people with foolish money will buy it. I think their intent the whole time has been to sell a luxury EV.......
Only if it offers enough things that a lower priced car does not have. Selling a car only by high price and exclusivity may work some of the times but most times it would not. Even weathy people are not that gullible.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccpecot
Your right. It’s typical Porsche and yet somehow disappointing to me. Porsche will have no problem selling them but I’m not likely to buy one no matter how great it is is the latest reports on models offered and pricing ring true. For the pricing they are talking about I don’t want a stripped out EV with a small battery and single motor RWD. Honestly might as well buy a model 3 or used model S or a Panamera/cayenne hybrid which many dealers are offering aggressive discounts on. Also I realize most Porsche owners expect to pay up for options and enjoy the drive/don’t want self driving options but many EV owners/buyers expect adaptive cruise/autopilot/blind spot/etc. and the full suite of 2019 safety features/driver aids. I don’t think it’s right to offer an EV in 2019 with most or all of these items as optional equipment. Porsche strategy works with sports cars but I’m not so sure about EVs. Hoping this is all moot once we get the reveal and info.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (07-12-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:56 AM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Remember this thread started 13 months ago? I guess Porsche doesn’t read these after all! ������
The following 3 users liked this post by unclewill:
ace10 (09-05-2019), RonF (09-05-2019), T3X4S (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill
Remember this thread started 13 months ago? I guess Porsche doesn’t read these after all! ������
Funny.....yep, pricing is nuts.
The following users liked this post:
unclewill (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 AM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Jaguar is already offering $849 lease deals, 0% financing and $10,000 discounts on the iPaces languishing on dealer lots. Porsche must be scrambling right now to do something to avoid having the Taycan suffer the same fate.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:18 AM
RonF
Racer

Why Porsche was throwing out those 20,000 and 40,000 production numbers? What were they thinking?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill
Excellent thread bump! LOL, clearly Porsche does not believe AT ALL that price sells these cars.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 161 Posts

Porsche makes far better jewelry than Tesla. Performance data doesn't really matter. Tesla is becoming a non-exclusive brand, as Musk intended. Porsche will sell the Taycan in good numbers, I think. The first buyers won't care about the price. Unless they strip out too much stuff for the lesser models, I would certainly consider it over a similarly priced Model S. That's a goofy comparison, really, since the Model S is a big car, not a sports car.

The most impressive thing about the Taycan is that Porsche obviously took it very seriously. It faced disadvantages like everyone else relative to Tesla, some it could not overcome (e.g., having to buy batteries on the open market), but it seems pretty good to me. Tesla certainly had to learn some things early on. Porsche is certainly capable of mistakes - even within their traditional expertise - so we'll have to wait to see about those.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Adk46
Porsche makes far better jewelry than Tesla. Performance data doesn't really matter. Tesla is becoming a non-exclusive brand, as Musk intended. Porsche will sell the Taycan in good numbers, I think. The first buyers won't care about the price. Unless they strip out too much stuff for the lesser models, I would certainly consider it over a similarly priced Model S. That's a goofy comparison, really, since the Model S is a big car, not a sports car.
The Model S is big, yes. The Taycan is the same width, basically same length (1" difference) and 200lbs MORE. The Taycan is 3" lower and has much less cabin and luggage space. Most times getting less usable space out of the same volume, and still having a much higher weight, is not considered an engineering achievement.

The most impressive thing about the Taycan is that Porsche obviously took it very seriously. It faced disadvantages like everyone else relative to Tesla, some it could not overcome (e.g., having to buy batteries on the open market), but it seems pretty good to me. Tesla certainly had to learn some things early on. Porsche is certainly capable of mistakes - even within their traditional expertise - so we'll have to wait to see about those.
It's going to be interesting what the spread in performance and price between the top spec and the 4S will be. If Porsche kneecaps the Taycan 4S to protect the Panamera and Taycan top specs, Tesla really won't have much to worry about.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

I've had a deposit for 2 years and was expecting a price some where around 85-95k but this is outrageous. 160-180k plus options. I understand its the top of the line model but they are leading with this? lead with the best I guess but these are EV's. I respect what they built and the car is beautiful, performance is good but the pricing and low driving range compared to a Tesla model S/3 (LR and performance) are disappointing. I mean is it twice as good as the competition? They are also saying it as a sports car...its a sedan, 5,000lbs+, 0-60 2.6, 0-100-0 on a carrier, 4 doors and trunk = still a Sedan. Taycan length 195" Model S 197". Forget the Tesla bashing. They are amazing cars and leaders in EV who were doing this 10+ years before Porsche had anything more than a 12v battery in their cars. They have also continuously improved the car while lowering the pricing and building out a nationwide supercharger and destination charger network, I don't think Porsche will ever do that on their own on that scale.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/p...ce-comparison/ there is a good comparison to the model s v. taycan facts and figures here.

Based on the responses on social media among the celebrity Porsche personalities and GT/918/CGT owners I'm sure they will have no problem selling these 160k+ cars for those crowds. but after that will they worry about us who were waiting for the promised starting price between cayenne and panamera and 300 mile range in 12-24 months. I will also venture to guess that in the lower end models they will have to offer lower range (smaller battery) in addition to lower performance because the turbo has to be the best of everything and given the already low range of the turbo models the lower end models will make even less sense despite its design and Porsche crest. I have a feeling that the lower end Taycan owner will get tired of getting dusted in the red light derby by model S/3's searching for the imaginary 800v chargers (with comparable pricing to a fill up with gas) while the Tesla owner is driving another 100 miles to a supercharger or final destination. looks like ill keep my 911's and add a Tesla. Although the discounted prices plus partial EV tax credit for the e-hybrid cayenne and panamera maybe a good intermediate step for now if I want to stay with the brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brig993:
daveo4porsche (09-05-2019), GTorTT (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 01:03 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I do not understand the hand wringing owed to price at. all. Do you not see the Turbo and Turbo S designations? Do you not know what a 911 or Panamera Turbo or Turbo S costs? Hint: basically the same.

Jeez fellas. Wait for the 4 and 4S before passing judgement. If you want to let the 250 mile range sway you at $85k that's fine. But don't pretend it's about the range at $150k+.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:13 PM
RonF
Racer

Originally Posted by pokingaround
I do not understand the hand wringing owed to price at. all. Do you not see the Turbo and Turbo S designations? Do you not know what a 911 or Panamera Turbo or Turbo S costs? Hint: basically the same.

Jeez fellas. Wait for the 4 and 4S before passing judgement. If you want to let the 250 mile range sway you at $85k that's fine. But don't pretend it's about the range at $150k+.
Don't get your hopes up. It's almost certain 4 and 4S will have smaller battery and likely even less range.

If this is true it looks even worse than we thought.

Quick Reply: I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars