Sponsored by:

I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:40 AM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill

LOL! That’s awesome! I look at what VW has done with the ID Buzz van and think of what could be...
Audi has just took wraps off the E-Tron. A huge disappointment there. Compares to a 3 year old Model X it seats less, has lower range and efficiency and way inferior acceleration. Hard to say it's because VWG does not have the will or means but it's just not too promising for EV coming out of there in the near future imo.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:54 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RonF
Audi has just took wraps off the E-Tron. A huge disappointment there. Compares to a 3 year old Model X it seats less, has lower range and efficiency and way inferior acceleration. Hard to say it's because VWG does not have the will or means but it's just not too promising for EV coming out of there in the near future imo.
The Etron SUV is built on the mlb platform which is not optimized for EVs. It also looks like it is as aerodynamic as a brick. It also weighs over 5600lb! So, 200 miles range from 95kwh is not surprising. It is at heart a compliance car for meeting the California consent decree so it will likely die an unceremonious death once the meb platform vehicles hit the road in earnest. I wonder what will become of the j1 chassis such as the Taycan at that time?
The meb chassis is the one to wait for. I saw it in the VW showroom in Berlin along with a mid sized VW suv called I.D. Crozz which looked to be more on par with what most would expect from a modern EV. They are saying 300 miles from 83 kWh batteries which would be outstanding. They are also saying production in 2020. The meb platform is flexible enough to make for some very cool designs.
I salute VW for pledging to phase out ICEs over the next ten years. The future looks very bright indeed! Not surprising to me as an engineer - once one sees the potential of the modern EVs, it’s really hard to get excited about further developing reciprocating engines.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:03 AM
unclewill
Racer

Porsche’s EV honcho just confirmed to Norwegian deposit holders that only the highest priced Taycan variants will be offered first. This implies that the $85,000 Taycan is as much “vaporware” as the $35,000 Model 3. So, now the question becomes “How much are you willing to pay for a four door sedan with a 90 kWh battery?”
Old 01-25-2019, 11:14 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow.......if that's true here in the U.S.......that will make the decision easier......to 'leave' a $130K test mule body....rather than the hoped-for Mission E body.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Well

Porsche’s EV honcho just confirmed to Norwegian deposit holders that only the highest priced Taycan variants will be offered first. This implies that the $85,000 Taycan is as much “vaporware” as the $35,000 Model 3. So, now the question becomes “How much are you willing to pay for a four door sedan with a 90 kWh battery?”
We know how well the Tesla were able to do with a 90 kWh battery, and we know how poorly the range came out on a I-Pace with a 90 kWh battery, so lets wait for the reviews of the production model first.

Heck, maybe they can even out do the present Teslas and get a range over 350 miles with a 90 kWh battery, that would be something!

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian, and other BEVs fan)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:23 PM
RonF
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Looks Porsche still does not know how to do the PPE. Not going to give too much hope to the Taycan that it will be competitive.

https://electrek.co/2019/02/09/tesla...e-engineering/
Old 05-14-2019, 11:54 AM
unclewill
Racer

Yep, sure enough, according to Automobile magazine from a “reliable source” the base 2WD Taycan will “start in the low $90s” despite the initial promise of a $75k starting price. When Tesla promised a $35k M3 then failed to deliver immediately (but ultimately did deliver) the haters cried and pitched a fit and called Elon Musk a liar.

So come on haters! We’ve really been lied to this time as there will never be a $75,000 Taycan! Duped again! Doh!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:00 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Panorama magazine stated that each Taycan will represent a loss for Porsche of between $6800 to $11300 depending on model.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:41 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Years ago I guessed the E would go for $140 or so.
None of this 2-wheel, 4-wheel, 3-model crap really bothers me that much.......that they are not building the E does.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 PM
beaudawg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Etron SUV is built on the mlb platform which is not optimized for EVs. It also looks like it is as aerodynamic as a brick. It also weighs over 5600lb! So, 200 miles range from 95kwh is not surprising. It is at heart a compliance car for meeting the California consent decree so it will likely die an unceremonious death once the meb platform vehicles hit the road in earnest. I wonder what will become of the j1 chassis such as the Taycan at that time?
The meb chassis is the one to wait for. I saw it in the VW showroom in Berlin along with a mid sized VW suv called I.D. Crozz which looked to be more on par with what most would expect from a modern EV. They are saying 300 miles from 83 kWh batteries which would be outstanding. They are also saying production in 2020. The meb platform is flexible enough to make for some very cool designs.
I salute VW for pledging to phase out ICEs over the next ten years. The future looks very bright indeed! Not surprising to me as an engineer - once one sees the potential of the modern EVs, it’s really hard to get excited about further developing reciprocating engines.
300 miles by which measure? It has recently come to light that Porsche's claim of 500 km (~310 miles) for the Taycan is based on the NEDC cycle, which has proven to be grossly unreliable compared to real world use. For comparison, that would probably equate to only 220 miles on the EPA cycle.

By comparison, the Model 3 LR AWD gets an EPA rating of 310 miles from only a 75 kWh pack (LR RWD is even better at 335 miles). Meanwhile, the Model S LR (AWD), the car the Taycan is really competing against, is EPA rated at 370 miles from a 100 kWh pack.

The Taycan will no doubt be a better looking, and better built vehicle. I'm in line for the Taycan. But Porsche need to do better than what they've promised.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:49 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As discussed, problem is the network of charging stations. If Tesla was smart and wants to make money, they would license their stations to other car manufactures to share their network.

Porsche/Audi do make better quality cars compared to Tesla. That is obvious. But how will they deal with charging network.....
Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

What happened to that beautiful concept body?

New drives from automobile Magazine with the tearful front lenses and sagging huge red plastic rear are indeed sad.

Porsche won’t sell many of these. There are 3 rennlisters watching here world wide which forebodes future sales and the way Porsche sabotaged the ridiculous escalated pricing on the Panameras will be a another knock on this e model. And the Turbo designation?? Ridiculous

Last edited by Outlaw; 05-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

After driving the Model 3, Model S, Model X, Bolt, i3, Leaf and owning a Fiat 500e I've come to realize that they all drive the same on the street, practically speaking.

If the Taycan doesn't offer 300 miles range, AWD and a base price of $75k (as initially advertised), I'll be running - not walking - to the Tesla dealer with my refunded deposit...

Thoughts?
Get those running shoes on.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
Years ago I guessed the E would go for $140 or so.
None of this 2-wheel, 4-wheel, 3-model crap really bothers me that much.......that they are not building the E does.
Aside from the suicide doors, how do you know this? Have you seen the finished production car?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
What happened to that beautiful concept body?

New drives from automobile Magazine with the tearful front lenses and sagging huge red plastic rear are indeed sad.

Porsche won’t sell many of these. There are 3 rennlisters watching here world wide which forebodes future sales and the way Porsche sabotaged the ridiculous escalated pricing on the Panameras will be a another knock on this e model. And the Turbo designation?? Ridiculous
1. Unless you have seen the production car in person, I suggest you reserve judgement until then.

2. My prediction: Porsche will sell all of these, with no more incentives than on any other production Porsche.

Quick Reply: I hope Porsche realizes that price is gonna sell these cars