Rennlist Member

Received 10,786 Likes on 4,775 Posts
Default Taycan at the Nurburgring

Old 07-09-2018, 11:35 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello *****. Thanks for sharing.

Can it successfully complete a lap at full power without overheating or entering limp mode?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:38 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

well let's hope - the Tesla Model S can't even complete a lap at the ring without neutering itself due to battery thermal management - I really really hope this EV has some stamina when it comes to high performance (I know Porsche has stated that is a goal, but we'll need to see the car actually meet that goal)....

and LOL - who are they fooling with the fake exhaust pipes!
Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

It doesn't sound like anything. haha
Old 07-10-2018, 04:31 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

The car weighs 2150kg, in olde worlde thats 4730lbs or a staggering 250lbs heavier than the Panamera - you can't disguise the weight of a car round a track.

Taycan means spirited young horse according to Porsche - according to google translate - "refer to Porsche marketing department for some meaningless clap trap that focus groups said played well in SE asia".

According to simulations it will run round the ring in under 8mins.........................why would anyone bother...........its the antithesis of a light weight sports car.

Also its price point will be equivalent to the entry level Panamera - where I live thats $240k - and I will never pay that for an electric vehicle.

I think Porsche will need to take a good hard look at its marketing strategy going forward - why? because there is no reason to pay a substantial premium for an EV why? because you are not getting a unique driving experience or unique character - the difference between EVs will come down to size, range, charging time, fit and finish.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-10-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:49 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
The car weighs 2150kg, in olde worlde thats 4730lbs or a staggering 250lbs heavier than the Panamera - you can't disguise the weight of a car round a track.
Porsche haven't mentioned a weight of 2150kg for the car anywhere.

Also its price point will be equivalent to the entry level Panamera - where I live thats $240k - and I will never pay that for an electric vehicle.

I think Porsche will need to take a good hard look at its marketing strategy going forward - why? because there is no reason to pay a substantial premium for an EV why? because you are not getting a unique driving experience or unique character - the difference between EVs will come down to size, range, charging time, fit and finish.
Porsche aren't in the market to offer cheap EVs. They're not going to offer an electric Panamera-like vehicle for a substantially cheaper price than a Panamera, nor do they have much reason to beat Tesla in price.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Well the suspension sure looks to be doing a lot better than the last time we saw an early prototype bobbing and weaving around the track. I'm optimistic that this car is going to be awesome. What I'm not optimistic about is the price. I just don't buy that it's going to be anywhere near $80-90k for a well specced car.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

+1 Archimedes - I really don't think this segment is price sensitive - they only have to match Tesla - and as mentioned in another thread Porsche in the US will have a $7500 tax credit advantage soon - that Tesla will not.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by JMartinni
Porsche haven't mentioned a weight of 2150kg for the car anywhere.
Yes they have
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/201...we-know-so-far

Porsche aren't in the market to offer cheap EVs. They're not going to offer an electric Panamera-like vehicle for a substantially cheaper price than a Panamera, nor do they have much reason to beat Tesla in price.
They will be fighting it out for survival with Tesla/Audi/BMW/MB - its a reset of the playing field - there is zero product differentiation therefore pricing will be critical. Arguably, Audi are ahead in interiors and electronics, BMW are ahead in terms of all round product development and MB are ahead in L5 driverless vehicle, Tesla are basically screwed other than in the US (and as a company may not survive due to a failure of revenue delivery relative to cash burn).

At our recent 70th anniversary drive day and lunch - the question was asked at the after lunch talk "who's interested in the Mission E/Taycan" - only two hands went up, out of about 150 attendees - think about that. Although, its fair to say the drive was dominated by 911s and 981s of various types.

In reality its not so much Tesla that's disrupted the market but rather the shambolic EU with its forced deadlines and drive for energy security - the consequence for Porsche is severe.

Hence punching the Taycan round the ring is a big who cares - why? because thats not how the cars are ever likely to be driven e.g. Do you see Panameras, Cayennes, Macans racing round the ring? No - so why bother with the heavyweight Taycan.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-11-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

If this is what the car looks like I am out....regardless of price, range, or charging network. Totally uninspiring for me. The Parade version is hopefully what it looks like...then I am totally inspired...When do we think we will know what the final version will look like?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:46 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

The worst part about the video is watching this thing quietly driving around while sweet sounds of car and motorcycle engines are present in the background reminding me of what vehicles with a soul are like.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Quoting some website that doesn't source its claims? It may well weigh 2150kg but Porsche have not revealed the production car nor mentioned any production specs yet, that's a fact. Which makes discussion based on some weight figure pointless.

They will be fighting it out for survival with Tesla/Audi/BMW/MB - its a reset of the playing field - there is zero product differentiation therefore pricing will be critical. Arguably, Audi are ahead in interiors and electronics, BMW are ahead in terms of all round product development and MB are ahead in L5 driverless vehicle, Tesla are basically screwed other than in the US (and as a company may not survive due to a failure of revenue delivery relative to cash burn).
Interesting, Porsche are fighting for survival now, against sister brand Audi?

At our recent 70th anniversary drive day and lunch - the question was asked at the after lunch talk "who's interested in the Mission E/Taycan" - only two hands went up, out of about 150 attendees - think about that. Although, its fair to say the drive was dominated by 911s and 981s of various types.
Asking what are presumably in majority Porsche sports car enthusiasts if they want a Panamera-sized EV isn't getting great response, big surprise. Not really a good example of the wider market.

Hence punching the Taycan round the ring is a big who cares - why? because thats not how the cars are ever likely to be driven e.g. Do you see Panameras, Cayennes, Macans racing round the ring? No - so why bother with the heavyweight Taycan.
So tell me, why does anyone buy Porsche Panameras, Cayennes, Macans, or any other luxury performance car if the performance part doesn't matter?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,786 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Do you see Panameras, Cayennes, Macans racing round the ring? No - so why bother with the heavyweight Taycan.
Watch YouTube much?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:12 AM
groundhog
Race Car

I said racing not driving
Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Quoting some website that doesn't source its claims? It may well weigh 2150kg but Porsche have not revealed the production car nor mentioned any production specs yet, that's a fact. Which makes discussion based on some weight figure pointless.
The article is written by Georg Kacher and Porsche don't have any technology that's substantially different to any other manufacturer (and at this point its worth noting they have little experience in producing a full modern production line EV).

So tell me, why does anyone buy Porsche Panameras, Cayennes, Macans, or any other luxury performance car if the performance part doesn't matter?
Perhaps because they want a badge in the case of the Cayenne and Macan. The Panameras are good (in fact great) but don't stack up at 270k for an entry level model (over here) and the performance is hardly relevant when the speed limit is 70MPH. I don't live in the Isle of Man and I don't live in Germany.

Porsche are trying to market the Taycan as a sports car - its not.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-12-2018 at 03:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Taycan at the Nurburgring