Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The future of the Porsche dealer network ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:13 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

here is an inspection form from some warranty work (battery software update recall since Chevy doesn't know over the air software update technology exists) - it's a pretty good map of things that don't matter on an EV…

I'll only list the items that apply:

Inspect Lighting
air/heat
wipers
windshield
horn
brake fluid
washer fluid
12 volt battery inspection
cabin HEPA filter
tires
steering/sway bar
wheel bearings
axels
suspension
Inspection of the EV drivetrain components will still be a thing though, perhaps more frequently on a high-voltage system like the Porsche than on a Tesla. And the Porsche Taycan will have a two-speed gearbox.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:31 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I know it’s not a Tesla but my 2010 Toyota Prius just requires oil changes and tires. It’s got 123k miles and it’s the best car I have ever owned. Never been to the dealer at all for any service. Still on the original pads. So most of what has been said here about electric cars is 100% spot on. It’s my daily driver and my turbo gets used on weekends.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I agree that an EV sports car vs. a sedan may have more wear/tear on the brakes and other components, but unless it's being driven hard a car that sees mostly normal street use with good regenerative braking will see very little use of the brakes in normal use.

when reviewing the service invoices for 14 months of service at a major bay area euro-mechanic (porsche, BMW, audi and other high end cars) - 85% of their service/performance revenue isn't applicable EV - but it's only about a 55% reduction in service "invoices" - but the invoices that are left are lower margin and lower cost service visits.

I think we'll wait and see - but the current trend with actual EV's on the roads is a reduction of more than 50% in normal service - but only time will tell and we'll need a lot more EV's on the road to really get a good sense - so far my EV's have been virtually maintenance free - other than consumables like tires.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:22 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
Sales department makes over double the service department..... here at least.....
But that’s because you guys are cheap for service.

And Porsche’s new car margins are unusually high.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the dealer network will be fine - but maybe some more ADM to make up for lost service revenue :LOL:
Old 06-26-2018, 04:57 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

got a flat tire yesterday - Tesla Model S P85D - driver's side front - got it repaired/replaced (front's were due to be swapped anyways) - inspected both front brakes/rotors/pads while the tires were off - 4years/50,xxx miles on the car - no appreciable wear that is easily measurable - car has been tracked for 50 or less laps so the brakes have been used once and a while - but normal highway and street driving - based on this inspection I don't foresee any time in the next few years that a brake job will be necessary - will probably trade the car for a Taycan sedan if the charging network is any good.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:04 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I don't know which is funnier- the idea that in just 10 years the vast majority of cars - no wait not cars, Porsches!- will be electric, or that Tesla has anything even remotely like a viable business model anyone (let alone Porsche) would want to emulate.
I mean, Tesla is so done-for they just laid off 9% today, with Elon so clueless he wrote in the layoff announcement that, "We've never been interested in profits." The understatement of the millennium!

The man can't make a car at a profit to save his life. I seriously doubt Porsche has anything to learn from Elon, unless maybe they want Not a Flamethrower as an anti-carjacking option in their South Africa market.
No, wait, even then Porsche would do it better.

Thanks, you made my day. Just hilarious!
Really? Porsche mastered the art of the automotive ICE age. Nobody will ever do it better than them (product, cachet, maintaining brand value, managing its fleet to hit the perfect accessibility to boutique/non-dilution ratio, margins, profits, racing victories, resale, iconicism, timelessness, classic models, etc. etc.). But their entire future is clearly copying everything Elon and Tesla started. The whole auto market is, there’s no choice. And that’s mostly thanks to Tesla not just being ahead of the curve, but literally building the new curve.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:48 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Curious, what makes you think Porsche's "entire future is clearly copying everything Elon and Tesla started"?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by JMartinni
Curious, what makes you think Porsche's "entire future is clearly copying everything Elon and Tesla started"?
Electric, electric cars that look and drive like “normal” and “sporty” cars (as opposed to ridiculously gimmicky EV as was the case before Tesla), likely straight from corporate dealer network, massive screens dominating the interior space, and utilizing who knows how many patents that Elon released into the public space, free of charge.

Also, if you were to participate in an event where you’re “focusing” on, let’s say a Taycan (MAN is that horrible name hard to say with a serious face.... err, fingers), you’ll see a Model S parked right next to it, used as an EV benchmark.

Like ‘em or not, Tesla revolutionized the auto market and everyone’s following suit.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:38 PM
JMartinni
Racer

I don't see how Porsche's future is "clearly copying" anything, especially "everything Elon and Tesla started". Elon Musk didn't invent EVs, charging networks, large infotainment screens in cars or cars being sporty. Tesla may be the benchmark and the main driving force for EVs now but that doesn't make everyone else a copycat.

For Porsche the major concern in the future is going to be emissions laws, not Tesla. And those laws would exist without Tesla.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:13 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by JMartinni
I don't see how Porsche's future is "clearly copying" anything, especially "everything Elon and Tesla started". Elon Musk didn't invent EVs, charging networks, large infotainment screens in cars or cars being sporty. Tesla may be the benchmark and the main driving force for EVs now but that doesn't make everyone else a copycat.

For Porsche the major concern in the future is going to be emissions laws, not Tesla. And those laws would exist without Tesla.
It’s the entire package. Tesla did it, reintroduced EV’s into the world in a way that was finally appealing, and is/will be followed by everyone. Honestly, I don’t see how that can be disputed. And with their market cap massively exceeding far larger car companies, no doubt those other companies will try and pivot to attempt to be seen within a similar valuation metric.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Although I agree with Tesla setting a precedent in the electric space, it is well known that their market cap/valuation is highly unusual in this market space. When you look at the company as a whole, they have not posted a profit, and have a fraction of the employees and production compared to the big automakers. My understanding in the financial world, is part of the perceived affect on the market is owed to Musks ingenious branding and future expectations for the maker. With that said, I think it’s impossible for a company to go backwards and try to follow his model from market cap perspective. However, I do believe that he’s set a good platform for how electric can work and be accepted by consumers in this market.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Slightly off topic but aside from the effect on dealer service departments, auto workers will take a hit. It takes a lot less manpower putting together an EV. Korean union bosses fear a loss of 70% of jobs. “Electric cars are disasters. They are evil. We are very nervous.”
Old 07-07-2018, 12:43 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Really? Porsche mastered the art of the automotive ICE age. Nobody will ever do it better than them (product, cachet, maintaining brand value, managing its fleet to hit the perfect accessibility to boutique/non-dilution ratio, margins, profits, racing victories, resale, iconicism, timelessness, classic models, etc. etc.). But their entire future is clearly copying everything Elon and Tesla started. The whole auto market is, there’s no choice. And that’s mostly thanks to Tesla not just being ahead of the curve, but literally building the new curve.

You clearly are clueless when it comes to Porsche so let me clue you in. One of the first cars Porsche built was electric. Which if you can be troubled to look it up (probably not, facts and all), little Elon wasn't even a gleam in his father's eye when Ferry was already driving around in an electric car that he designed and built nearly 100 years before the guy you think he is now following.

Porsche did indeed master the art of car manufacture, but its the worst weakness of the mind to conflate that with the inevitability of all cars being electric in just 10 years, which is what you just did. Two completely different things. One is pretty much a fact of history. The other, nonsense on stilts.

Yeah, yeah, what you probably meant to say was Porsche being so good at building cars will undoubtedly be good at building electric cars. But that's not what you said, its what I just said. The one is true. The other, nonsense.

I am dying to know though, exactly which things Elon is doing will Porsche be following? Building cars in a tent? Skipping brake testing? Oh, wait! I know! Launching cars into space! Its that one, right?

The one thing you sort of hit on by accident, a lot of people sure have been following Elon Musk. Following him like a Pied Piper.

Or lemmings. Take your pick.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:53 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I am dying to know though, exactly which things Elon is doing will Porsche be following? Building cars in a tent? Skipping brake testing? Oh, wait! I know! Launching cars into space! Its that one, right?

The one thing you sort of hit on by accident, a lot of people sure have been following Elon Musk. Following him like a Pied Piper.
Exactly - it surprise me that many of the business savvy people on this site don't read the Tesla SEC filings. They should.

The move over to EVs will be much slower than most speculate. The driving force behind the EU push has little to do with emissions and a lot to do with energy security.

Dealer networks will continue to exist along with Tesla approved crash repairers (that currently exist and everyone seems to ignore).

Quick Reply: The future of the Porsche dealer network ?