Sponsored by:

European Delivery for US Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:34 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Default European Delivery for US Cars?

I'm wondering if Porsche will forgo European delivery as an option for North American Mission-E cars. While electricity is probably compatible the charging connectors between North American and the rest of the world are different.

In north American the predominate charging connectors are: J-1772 and SAECombo/DC Fast which is the most likely choice Porsche will choose while in Europe they use the IEC 62196 Type 2 Mennekes Connector. If you wanted to pick up your North American Mission-E in Europe and actually drive it Porsche would need to one of 4 things.
  1. Provide a Mennekes to J-1772/DC Fast adapter
  2. Deliver the car in Europe with the Mennekes plug installed and swap it prior to shipping or after arrival in North America
  3. Deliver the car with both types of plugs so you can use either.
  4. Show you your Mission-E let you fawn over it for a bit, and provide a European Mission-E for you to drive in Europe (or gas rental car)
I pretty sure the actual onboard charging hardware will be the same for all cars, so it's just a matter of providing the physical adapters to match the plug of the car and the region in which it will be driving. I doubt Porsche will choose option #3 (it was listed for completeness) - option #1 would be nice but I'm not sure it's worth the investment - I'm going to guess #2 will be the choice, and they will have the NA dealers deal with the swap as part of the PDI once the car arrives at the dealership.

Has anyone taken delivery of a Porsche E-Hybrid in Europe? Do they let you charge the car in Europe? Or do they just rely on the gasoline portion of the car for European delivery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772
https://chargehub.com/en/electric-ca...ing-guide.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_2_connector

this is not a critical discussion but it is a small wrinkle unique to EV cars at this point in their evolution.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

BMW does not offer ED on its i-Series, so seems doubtful...
Old 09-01-2018, 09:04 PM
moomber
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European Delivery Program

I inquired at my local dealership:

Hi,

The Taycan is available for Euro Delivery.

From: Porsche Livermore 3100 Las Positas Road Livermore, CA 94551

>> Thank you for choosing Porsche of Livermore for the all new Porsche Taycan. We are taking deposits of $2,500. The Taycan is expected to be in sometime in 2019/2020. Our list if filling up quick and the spots are limited. Please give me a call or email back if you are interested in putting your name on the list.
>>
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> AJ Alkechtban
>> Porsche Brand Ambassador
>> (408) 568-9903
>> assistance@porschelivermore.dsmessage.com
Old 09-02-2018, 01:07 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Based on this response I don’t think the dealership knows anything - we don’t know how to charge a US car in Europe - any answer with out specific details about that issue is stealership nonsense.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:36 AM
moomber
3rd Gear

Default European Delivery Program

Perhaps we can all inquire our local dealership and perhaps Porsche Cars North America ?
Old 09-02-2018, 01:46 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

I'd suspect it would be delivered with the U.S. specific J1772/CCS charging port and an on-board charger that uses single phase power. While charging in Europe, you could certainly use L2 charging via a J1772-Menekes cable. These already exist because the car owner is expected to provide the cable to plug into the charging station. Might not charge as fast as a Euro car because of the single phase charger in the car vs 3-phase power available from the charging station though.

I am not sure you could do L3 DC charging. In that case the cable is part of the charger, like here in the U.S., and some form of adapter would be needed. I've read that the CCS spec actually prohibits such adapters. (E.g., something like Teslas CHAdeMO adapter would violate the spec.) No doubt someone will make one anyway since it would be just a simple pass-through. But it might be an 'underground' effort...

It will be interesting to see how Porsche attacks Japan, where a CHAdeMO capability will be a necessity, and China, where they'll need GB/T ports.

Last edited by whiz944; 09-02-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:24 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

“While electricity is probably compatible”

yeah, they have the same electricity that we do. 😂
Old 09-02-2018, 12:38 PM
moomber
3rd Gear

why don't we all ask our respective local dealership and compare notes ?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:45 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

we have our answer - the current configuration tool does not offer euro delivery as an option...that could change later - but currently not offered.
The following users liked this post:
uter (09-14-2019)

Quick Reply: European Delivery for US Cars?