Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speculation: Fake engine noises are gonna get pumped in Mission E - see video

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Speculation: Fake engine noises are gonna get pumped in Mission E - see video

Hey,

I am cool with silent cars and real cars with real noises. What I hate is fake engine noises pumped in (just like BMW does).

Now if Porsche makes us hear Electric engine whines and buzzes - then something cool could come up.

See the video and right at 55 seconds mark you can hear the talk about it and decide

Old 03-08-2018, 11:03 AM
beaudawg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

More likely referring to the various country specific legal requirements for EVs to make noise at low speed to alert pedestrians. If the show car drove onto the stage silently, then it may have raised a question from a reporter.

Also, Porsche execs have already stated there will be no fake engine/motor noises pumped into the cabin of Porsche electric vehicles.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

the Chevy Bolt makes "pink noise" at speeds below 10 mph for pedestrian safety - I hate the noise - and there are various forum posts detailing how to disable it…
Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the actual quote at 0:55 mark was:

Today it was silent - <pause> - but we are working on on ahh typical sound that - <pause> should go with electrical car
this is very interesting to me - they are not saying they are going to do "engine" noises - I think they are trying to give Porsche E cars a sound signature…Porsche is about design, visual, tactile and audible - as a design company Porsche strives to control the presentation of their product in all dimensions - how does it look, feel, sound - up until now sound design had to deal with with the elephant in the room which was the noise inherently caused by blowing up liquified micro-dots of dead dinosaurs in combustion chambers - the auto industry has taken a liability (noise) and turned it into an asset that many people feel they are entitled "hear" and people use this visceral input (engine noise) as a measure of a car's power, value, and appeal…

EV's don't blow up dead dinosaurs locally, on site - the dead dinosaur consumption happens "off site" - so we no longer have a built in audio track to manipulate for our purposes

Porsche is considering how their EV products should "sound" - this is an amazing insight into a design driven company - I look forward to what Porsche comes up with. This is Porsche controlling all aspects of their product - and recognizing that sound is at least as important as visuals - really really amazing glimpse into the thinking of a forward design company - I love Porsche.

me personally while I enjoy a good exhaust note - I prefer the lack of one - and quiet frankly I believe people's focus on exhaust notes is one of the greatest shams from the ICE industry over the past 100 years - they have taken a huge liability and turned it into an attribute - kudos to them for pulling that off - but really I can use less noise in my life.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
the Chevy Bolt makes "pink noise" at speeds below 10 mph for pedestrian safety - I hate the noise - and there are various forum posts detailing how to disable it…
Lawyers will have a field day with anyone who does this and also happens to hit a pedestrian.

Reminds me years ago, friend of mine was rear-ended bad, totaled his Honda. He was found 100% at fault because his aftermarket spoiler partially blocked the 3rd brake light.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:46 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

So....right now, even as we speak.....somewhere there in development offices there in the Zuffenhausen complex.......strange noises echo down the halls day-after-day as a dedicated team works tirelessly to determine what the future Porsche E sound signature should be.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Can I choose the sound?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
Can I choose the sound?

Old 08-19-2018, 04:55 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Mine will sound like a galloping horse if I can choose a sound.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Schnikes that Domino's pizza thing is hilarious.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:32 AM
z driver 88t
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, one fun gimmick to play with would be to program whatever engine sounds you wanted. When I was a kid in the 70s my Dad had air-cooled Porsches (914 and 911). His biggest complaint about my 996 is that it doesn't "sound like a Porsche".

But if you could upload some MP3 files and get this, it would at least be entertaining.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:18 AM
EvilTed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was out last weekend in a Jaguar i-Pace and discovered it has something called the "Sound Symposium" which is effectively a set of preconfigured piped in sounds. None are "V8" or even ICE from memory but I actually preferred the drive when one of the options (a sort of gruff turbine sound) was turned on, it gave progress some level of aural satisfaction.
It was weird that it just kept climbing though, I always felt like a gear change should happen and the noise should start to build again.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM
JayGT4
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
So....right now, even as we speak.....somewhere there in development offices there in the Zuffenhausen complex.......strange noises echo down the halls day-after-day as a dedicated team works tirelessly to determine what the future Porsche E sound signature should be.
And you just know that Porsche has PHD's working on the sounds, like BMW

Old 10-17-2018, 10:55 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayGT4
And you just know that Porsche has PHD's working on the sounds, like BMW
Oh, absolutely. They are maniacal about sound design: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/chri...nes-12546.html
Old 03-06-2019, 11:43 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

delete

Quick Reply: Speculation: Fake engine noises are gonna get pumped in Mission E - see video