Sponsored by:

The Economist chimes in. "The Rich and Indulgent"

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:03 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
The lithium and cobalt question is legitimate, I don’t know. However, I will note that whenever an obscure natural resource becomes valuable, we start looking for and finding it in more places.
http://www.businessinsider.com/rare-...n-japan-2018-4

Like I wrote, when these resources get valuable and in demand, we find them.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:44 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
If natural gas is cleaner than coal and has less toxic groundwater/runoff/byproduct/sourcing issues...why are we skipping that as a power source for our cars?
Threats of explosion? Storage issues? Noise? Is there enough lithium/cobalt/rare earth etc to actually produce 7-10M cars a year that are full electric?
  • CNG for cars is sold as Gasoline Gallon Equivalent ("GGE") units, roughly a tenth of the usual mmbtu, but 5-10X more expensive. http://www.cngnow.com/average-cng-pr...s/default.aspx. My understanding is Marcellus mmbtus recently priced near $1, at Dominion's Cove Point South wellhead. If large tanks weren't already working against CNG cars, an inability to get the gas to the consumer, cheaply, certainly is.
  • Among its first LNG exports, Dominion's Cove Point will launch vessels from the Atlantic, to Asia. Japan can now import ~$5 mmbtus (~60 cent GGE's, liquified/decompressed), but we can't leave it gaseous, and get it across land for <~$18/mmbtu ($2 GGE avg.)???
Even if CNG doesn't annoy people environmentally, its price has a funny way of going up. Wholesale electricity, by contrast, pays a much smaller premium to the wellheads, and faces regulatory price oversight pretty much the whole way. Through an EV, natural gas is a lot cheaper.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:53 AM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
don't forget to factor in the electricity used to refine gasoline - in California Refineries are the largest consumers of Electricity according to many reports…
Oil refineries also use more than one barrel of fresh water to refine each barrel of oil. That water is pumped in and treated using electrical energy and public money. Something to remember in times of drought.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:09 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Interesting thread and interesting article. I do not think that VW and Porsche are coming out with plugin hybrids and all-electric vehicles simply because of dieselgate or the EU mandate for less car pollutants; that's part of it, sure, but I think that they also see that the future is moving toward electric vehicles. Added to the fact that Porsche's type-of-the-line race car incorporates electric motors for fabulous performance, it makes all the sense to head quickly -- not slowly -- in that direction.

I disagree with the comment above that only the rich/indulgent will be driving cars in the future; if anything, the opposite may be true. I think that people of all economic backgrounds like to drive and will continue to do so. I think that this idea of everybody being driven around in self-driving cars is not something that will happen in the near future; it might make some sense in the congested inner parts of large cities, sure, but not outside of those areas -- even though autonomous cars can indeed reduce accidents, particularly if there are autonomous-vehicles-only zones.

I thought this part of the Economist article was interesting: "VW vies with Toyota and the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance as the world’s biggest carmaker. It knocks out some 10m vehicles annually but relies on selling around 2m Audis and Porsches for 65% of its profits." I wish that Porsche would take more like 5% profits like everybody else, and stop milking us Porsche buyers so much. There's a reason why Porsche sells more Macans and Cayennes than anything else, and I'd like to see them come out with a much more affordable 4-door sedan/wagon than the Panamera -- like BMW does.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:23 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I thought this part of the Economist article was interesting: "VW vies with Toyota and the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance as the world’s biggest carmaker. It knocks out some 10m vehicles annually but relies on selling around 2m Audis and Porsches for 65% of its profits." I wish that Porsche would take more like 5% profits like everybody else, and stop milking us Porsche buyers so much. There's a reason why Porsche sells more Macans and Cayennes than anything else, and I'd like to see them come out with a much more affordable 4-door sedan/wagon than the Panamera -- like BMW does.
That’s not how this works — I get that it’s a lament, but Porsche is charging what the market will bear. People keep buying Porsches in record numbers so they have zero incentive to change their pricing behavior. The reason they sell Macans and Cayennes is market demand for the form factor of the vehicles, not that they cost less than a 911. Porsche already goes “down market” with the base Macan in the US and I hope that’s all they do. Porsche as a high-volume manufacturer like BMW or Audi, with innumerable and hard-to-differentiate models, would be severely disappointing. It’s also why there’s such a robust secondary market for Porsches, which allow people new to the brand to get in with a lower barrier to entry.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 PM
unclewill
Racer

Originally Posted by cluster_fsck
...like BMW or Audi, with innumerable and hard-to-differentiate models, would be severely disappointing.

Hmmm...the 911 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera Cabriolet, Carrera S Cabriolet, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Carrera 4S Cabriolet, Carrera T, Targa 4, Targa 4S, Turbo, Turbo S, Turbo Cabriolet, Turbo S Cabriolet, Carrera GTS, Carrera GTS Cabriolet, Carrera 4 GTS, Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Targa 4 GTS, GT3, GT3 RS, GT2RS?

Yes, that would be SEVERELY disappointing.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:33 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

There is an interesting semantic discussion about model differentiation when it comes to the 911. I’d venture a point of view that all the models you listed really come down to coupe, targa, and convertible. This is far removed from what the other manufacturers do with their model lineup when they offer 4 door, 2 door, convertible and wagon in 2WD and AWD variants with base, performance, and super performance levels. At the most basic level, the only meaningful body style difference within the entire 911 lineup is what I highlighted above. Porsche has executed on an amazing strategy of taking 1 car and differentiating it on performance and scarcity dimensions to hit the widest array of price points any manufacturer can boast of, but those differentiated models are subtle and identifiable by Porsche enthusiasts almost exclusively... to everyone else, there is a coupe and a cabriolet.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
There is an interesting semantic discussion about model differentiation when it comes to the 911. I’d venture a point of view that all the models you listed really come down to coupe, targa, and convertible. This is far removed from what the other manufacturers do with their model lineup when they offer 4 door, 2 door, convertible and wagon in 2WD and AWD variants with base, performance, and super performance levels. At the most basic level, the only meaningful body style difference within the entire 911 lineup is what I highlighted above. Porsche has executed on an amazing strategy of taking 1 car and differentiating it on performance and scarcity dimensions to hit the widest array of price points any manufacturer can boast of, but those differentiated models are subtle and identifiable by Porsche enthusiasts almost exclusively... to everyone else, there is a coupe and a cabriolet.
Exactly, to a majority of the population all three of those variants are still instantly recognizable as a 911 and not confused with something else. Porsche’s sub-modeling are just iterations on the main theme - it’s not like they make a 4-door 911. My point is that Porsche has extremely defined model lines and can the iterate on those with variations. Other manufacturers have insanely large product lines, IMO, and the distinguishing features seem to be size versus any specific character traits.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:07 AM
unclewill
Racer

Why Porsche is minting money right now: Who else can take a $90k base car and add over $200,000 in options to it (GT2RS)? Brilliant!
Old 04-30-2018, 04:29 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill
Why Porsche is minting money right now: Who else can take a $90k base car and add over $200,000 in options to it (GT2RS)? Brilliant!
Well, it's true with many other European cars with hot versions - the cheapest Euro E-class is about 1/3 of the price of E63S, and the special edition M4 is almost 4x the price of the cheapest 3 series in some regions. It's just that Porsche manages to do luxury with the scale of efficiency others do mainstream.

Quick Reply: The Economist chimes in. "The Rich and Indulgent"