acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Growing pains...

"Nobody at Tesla has ever seen rain before."
https://twitter.com/SnazzyQ/status/1109250289704427520

Software update will fix it.

Speaking of updates, they come with the beauty of uncertainty: what's going to be the new (old) bug:
- It's BACK! After 6 months of working fine, 2019.5.15 drives at barriers again
This is however not that funny since this was the exact behavior (try 3) in the MV accident, the car followed the left white lane at the fork.

Another beauty of updates:
- TM3 Latest Update bricked my car, any thoughts?
- 2018 Model S 75D "Bricked" after software update

One guy replied to my comment over on TMC recently:

Speaking of reliability Tesla fans were attacking the predicted reliability of the Model 3 by Consumer Reports. Fans argued that the car is getting better and better, things getting sorted out, CR replied that history of Tesla cars doesn't prove that reliability improved over time on S and X. The comment above reflects this well. Also the German forum is a good indicator, they have got around 3k cars so far and there are over a 100 failures reported on that forum. Some of them are minor or non-error but most of it is relevant. That is just one forum and of course not all owners use it. Model 3 Probleme / Fehler

And yes. Charging station joke is super funny, except for those who already had to get the charging port replaced on their car.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Software update will fix it.

Speaking of updates, they come with the beauty of uncertainty: what's going to be the new (old) bug:
- It's BACK! After 6 months of working fine, 2019.5.15 drives at barriers again
This is however not that funny since this was the exact behavior (try 3) in the MV accident, the car followed the left white lane at the fork.

Another beauty of updates:
- TM3 Latest Update bricked my car, any thoughts?
- 2018 Model S 75D "Bricked" after software update

One guy replied to my comment over on TMC recently:

Speaking of reliability Tesla fans were attacking the predicted reliability of the Model 3 by Consumer Reports. Fans argued that the car is getting better and better, things getting sorted out, CR replied that history of Tesla cars doesn't prove that reliability improved over time on S and X. The comment above reflects this well. Also the German forum is a good indicator, they have got around 3k cars so far and there are over a 100 failures reported on that forum. Some of them are minor or non-error but most of it is relevant. That is just one forum and of course not all owners use it. Model 3 Probleme / Fehler

And yes. Charging station joke is super funny, except for those who already had to get the charging port replaced on their car.
Do you own a Tesla?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:17 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Do you own a Tesla?
No, I decided not to. Porsche said their PHEVs are coming out with newer batteries next year, so I may wait for the Panamera E-Hybrid.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Improvements

No, I decided not to. Porsche said their PHEVs are coming out with newer batteries next year, so I may wait for the Panamera E-Hybrid.
Be careful. In the 1980s when computers were improving year by year I knew a couple of people who always were waiting for the "BETTER" computer that they knew was coming in a couple of months or next year. Some of those people waited five or six years to buy a machine because there always was a better one on the horizon. By the time they finally bought something they found they knew very little about their machine compared to their friends who bought their machines years ago. I expect BEVs will be like that for the next few years.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Well I would tell you that without having the experience of being an actual owner, it's very easy to glom onto issues reported on forums and social media and see them as widespread issues when, in fact, they are isolated cases. And in fact I'd say the same about Porsche, BMW, and other manufacturers. What non-owners make a big deal out of are legitimate problems, but in general, isolated ones that pretty much every modern manufacturer is affected by. Case in point, my 2011 BMW f10 5 series seemingly had every issue that there was a service bulletin for. It was a real POS. I got rid of it as soon as I could. However, there were many other owners that didn't have those issues. But I didn't see Wall Street, et. al. calling for BMW's head. Porsches have had the same circumstance.

My biggest beef with Tesla is that their back office is a mess. I would agree that they do oversell autopilot's capabilities. I wish Elon would stop harping on Full Self Driving coming. It's not coming any time soon and when it does, I won't trust it. But by in large, even with faults, Autopilot is a wonderful tool which has really reduced my stress level. If you use the tool as designed, and pay attention, those situations like you show above are easily avoided.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
At bit off-topic, but on the subject of comparing and since you post with your company logo, your jump-start Micro-Start XP-3 battery
after about six months without a charge never recovers when attempting to charge it. The XP-1 (44Whr) and the ones sold by Costco
appear to be more reliable long term. The typical Li ion charging circuitry prevents charging once the battery drops below a certain voltage.
Is the XP-3 voltage re-charge voltage point higher than the XP-1, or is there a basic problem with the XP-3? Have I assumed correctly
that your company produces the Micro-Start jumper batteries?
Good morning, and yes you are correct in that we also produce the Microstarts. While the different models typically have the same parameters this will also depend on the version of the model as the older models do not have the same protections as the new. There is no basic problem with the XP-3 but also keep in mind it's a smaller device in comparison to the XP-1 so in turn will have a smaller capacity. My best advise to anyone using any device of this nature is to use them at least once every 2-3 months. Something as simple as charging a cell phone and topping the unit off can help prolong the life of the unit.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Good morning, and yes you are correct in that we also produce the Microstarts. While the different models typically have the same parameters this will also depend on the version of the model as the older models do not have the same protections as the new. There is no basic problem with the XP-3 but also keep in mind it's a smaller device in comparison to the XP-1 so in turn will have a smaller capacity. My best advise to anyone using any device of this nature is to use them at least once every 2-3 months. Something as simple as charging a cell phone and topping the unit off can help prolong the life of the unit.
Thanks for the response. With all the Li ion battery powered devices in the house, one needs a reminder list of what device needs charging.
If the device is not charged frequently and the voltage falls below a minimum, the Li ion battery won't recover or its capacity is reduced.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lithium ion batteries can not be charged below 32 deg F. The car starts charging it as soon as it gets turned on. This would wear out a lithium ion battery, and this is why Tesla uses the conventional one.
Well just so we are clear... there are variables within that... YOu are using a broad term of LITHIUM-ION... that is not an accurate term because it depends on the chemistry. TESLA could easily use Lithium Titanate, or develope a warming system. So it's not a Lithium thing. but I agree with what they are doing from a manufacturing standpoint since this is a battery that power the main computer systems and getting 40Ah of real lithium capacity would be much more expensive and depending on Chemistry you need to have to have warming. But Titanate could handle this application easy. And you would get the longest lasting battery on the planet... but why would a manufacturer do that, then need to sell product.

But from Antigravity Batteries perspective, the battery we develop for the Tesla would not be meant as DIRECT REPLACMENT for the Lead/Acid Battery they have, but rather a Performance version of the Battery meant for those in decent weather seeking the weight loss. Just like we really don't recommend our lower Ah batteries for regular passenger Cars... we recommend them for Performance and Track Cars.

Oh by the way.... BAM.... here you go.... EXACT TESLA SIZE Antigravity Battery already Made!!! What was that like 5 days ago I said we could make one? Anyway I have to do some testing, but we might have that solution sooner than I thought. Of course luck fell in my lap being this is the same size battery we make the the Nissan GTRs.... Sometimes you get lucky.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Thanks for the response. With all the Li ion battery powered devices in the house, one needs a reminder list of what device needs charging.
If the device is not charged frequently and the voltage falls below a minimum, the Li ion battery won't recover or its capacity is reduced.
Oh... yes.... you need a REMINDER for when a battery needs to be charged.... We do that for your Car... NEW PRODUCT sorry for the blatant marketing.... but we have solutions we think are functional and useful in the terms of this conversation.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Tesla:EVs::Blackberry:Cellphones

Maybe?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:00 PM
doshc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a one hour paid market research interview about my Model 3. The interviewer flew out from Atlanta but couldn't tell me who he worked for until the end of the interview. He revealed at the end he worked for Mercedes. He admitted they are "now scared sh!tless about Tesla" and they ignored them for way too long. I was given the opportunity to do this interview just a few days before and they are scrambling to interview more Tesla owners and ask them why they purchased the car and what they thought about it - that's how much of an urgency they are in now.

This coincides with another exec at another car company (under VW Group) that personally told me essentially the same thing a few months ago at his company.

It seems that whoever it was who said that the "barbarians are at the gate" may be a little too confident that other manufacturers have a solid plan to compete with Tesla at this point.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:53 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by doshc
I did a one hour paid market research interview about my Model 3. The interviewer flew out from Atlanta but couldn't tell me who he worked for until the end of the interview. He revealed at the end he worked for Mercedes. He admitted they are "now scared sh!tless about Tesla" and they ignored them for way too long. I was given the opportunity to do this interview just a few days before and they are scrambling to interview more Tesla owners and ask them why they purchased the car and what they thought about it - that's how much of an urgency they are in now.

This coincides with another exec at another car company (under VW Group) that personally told me essentially the same thing a few months ago at his company.

It seems that whoever it was who said that the "barbarians are at the gate" may be a little too confident that other manufacturers have a solid plan to compete with Tesla at this point.
Sounds like time to take a short position in BMW, M/B, & VW, and then buy TSLA, right? After that feedback from M/B gets fully exposed on the internet, TSLA will be back near $400,
irrespective of Tesla's reporting poor Q1 deliveries next week. Also, Tesla probably now has a positive cash flow position from taking $35K SR M3 reservations based on 2-4 week
deliveries, which now has changed to late Q2 for those same reservations.

My $400 target is on the low side;
https://seekingalpha.com/news/344621...r=1#email_link
Old 03-27-2019, 05:04 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by doshc

MB should be glad they didn't interview me - or especially my wife. We traded ours in on our Model 3 and were glad to be rid of it.

Funny thing about MB though - they, along with Toyota, actually had investments in Tesla for a while. The B-Class electric even had a Tesla drive train in it for several years. So they have less excuse than many for ignoring Tesla. (Speaking of the B-Class, what marketing genius named it the "ED"?)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

It is looking good for Porsche! Pulling new buyers to the Porsche brand.

https://insideevs.com/porsche-taycan-new-buyers-brand/

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Rivian, Bollinger and other BEVs fan)

Quick Reply: Tesla existential threat?