Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla existential threat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

What is wrong? That is exactly how I would expect the Germans to approach it.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:00 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by earl pottinger
What is wrong? That is exactly how I would expect the Germans to approach it...

How much would a traditional automaker charge for this upgrade (or would you have to buy a new car next year...)?

https://electrek.co/2019/03/18/tesla...ftware-update/
Old 03-20-2019, 01:21 AM
doshc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Well aside from all the back and forth , haters, lovers, arguments about silly arguments about charging, and battery quality and such... I just got a Model 3....

I got a Model 3 Performance, and opted for the 20" wheels just to get it a little more Sporty looking since I feel is a sort of ugly but a "cute" car... unfortunately I"m not into cute and should have got the Model S for a little more style.... but I bought it for a get-around car which I'll hand down later to the wife.

And here is the bottom line. The freaking thing RIPS... I test drove it and was very impressed with its acceleration.. but now that I've flogged it a bit up in my twisties (Hwy 33 in Ojai) the jury has spoken... I'm the judge, jury, and executioner... and I have a GT3 RS so I'm not gushing like a some Tesla fan-boy who hasn't driven a fast car before. This is an great car in its class. No it's not a dedicated Sport Car but it will utterly flog the Sedans in its class and beyond. It is very flat around corners and launches out of corners with crazy torque, if it had stiffer suspension it would be a serious little monster. It is the biggest sleeper car I've ever driven. Very happy with its performance which is really of the charts for what it does... and the bigger seller for me was the functionality over a typical car with the Self Driving on the freeway and such.

As far as some other quotes of seen on this thread about TESLA and going broke... you guys must not understand the level this brand is at. I personally did not realize it myself either until I did a little research once I decided I liked it after the Test Drive. It is a crazy RABID fan base. I personally think they are kooky, and a bit like Scientologists (joking) , but they are a league of people putting up Tesla promotion on hundreds of Youtube Channels. I'm not at all worried about Tesla AT ALL... they will be in debt while growing this business model and they may stagger some... but the bigger worry is the competition IF they don't come over to a business model that allows you to not waste a half day at a dealership with a bunch of shark type people always angling to screw you. That is the old style and will probably fade.

If Tesla flounders there will be companies like Apple or Google willing to pay bazillions for them. Its a Cult out there and the brand has such a loyal fan base it's beyond crazy... and all those people just promote the gospel of Tesla every day with new video .You can't buy that, or even create it with money... and Ford will never have it and they are just massive. I don't see that for ANY other brand of Car. Even with lack of Profit so far the BRAND and unique way of doing this is what its about. I would do this again for sure next time I need a new Car.

Thanks for sharing us your experience, really great you love the car. On another topic do you think it's possible to make a lightweight Lithium battery replacement kit for the 12v lead acid up front?

Mountain Pass Performance does make one with drop in fit however I think some competition here would be good

https://www.mountainpassperformance....OGkQ-pHs4QHaLM
Old 03-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Here is an example of Tesla's way of thinking vs an established car company (German)....

BTW bought wife a Model S to replace her benz with and she loves it Quote: "I can't ever imagine going back to a gas car again"
I understand your point, but think it through. The Tesla supercharger network is for Teslas only, and all Tesla owners have an account that links your car to your credit card. All the software and hardware is within their control. It's very easy for them to read a car that plugs in, and tie to that user's account and charge or not accordingly.

Other chargers are designed to be connected to by multiple makes / models of cars. So they require that external input in order to access your account. I do have to say that this one looks particularly complicated, though. Most of them here and abroad just read a scan card or your phone where you've already created an account and linked your payment.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by doshc
Thanks for sharing us your experience, really great you love the car. On another topic do you think it's possible to make a lightweight Lithium battery replacement kit for the 12v lead acid up front?

Mountain Pass Performance does make one with drop in fit however I think some competition here would be good

https://www.mountainpassperformance....OGkQ-pHs4QHaLM
Well I did not know about this! But, heck yeah I will make something for that and might already have something since we have many different sizes.

I just have to confirm the sizing, and Amp Hour Capacity and how the battery is being charged and operating in the Tesla system.... I don't trust some of the non-battery companies to understand the broader picture in applying a lithium battery to an existing system. But very promising, and shouldn't be too hard to run a few tests. I'm going to have to tear into the Model 3 and take a look at what is going on there. Thanks for showing me that!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Welcome! Glad you are enjoying the new car.

Get on the list for a set of these and that should fix your issues. https://www.mountainpassperformance....nce-pre-order/
Wow... didn't know about those either... I was telling some people the only bummer was there was not any hop up goodies for these electric cars.... but being proven wrong.

NOw first I will preface by saying NO I am not comparing
Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Well I did not know about this! But, heck yeah I will make something for that and might already have something since we have many different sizes.

I just have to confirm the sizing, and Amp Hour Capacity and how the battery is being charged and operating in the Tesla system.... I don't trust some of the non-battery companies to understand the broader picture in applying a lithium battery to an existing system. But very promising, and shouldn't be too hard to run a few tests. I'm going to have to tear into the Model 3 and take a look at what is going on there. Thanks for showing me that!

Lithium ion batteries can not be charged below 32 deg F. The car starts charging it as soon as it gets turned on. This would wear out a lithium ion battery, and this is why Tesla uses the conventional one.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:31 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Lithium ion batteries can not be charged below 32 deg F. The car starts charging it as soon as it gets turned on. This would wear out a lithium ion battery, and this is why Tesla uses the conventional one.
​​​​​​https://ecpowergroup.com/acb/
Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
See, this one heats itself up before charging.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 PM
doshc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gearheads can still enjoy the Tesla Model 3

"Three thousand miles ago, my wife and I purchased a Dual Motor Long Range Tesla Model 3. It is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Now listen, I’m not some millennial who upgraded from a Prius, but a lifelong, consummate gearhead.
..."

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-tesla-model-3

Last edited by doshc; 03-21-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:44 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by W8MM
Thanks for the link, that was interesting reading.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Rivian, Bollinger and other BEVs fan)
Old 03-21-2019, 01:14 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Thanks

"Three thousand miles ago, my wife and I purchased a Dual Motor Long Range Tesla Model 3. It is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Now listen, I’m not some millennial who upgraded from a Prius, but a lifelong, consummate gearhead.
..."

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/14/gearheads-enjoy-tesla-model-3
Same to you too for the link.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)
Old 03-21-2019, 09:32 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

..."
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-tesla-model-3
Great article. Fixed the link.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ing-oil-demand

electric buses in china kicking oil to the curb..
Old 03-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

NOw first I will preface by saying NO I am not comparing
At bit off-topic, but on the subject of comparing and since you post with your company logo, your jump-start Micro-Start XP-3 battery
after about six months without a charge never recovers when attempting to charge it. The XP-1 (44Whr) and the ones sold by Costco
appear to be more reliable long term. The typical Li ion charging circuitry prevents charging once the battery drops below a certain voltage.
Is the XP-3 voltage re-charge voltage point higher than the XP-1, or is there a basic problem with the XP-3? Have I assumed correctly
that your company produces the Micro-Start jumper batteries?

Quick Reply: Tesla existential threat?