Sponsored by:

Tesla existential threat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by doshc
I'm glad you're still keeping that tin-foil hat hot. Unfortunately it doesn't take a battery firmware engineer to see through attempts to manufacture random Tesla battery FUD. Last I checked even another poster here whose not a fan of Tesla mentioned the suggestion to take an electronics 101 class.

So are you one of Musk's mercenaries who try to damage other criticizers' reputation by lying about them? I have heard of other cases (like Elon calling the employer of the person who went dead silence ever since) but Musk went way too far here:

"Gouthro says that Tripp didn’t sabotage Tesla or hack anything and that Musk knew this and sought to damage his reputation by spreading misinformation."
" An anonymous caller had contacted the company to say Tripp was planning a mass shooting at the Gigafactory."

Bloomberg - When Elon Musk Tried to Destroy a Tesla Whistleblower

One of the reasons why I have zero respect for Elon.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

The Tesla Model Y (MY) arrives, and it's a big yawn! The MY is just a lower cost MX, as is the M3 a lower cost MS. Leave it to Tesla to be incompetent in its product strategies.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:53 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
The Tesla Model Y (MY) arrives, and it's a big yawn! The MY is just a lower cost MX, as is the M3 a lower cost MS. Leave it to Tesla to be incompetent in its product strategies.
It’s an crossover-ized version of the Model 3. I don’t see anything wrong with that. For someone who likes the Model 3 but wants a crossover, it’s good. A premium sedan and SUV, and an affordable sedan and SUV sound like a reasonable product lineup to me.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by wizee

It’s an crossover-ized version of the Model 3. I don’t see anything wrong with that. For someone who likes the Model 3 but wants a crossover, it’s good. A premium sedan and SUV, and an affordable sedan and SUV sound like a reasonable product lineup to me.
1. The MY should have been the M3 at the $35K price point THREE YEARS AGO!!!!!!
2. At the actual delivery date, i.e. probably 2021, the marketplace will be super competitive for the MY.
3. The bigger issue for Tesla in 2021 will most likely be its impending Chapter 7.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

LOL.

The Model 3 has more advanced batteries and drivetrain than the S and X. More advanced Autopilot hardware and controllers as well.

But I agree, the Model Y seems to be a big snooze. Although when Elon said it's 75% the same as a 3, I guess people didn't really want to listen...
Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
LOL.

The Model 3 has more advanced batteries and drivetrain than the S and X. More advanced Autopilot hardware and controllers as well.

But I agree, the Model Y seems to be a big snooze. Although when Elon said it's 75% the same as a 3, I guess people didn't really want to listen...
I personally think it’s a much better looking car than the 3. The grill alone is a big improvement. It’s a real
shame that it won’t be for sale for what?, 18 months? At that time the competition will be fierce, although there is still the S/C network that can’t be touched at the moment.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:08 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

While you guys quibble over EV esoterica that 99.99% of actual car buyers don’t know or care about, I just put my refunded Taycan deposit down on a Model Y Performance. It’s a real yawn of a compact SUV with 0-60 in 3.5...
Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
LOL.

1. Yes, the 2170 cell is better in the M3 than the 18650 in the MS/MX.
2. Drivetrain? Provide info. Oh yes, Tesla followed Nissan by using a PM motor (more efficient) in the M3 vs an AC motor in the MS/MX.
3. Both the MS/MX are capable of having the better AP processor & SW, and some most likely were delivered that way in 2018.
4. Controllers? Provide info.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 03-15-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 AM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Great article. Thanks for the link
Old 03-17-2019, 10:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
I personally think it’s a much better looking car than the 3. The grill alone is a big improvement. It’s a real
shame that it won’t be for sale for what?, 18 months? At that time the competition will be fierce, although there is still the S/C network that can’t be touched at the moment.
Not sure where you see that. To me, the face is all but identical.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM
JayGT4
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Totally agree. The thing should have been called Model 3X since it's just an upsized Model 3 and nothing more. Completely dispirited reveal event too. Even Musk couldn't fake excitement.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:03 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Well aside from all the back and forth , haters, lovers, arguments about silly arguments about charging, and battery quality and such... I just got a Model 3....

I got a Model 3 Performance, and opted for the 20" wheels just to get it a little more Sporty looking since I feel is a sort of ugly but a "cute" car... unfortunately I"m not into cute and should have got the Model S for a little more style.... but I bought it for a get-around car which I'll hand down later to the wife.

And here is the bottom line. The freaking thing RIPS... I test drove it and was very impressed with its acceleration.. but now that I've flogged it a bit up in my twisties (Hwy 33 in Ojai) the jury has spoken... I'm the judge, jury, and executioner... and I have a GT3 RS so I'm not gushing like a some Tesla fan-boy who hasn't driven a fast car before. This is an great car in its class. No it's not a dedicated Sport Car but it will utterly flog the Sedans in its class and beyond. It is very flat around corners and launches out of corners with crazy torque, if it had stiffer suspension it would be a serious little monster. It is the biggest sleeper car I've ever driven. Very happy with its performance which is really of the charts for what it does... and the bigger seller for me was the functionality over a typical car with the Self Driving on the freeway and such.

As far as some other quotes of seen on this thread about TESLA and going broke... you guys must not understand the level this brand is at. I personally did not realize it myself either until I did a little research once I decided I liked it after the Test Drive. It is a crazy RABID fan base. I personally think they are kooky, and a bit like Scientologists (joking) , but they are a league of people putting up Tesla promotion on hundreds of Youtube Channels. I'm not at all worried about Tesla AT ALL... they will be in debt while growing this business model and they may stagger some... but the bigger worry is the competition IF they don't come over to a business model that allows you to not waste a half day at a dealership with a bunch of shark type people always angling to screw you. That is the old style and will probably fade.

If Tesla flounders there will be companies like Apple or Google willing to pay bazillions for them. Its a Cult out there and the brand has such a loyal fan base it's beyond crazy... and all those people just promote the gospel of Tesla every day with new video .You can't buy that, or even create it with money... and Ford will never have it and they are just massive. I don't see that for ANY other brand of Car. Even with lack of Profit so far the BRAND and unique way of doing this is what its about. I would do this again for sure next time I need a new Car.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:15 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

You have been converted, join the dark side with the rest of us Tesla Fans.

No, just joking really, I now think you see the promise of BEVs vs ICE cars.

Please give a review of the Taycan too when one is available for a test drive.

I noticed the Tesla does not feel right to you as a "pure" sports car, I really want to know how I-Paces and Taycans feel compared to Teslas.

Notice, I am not talking range, travel long distances, charging stations ... etc, I want to know how it just feels to just drive one.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla, Bollinger, Rivian and other BEVs fan)
Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Well aside from all the back and forth , haters, lovers, arguments about silly arguments about charging, and battery quality and such... I just got a Model 3....

I got a Model 3 Performance, and opted for the 20" wheels just to get it a little more Sporty looking since I feel is a sort of ugly but a "cute" car... unfortunately I"m not into cute and should have got the Model S for a little more style.... but I bought it for a get-around car which I'll hand down later to the wife.

And here is the bottom line. The freaking thing RIPS... I test drove it and was very impressed with its acceleration.. but now that I've flogged it a bit up in my twisties (Hwy 33 in Ojai) the jury has spoken... I'm the judge, jury, and executioner... and I have a GT3 RS so I'm not gushing like a some Tesla fan-boy who hasn't driven a fast car before. This is an great car in its class. No it's not a dedicated Sport Car but it will utterly flog the Sedans in its class and beyond. It is very flat around corners and launches out of corners with crazy torque, if it had stiffer suspension it would be a serious little monster. It is the biggest sleeper car I've ever driven. Very happy with its performance which is really of the charts for what it does... and the bigger seller for me was the functionality over a typical car with the Self Driving on the freeway and such.

As far as some other quotes of seen on this thread about TESLA and going broke... you guys must not understand the level this brand is at. I personally did not realize it myself either until I did a little research once I decided I liked it after the Test Drive. It is a crazy RABID fan base. I personally think they are kooky, and a bit like Scientologists (joking) , but they are a league of people putting up Tesla promotion on hundreds of Youtube Channels. I'm not at all worried about Tesla AT ALL... they will be in debt while growing this business model and they may stagger some... but the bigger worry is the competition IF they don't come over to a business model that allows you to not waste a half day at a dealership with a bunch of shark type people always angling to screw you. That is the old style and will probably fade.

If Tesla flounders there will be companies like Apple or Google willing to pay bazillions for them. Its a Cult out there and the brand has such a loyal fan base it's beyond crazy... and all those people just promote the gospel of Tesla every day with new video .You can't buy that, or even create it with money... and Ford will never have it and they are just massive. I don't see that for ANY other brand of Car. Even with lack of Profit so far the BRAND and unique way of doing this is what its about. I would do this again for sure next time I need a new Car.
Welcome! Glad you are enjoying the new car.

Get on the list for a set of these and that should fix your issues. https://www.mountainpassperformance....nce-pre-order/

Old 03-19-2019, 05:18 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Here is an example of Tesla's way of thinking vs an established car company (German)....

BTW bought wife a Model S to replace her benz with and she loves it Quote: "I can't ever imagine going back to a gas car again"

Quick Reply: Tesla existential threat?