Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla existential threat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 284 Posts

It is a bit long but one of the founders of Tesla, Marc Tarpenning, gave this truly excellent presentation a few years ago. He described how he and fellow founder Martin Eberhard went through the various calculations and alternatives in energy production and use in the transportation industry when they were in the startup phase. Also a lot of great insight into bringing the Roadster to market. (No 'weird mobiles' or 'punishment' cars!) You can skip the first 10 minutes of intro without missing too much:

(I happened to be in the audience that night. It was a packed house.)
Old 11-07-2018, 06:27 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
but the 2017 and later EV's (Model 3 & Bolt & Leaf - are all below .3 kWh/mile - and those are going to represent the volume of cars - the S/X are more .3xx/mile EV's but the 3 for example has already sold the same volume as _ALL_ S's and is increasing - in a year's time the more than majority mix will be less than .28 kWh/mile

Electric motors may not grow on trees but they are highly recyclable and not exactly a "new" technology - EV motors are the same as industrial electrical AC induction motors - so their manufacture is both efficient and well understood - ICE motors are harder to recycle at the end of life due to unique mixes of alloy's the vary from manufacturer to manufacture and the toxic tainting from decades of Fossil Fuel burning...

there is no data to support your poison you _NEED_ two batteries in that time frame - the batteries degrade in capacity, but do not cease to function - it's a personal choice to change to a refreshed battery, and there is already ample evidence of refurbishing (Nissan Leaf) and repurposing. Not sure why you state you need a new battery - if you're going to state that, then I'll state you need a new motor and transmission in the same time frame (which is not uncommon in a 20 year old vehicle) - or even being on a 3rd major drive train component…EV drive trains if anything, battery includes, are trending to a greater longevity vs. ICE drive trains, not the other way around.

power does make sense regionally because while the grids are connected, they are segmented regionally - each segment imports/exports power "as needed" - when power demands are being met by regional production capacity/sources there is _NO_ import. So unless the western US is failing to meet demand it's regional mix of power is the dominant characteristic representing grid production, even when a region does import power from another regions only a small portion of power imported has the external regions power generation mix, so again the regions overall power mix is unlikely to be heavily skewed.

The Western US power grid (representing population & economics that are bigger than most countries, and a large volume of vehicles) is 40% NG, 4% (or less coal), and the rest renewables - and the 40% NG emissions are way better than equivalent gasoline from a total emission per-mile point of view.

Pete's numbers tell the story.

mythical 50% efficient ICE motors will still have emissions and can never be zero emissions, but we can envision zero emission power grids or near zero - and I'm highly dubious that any of these new ICE techs will exist at scale - but open to be proven wrong - because ICE's can not and will not go away for certain regions and use cases, we need them to be as efficient as possible. But the "fleet" switch over time to these new vehicles (of which there are NO production examples a consumer can purchase or will be able to purchase in the next 3-5 years - please provide links to production plans/sales plans if I"m wrong), the with over time is vast from an adoption curve point of view. So the predominate characteristic for ICE engines _IS_ less than 30% efficient for at least the next 20 years…(more like 20% efficient) given installed base.

Dave - current formula 1 engines are 51% efficient - Mazda are developing an engine that is 56% efficient, Toyota have already developed an engine that is 36% efficient.

There is no such thing as a zero emissions power grid - you will not find a single credible source that supports that view.

45% of the Western US grid is powered by fossil fuel.

I'll remind you that the main constituent of natural gas is methane and that one mole of methane converts to one mole of carbon dioxide during the combustion process. I'll also remind you that methane is one of the more nasty greenhouse gasses.

Furthermore, the Model X at nearly 5000lbs is a huge consumer of natural resources.
😀❤️👌
Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Charging&battery efficiency 85% (battery loses efficiency over 10 years)-
Way off- you're mistaking a battery capacity decrease for a round trip efficiency decrease. Initial battery inefficiency is accounted for in the .27 kWh/mile number, and while capacity does decrease efficiency remains largely unchanged. By using 85% as an average you've incorrectly priced in an ending round-trip efficiency loss of 30% vs a new battery. Do some research and you'll understand this is completely baseless and flawed.

I found some data on this. Based on my research EPA doesn't include self discharge. If you have the exact procedure, please share because some details aren't clear. For example do they just estimate the kWh/mile, or do they physically recharge the car and measure it?

Most people agree that 1% per day is a reasonable number for self discharge. Self discharge happens regardless of the use (during charging, driving or parked) These are users of 1-5 years old cars.

"Tesla engineering specifications found the vehicle performing adequately with an anticipated daily 3%-5% stationary range consumption."
I suspect Tesla says this based on the 8 year warranty. So based on their calculations an 8 years old battery may lose ~2% daily plus they left some for margin.
For a 300 mile battery, that is 6 miles per day. Using the average distance driven: 365*6/13400 = 16.3% loss.
The 3 and 5 percent means 24.5% and 40.9% respectively.

"Mine has been in a body shop for 5 weeks, and lost 55 miles in that time" => 573 / 13400 = 4.3% loss.

"I did a test of my 85D. I let it set for 30 days unplugged. It lost an average of 5.6 miles per day. On the first day it lost about 9 miles and then after that it settled in at the 5.6 miles per day. The car was charged to 90% , 236 miles of range initially. I lost 168 miles of range leaving 68. The temperature in the garage was around 60°F."

this is 5.6* 365 / 13400 = 15.2% loss.

“I left mine for two weeks at Heathrow in sub 5C temps and it lost around 9% (70d, always connected off, energy saving on). I didn’t connect to it at all while I was away…”

this is 704 / 13400 = 5.2% loss.

If the ambient temperature is way off (too high or too cold) there is an extra loss for heating or cooling the battery. It also depends what functions are left on. And the question is how does this change with aging.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Based on my research EPA doesn't include self discharge. If you have the exact procedure, please share because some details aren't clear. For example do they just estimate the kWh/mile, or do they physically recharge the car and measure it?
Self discharge is a fair point. The EPA tests do include some self-discharge, however they likely underestimate it especially for larger batteries.

The EPA test is to fully charge the battery, allow the car to sit overnight, fully deplete the battery the following day by driving the road cycle, then recharge with the manufacture's charger and measure the energy consumed. Thus the measured miles include ~24 hours of discharge in the case of a shorter range car, or more like ~36 hours of self discharge on a model 3 (given the 12 hours needed from zero with the supplied charger). On a shorter range car (ie 500e) this procedure in theory accounts for ~43% of the self-discharge based on 13,400 miles per year. If we accept self discharge 1% per day (which I agree seems standard and is in the Model 3 owners manual) that means there are 177 miles worth of self-discharge per year not accounted for, and this in turn increases the calculated carbon intensity by 1.3%.

On a longer range car like the Model 3 1% per day has a much larger impact- the EPA's test would only account for 20% of the self-discharge you'd expect annually, leaving 862 miles or 6.4% annually that I did not account for in my calculations. Self-discharge is fastest when a battery has just been charged so the EPA test might capture slightly more of the effect than I'm calculating here, but I agree it's certainly not capturing all of it.

Unlike most battery types Lithium Ion appear to have stable self-discharge over their lifespan, however temperature does effect the absolute number (with higher temperatures increasing self discharge). Parasitics from the battery cooling system and drain from the electronics/ cell connection (over the air software updates, etc) are wildcards, and I agree both could increase discharge rates very significantly.

As a side note I've been on an international trip for the last week and my Model 3 is sitting idle in the garage unplugged. Starting from a 65% charge state it's reporting that I appear to be losing 2 miles per day or roughly 5% per year. So I'd suggest between 5 and 7% looks reasonable, which puts the boggy for an equivalent ICE at somewhere between 45 MPG and 68 MPG based on the national grid depending on net battery intensity and the car's lifespan. But your 1.5L CVT Civic gets 36 MPG combined by the same test standards, so the Model 3 is 25% more efficient?

While we're sharpening our pencils let's include the anticipated 10% reduction in carbon intensity of grid electricity over your hypothetical 10 year lifespan, both nationally and worldwide.

Even the best EVs on the California grid are very far from where we need to get to. And I agree that there is no one size fits all- grandma who drives 3,000 miles per year should buy your 2.5L gasoline engine car even if she doesn't live on the east coast. Especially if she's considering an I-Pace as an electric alternative. That said for the average American we are now past the point where a standard ICE car can compete on a life cycle emissions basis with a good EV, as an accurate evaluation of best in class available alternatives shows (ie your Civic 1.5 CVT vs the Model 3). For the average Californian there is clearly no comparison. And while ICE efficiency will and must improve the grid electricity mix and battery manufacturing are only likely to extend good EV's lead. Your statement that "From manufacturing to recycling an electric midsize sedan pollutes more CO2 than a 2.5l gasoline car" was counter to that. It implied that most people would be better off from a carbon footprint perspective buying a fairly average ICE, and that's simply false.

Last edited by Petevb; 11-08-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

Dave - current formula 1 engines are 51% efficient - Mazda are developing an engine that is 56% efficient, Toyota have already developed an engine that is 36% efficient.

No, ONE F1 Engine, the Mercedes, just passed 50% efficency. In a test, not normal conditions, IIRC, but I may be wrong on that.

Plenty of people have been "developing" engines for a long time. 56%? Hmmmmm.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:27 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

Last time I put a car on the chassis dyno the transmission and diffs ate about 80hp, so there goes the efficiency. Also, ICE efficiency depends heavily on rpm and delta rpm. With steady state fixed rpm continuous load you can tune for max efficiency, real world variability not so much. The fact that all ICEs have a torque curve rather than a torque straight line tells you that. F1 engines are tuned at WOT, not super useful taking the kids to school.
The complexities of trying to squeeze a few percent more efficiency out of an ICE such as variable valve timing, variable compression, Miller cycle, auto stop/start, etc. just create the need for more parts, more service and less reliability. If you want great gas mileage from an ICE its pretty simple: a light weight car with a tiny engine tuned for low rpm operation. Even then you will run into a wall at 45mpg or so. Don’t plan on drag racing a Tesla either.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Self discharge is a fair point. The EPA tests do include some self-discharge, however they likely underestimate it especially for larger batteries.

The EPA test is to fully charge the battery, allow the car to sit overnight, fully deplete the battery the following day by driving the road cycle, then recharge with the manufacture's charger and measure the energy consumed. Thus the measured miles include ~24 hours of discharge in the case of a shorter range car, or more like ~36 hours of self discharge on a model 3 (given the 12 hours needed from zero with the supplied charger). On a shorter range car (ie 500e) this procedure in theory accounts for ~43% of the self-discharge based on 13,400 miles per year. If we accept self discharge 1% per day (which I agree seems standard and is in the Model 3 owners manual) that means there are 177 miles worth of self-discharge per year not accounted for, and this in turn increases the calculated carbon intensity by 1.3%.
It should be fairly intuitive to most who have owned any type of portable electronic device over the last 10+ years, e.g. laptop/cell phone, what to expect from LI battery standby
SOC degradation over time. Many laptops have used the 18650 cell, which is the cell used in the Tesla MS & MX. Although the M3 uses the 2170, e.g. better density, its SOC
degradation over time is most likely very similar. A more dominate factor versus standby degradation, especially for a Tesla, is the reduction of SOC the result of maintaining a narrow
range of battery temperature when the vehicle is not being driven.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Comparing laptop and cell phones to EV batteries is not apples to apples - cell phones and laptops don’t thermally or charge manage their LiON batteries so their life spans are radically different. You can greatly enhance LiON battery longevity with thermal and charge management - don’t use your cell battery experience and extrapolate that to EV’s even if they are the same physical cell - the operating environments are radically different and the results are different!
Old 11-08-2018, 05:18 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

The EPA test ...
Thank you for the data. I like the way that they include the 24h discharge. I guess temperature is the most optimal 75 deg F. And the car maker provides the most efficient home charger system to them (their interest). Also interesting to see how the battery size and annual miles driven change the efficiency of an EV.

Now another fun part. Owners report different charging efficiency for the same setup. Not sure where the variance comes from though. Search for images for Teslafi and check the charging efficiency numbers.
Here you can see the efficiency of different charging stations (ignore the home charging number): https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1718944/
The regular public chargers were from 90%-96% and the supercharger (from multiple sources) at 97%-99%
Home charging between 80%-94% https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2072089/

This makes me thinking that the EPA charging efficiency is somewhere around 94% (best home charging) so someone can be more efficient on a supercharger or less efficient at home.

Unlike most battery types Lithium Ion appear to have stable self-discharge over their lifespan, however temperature does effect the absolute number (with higher temperatures increasing self discharge).
I tend to agree with this. I searched but couldn't find a research data. Instead most of the research is focusing on capacity degradation.
Here is a very interesting research for the battery type Tesla has: http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/164/1/A6066.abstract
On one of the curves the capacitance loss is around 5% for a 70% SoC battery over 9.5 months at 25 deg C.
If I use this number for 5 years: 0.95^(60/9.5) = 72.3% capacity left. This matches with this guy's experience who I quoted earlier: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...-years.133317/
For ten years there is 52% capacity remained. This sounds very pessimistic. Will see this in real life.

Yes, happy the see the future energy mix change. I love photovoltaik. It's just very low on efficiency yet. By the way China is building nuclear power stations to cover the extra need.

One more topic, the outside temperature effect. Here is one user's experience: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dd58omGV0AAtALW.jpg:large
At 100F the efficiency is down by 33% compared to 75F, I suspect this is due to air-conditioning (cabin and battery). Gasoline engine has AC too with low efficiency. However the self-discharge becomes higher on the EV as well. Plus shorter battery life. Looks like driving an EV in Phoenix is not a great deal.
In the cold weather the gasoline engine uses its waste heat to keep the cabin warm so there is no loss in efficiency regarding that. Engine will consume more fuel in the warm up phase though. EV again loses 30% on efficiency at 30 deg F due to heating. However self discharge is minimal.

Or an equivalent ICE at somewhere between 45 MPG and 68 MPG based on the national grid depending on net battery intensity and the car's lifespan. But your 1.5L CVT Civic gets 36 MPG combined by the same test standards, so the Model 3 is 25% more efficient?
On average yes. Just make sure you aren't losing much when charging at home like some Teslafi examples. And stay at room temperature
Old 11-08-2018, 05:23 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 89 Posts

As fast as a GT4 around Streets of Willow on PSC2's... https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...ersion-review/
Old 11-08-2018, 05:37 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smohr33
As fast as a GT4 around Streets of Willow on PSC2's... https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...ersion-review/
"at least around this track" is the key word there.

Model 3 is heavy and its peak horsepower is around 55mph. The existing BMW M3 is faster from around 48mph compared to the Model 3 Performance. On Laguna Seca it's more than 5 sec faster. It all depends on what is the average speed on the track and how long it is. Model 3 overheats after 5 minutes and loses 25% of its torque. Can't complete Nordschleife on full power.

60-100 mph times for
Model 3P: 5.3s
BMW M3: 4.6s

So Model 3 is very good in the city since it's faster there and has a softer suspension. But it isn't meant for the track.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:06 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Comparing laptop and cell phones to EV batteries is not apples to apples - cell phones and laptops don’t thermally or charge manage their LiON batteries so their life spans are radically different. You can greatly enhance LiON battery longevity with thermal and charge management - don’t use your cell battery experience and extrapolate that to EV’s even if they are the same physical cell - the operating environments are radically different and the results are different!
Yes, we all know that. Now re-read the topic of the post.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't spend much time in this place, trying to get an impression of Tesla. Many seem to be arm-chairing against them. I'd go to teslamotorsclub.com and look for posts from the those who've been around.

The SOC loss was worst on the 2012s. Leaving a car unplugged for 30 days isn't something too many people do, but if we're going to do that before our monthly cross-country trips, I'd suggest turning off the wi-fi and connections transmitting to your cell phone app, first. Then, I'd guess you'd be down to 1, to 3, miles/day.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:00 AM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wogamax
Leaving a car unplugged for 30 days isn't something too many people do, but if we're going to do that before our monthly cross-country trips, I'd suggest turning off the wi-fi and connections transmitting to your cell phone app, first. Then, I'd guess you'd be down to 1, to 3, miles/day.
Self discharge happens 24 hours a day, 365 days per year, during charging, driving or parked. Long term parked cars are just a good way to estimate it.

Quick Reply: Tesla existential threat?