Sponsored by:

Tesla existential threat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
(2) . Transport related structural elements and panels made (rapidly) from simple atomic number 6 products and the problem is the linked energy - strength problem (e.g. reduce the amount of energy required to move something around by reducing its mass whilst maintaining or even increasing its strength). A scaleable high-speed production process. Working with a great group of people
Targeted at the civilian aircraft industry primarily? Or automotive/ high speed trains as well? Certainly not a company/ industry that fits a VC model.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
automotive/ high speed trains - Certainly not a company/ industry that fits a VC model.
Agreed
Old 09-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

automotive/ high speed trains - Certainly not a company/ industry that fits a VC model.
Agreed
Ha, I see what you did there. But don't forget- that particular race has already run. The VCs are long gone from Tesla and they pulled bags of money out. From their point of view Tesla (as opposed to a tier 2 component/ technology supplier) proved to be a very good fit...

Old 09-06-2018, 02:42 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

TSLA law suit...

Old 09-06-2018, 05:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Tesla is such a disaster - but still a force to be reckoned with - we all have spent much digital ink on Tesla's problems, real and imaginary, self inflicted and externally motivated - and yet…there is this. And people still seem to believe there is no demand for EV's or that it's a giant hoax that will go anyway if we just give it enough time.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/06/...up/?yptr=yahoo

Tesla Model 3 outsells entire BMW car lineup in August

Old 09-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Tesla is such a disaster - but still a force to be reckoned with - we all have spent much digital ink on Tesla's problems, real and imaginary, self inflicted and externally motivated - and yet…there is this. And people still seem to believe there is no demand for EV's or that it's a giant hoax that will go anyway if we just give it enough time.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/06/...up/?yptr=yahooTesla Model 3 outsells entire BMW car lineup in August
C'mon, that's a meaningless comparison and you know it. Apple meet Orange. Tesla is essentially the only play in EV right now, with no meaningful competition. What it should read is 'More EVs were sold in August than BMWs' or 'The EV Share of the Market, while still tiny, is bigger than BMW's total share' - (it's actually not).

Not to mention the number was cherry picked, choosing a low month for BMW and including only passenger cars and only sales in the U.S. Tesla has almost zero competition right now and its still only about 2/10ths of 1 percent of worldwide car sales. And the recent numbers are inflated by the fact that they're burning off 2 years of pent up demand for a car in a few quarters. Let's check back in 18 months when there's some more competition out there.

That article was more Tesla clickbait nonsense. But it probably won't stop some knucklehead from reading it and telling his wife 'Tesla's bigger than BMW now, we should buy a bunch of stock...'
Old 09-07-2018, 02:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Ha, I see what you did there. But don't forget- that particular race has already run
There was a race, unfortunately the runners ran in the wrong direction and haven't recognise they took the wrong turn .
Old 09-07-2018, 02:08 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Meanwhile.....

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/survey-uk-drivers-say-tesla-model-s-most-unreliable-car-2018-9?r=US&IR=T
  • UK motoring magazine What Car? surveyed more than 18,000 car owners to establish the reliability of 159 models across 31 brands.
  • The Tesla Model S proved the least reliable and was given a score of just 50.9%.
  • Owners identified issues with the cars’ electrical systems and bodywork.
  • “Just over half of the cars were out of action for at least a week and some fixes cost more than £1500,” What Car? said about the Model S
Its important to note that Tesla products have been at the bottom of, or towards the bottom of a number of major surveys e.g.Consumer Reports and What Car to name two.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:01 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 1,758 Posts

And yet customer satisfaction and loyalty ranks near the top...two conflicting pieces of data - and neither is conclusive.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:19 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
And yet customer satisfaction and loyalty ranks near the top...two conflicting pieces of data - and neither is conclusive.
Hard to argue against the QA/QC problems - they are widely reported and picked up in surveys put together by mainstream publications without an axe to grind.

Satisfaction and loyalty are a state of mind. Plot the CR reliability index results against the CR satisfaction index results - its quite revealing

The satisfaction and loyalty is/are related to the early adopter mentality - I don't believe there is a disconnect e.g. early adopters are often able to overlook short comings in a product.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:38 AM
ItalyPoly
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Tesla (E-cars) is like the new trend and in a few years, it is going to reduce the gap between Gas cars and E cars sells. Also, I want to see the E cars model of the classic brands like Porsche
Old 09-07-2018, 08:31 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Meanwhile.....

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/survey-uk-drivers-say-tesla-model-s-most-unreliable-car-2018-9?r=US&IR=T
  • UK motoring magazine What Car? surveyed more than 18,000 car owners to establish the reliability of 159 models across 31 brands.
  • The Tesla Model S proved the least reliable and was given a score of just 50.9%.
  • Owners identified issues with the cars’ electrical systems and bodywork.
  • “Just over half of the cars were out of action for at least a week and some fixes cost more than £1500,” What Car? said about the Model S
Its important to note that Tesla products have been at the bottom of, or towards the bottom of a number of major surveys e.g.Consumer Reports and What Car to name two.
Also TrueCar. Rank them descending by Repair Trips per 100 Cars. Tesla 3 with a score of 115 is the only new car up there with 10+ yr old used ones...

https://www.truedelta.com/car-reliab...esults/06-2018

Old 09-07-2018, 10:02 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Also TrueCar. Rank them descending by Repair Trips per 100 Cars. Tesla 3 with a score of 115 is the only new car up there with 10+ yr old used ones...

https://www.truedelta.com/car-reliab...esults/06-2018

Tesla seriously needs to address the quality issues. Fanatics will be willing to accept flaws, but in order to go mainstream, they need to make these very reliable. The average consumer buying a Model 3 as a primary car will not be willing to put up with taking the car to the shop several times per year.

Honestly their quality combined with the number / location of service centers has been the biggest reason I haven't purchased a Model S. I live outside of Colorado Springs, and the nearest service center is in Denver which is about 75 miles away. I don't have the time to take the car in for service when it's going to be a major inconvenience. Versus any other major brand (including Porsche), I can easily drop the car off on my way into work and pickup a loaner.

I'm surprised they haven't increased the number of service centers yet. This is one of the drawbacks of not using the dealership franchise model.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Tesla's new chief accounting officer quit after only one month on the job and then Elan lit up in an interview. I suppose you could say where there is smoke there is fire. We shall see.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:46 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Tesla's new chief accounting officer quit after only one month on the job and then Elan lit up in an interview. I suppose you could say where there is smoke there is fire. We shall see.
Stock is down almost 10% this morning. Over 30% since the $420 announcement.

Quick Reply: Tesla existential threat?