Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

wow - immune to facts - thats great.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
wow - immune to facts - thats great.
The "Get off my lawn" caucus makes the usual broad pronouncements without having spent any time actually getting informed on any part of the subject.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:08 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
For DD, to drive yourself, a Tesla is the best car. Anyone who says different has not spent enough time in one or plane, hating.
I have a signature S - i was converted many moons ago. it's not my car of choice on weekends for a sprinted drive. chose the right tool for the right job.
Curious, what did you drive before your tesla? Reason I ask, that seems to play a big factor in owners opinions. Everyone i've talked to who came from an S Class or a 7 series, seem to all feel they won't buy another tesla. My dad had 7 series for about 25 years before moving to the tesla. The tesla is been nothing but a world of problems. Fit and finish is crap, numerous issues (doors openiong automatically while driving, etc). For him, he states it perfectly, he bought it as a "status".......and to let my mom drive in the carpool lane when solo.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:21 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyi.../#7fb69c2d71f8

I'll just leave this here for people to find…but basically the US energy grid is already clean enough that there are dramatic benefits to driving an EV - it's not 20-30 years in the future - it's today - and getting better faster than anyone thought.

"New data shows that in every corner of the United States, driving an EV produces significantly fewer greenhouse gas emissions than cars powered only by gasoline, regardless of the local power mix."
Old 05-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
The "Get off my lawn" caucus makes the usual broad pronouncements without having spent any time actually getting informed on any part of the subject.
Nah, just some of us can separate the facts from the hype, something the fanboys struggle to do. The only sure thing is that Musk will keep over promising and under delivering.

i really hope the Mission E is a good car.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

The only sure thing is that Musk will keep over promising and under delivering.
Especially when you have an incoherent CEO:

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.
Yeah, like if Toyota say that (16:19) takes a minute then, I mean, it's like – over a 7-day, 24-hour workweek. Like we could also just say, like sure,
we did a peak pack production today was 32 packs in an hour, so we're under two minutes a pack and rising from there.
or out of touch with reality;

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.
Yeah, exactly. Doug makes a good point here. And I think that is – the production, a really great production system is primarily a software problem.
And there's no one in the auto industry that is remotely as good as Tesla – as software as Tesla. Tesla is way better at software than any other car company.
So if it is, what I'm saying is true, that the biggest challenge in a production system is software, and we are in a good position.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/416...nscript?page=4
Old 05-05-2018, 02:48 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.

About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward.

While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
please let me know if you think Porsche would be pursuing the Mission-E if it weren't for Musk.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:17 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

please let me know if you think Porsche would be pursuing the Mission-E if it weren't for Musk.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:06 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
hell of a conversation here. I’ve admired Tesla from a far. I have friends and family who have the stock and also own the car. One my old bosses who is german and Porsche fanatic went from a brand new Macan to Model X. He loves it, but he also kept his 911

While I appreciate Tesla and Musks disruptive approach, I wish he would stop being so stubborn and ignorant and hire the right people to do supply chain and production/operations jobs.

Or better yet license Tesla technology and software, and/or enter formal partnerships with other manufactures. He might change the world faster then he can focus on colonizing the Moon. I doubt either will ever happen unless Elon gets himself kicked out as CEO, but if I got wind of that I would buy a **** ton of stock.

The second the mission-e was announced I got excited, I’d be fine with a slightly slower car with equivalent range and better handling and build quality. With all that said I wouldn’t mind an older Tesla or reall any other EV just so I can ride the HOV lanes and not buy gas. I’ll definitely be keeping my antique oil burners as companions though.

I came close to renting an older Tesla p85 on turo this week, but ended up going with an American V8 while my car is getting serviced. G-d I miss my damn german car!

c/n: I will happily buy the mission e unless it is a complete flop. In addition to the mission e, I would also love to add a cpo Cayenne turbo S e-hybrid in a few years. I said this years ago like others have, I wish hybrid tech was pushed even farther both from a performance and efficiency standpoint instead of so many eggs in the EV basket. Any body for 1000 miles plus on a tank of gas, yet the car still sounds good?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Of course not, but the hope is that Porsche or others will build a truly desirable car on an EV platform rather than just an EV. I have no interest in an EV for EV’s sake. But I’m very interested in a great car that just happens to be an EV.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:32 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

FWIW I just saw two of the new Jaguar I-Paces on a transporter going to the east coast. (A good friend was having his new GT350R unloaded) and they were in the truck. Sure looked impressive and a hell of a lot better looking than the Model X... maybe Tesla should be worried, especially with the Mission E on the way.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:04 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Won't comment on mission-e as I haven't driven one, but my Model S (P85) is the best car I've ever driven/owned. In many ways it embodies the Porsche design mentality - high performance + incredible functionality - I can fit 7 people and cargo for days in a car that does 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds all while getting a 100+ MPG equivalent). Changing oil, coolant pipes, IMS bearings, etc. all seems quaint (but not in a good way).

I hate Koolaid and went into the Tesla experience highly skeptical, but this is the real deal. Whether the financial markets mess things up is another entirely different question - fundamentally the Tesla is a phenomenal automobile, and a taste of the future, today.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:11 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I was filling up at Costco in Fairfax VA on Sunday while my wife was in getting stuff at the warehouse. I struck up a conversation with the gas attendant who was more than eager to talk:

"How many fuel trucks to you get a day?"

He said "Four to Five, every day - our tanks are emptied constantly."

That was not what I expected. I was thinking one, maybe two.

He continued with "We have two Regular tanks at 30,000 gallons each and one Premium tank at 30,000 gallons.

So four to five trucks a day would mean what...around 360,000 to 450,000 gallons of fuel per day? AT ONE GAS STATION? That's amazing to me.

Stunning.

And when we move to electric cars, what is going to happen to the petroleum industry?

Taxes. Let's say on a week, that one Costco gas station does 2.8 million gallons, a conservative estimate. The Federal Gas & VA state Gas Tax is 34.6 cents per gallon or $ 96,888 a week from that Costco. That's serious revenue - the feds and the states will HAVE to replace that with taxes on alternative fuel vehicles. As E-cars ramp up, the revenue stream will decline and then there will be a collective howl from every e-car owner when they set up a tax infrastructure on them.

One more reason to go electric car early. BTW, I had a Model X for 24 hours recently - It was very impressive - I liked it.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:24 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Re: taxes... Or, in the USA, the Republicans could get real and, instead of cutting taxes on the multi-millionaires and billionaires, keep those taxes high so that the wealthy are allowed to do their patriotic duty and give back to the country that allowed them to benefit so much financially (me included), and then NOT raise taxes on EVs, but rather see that as a tax cut for all who go that route!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:39 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't worry about the government - they will find ways to get your money!

Parking is also a big problem from a revenue perspective for local governments as autonomous vehicles are pressed into service. It's shocking what % of the $75 it costs to park at the Marriott downtown SF goes to the government. But rather than looking at this as a revenue problem, I'm hoping someone sees an opportunity to cut overhead.

Quick Reply: Tesla existential threat?