Sponsored by:

Mission E and Exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 12:34 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mission E and Exhaust note

Forgive my ignorance please. I have a 911 and am planning to move to a 4 door in the next year or so. I have been dreaming of a car that fits somewhere between a 911 and a panamera, so it sounds like the size of the mission e would be perfect. I'm concerned about losing out on the wonderful porsche exhaust note.. Will there be no sound out all? I am completely new to the electric car scene obviously. I just can't imagine driving around in a perfectly silent car...even if it does go around corners well...my happiest moments are when I am accelerating out of a curve and just get to hear that exhaust rev up to the red line. I just can't imagine it being silent. Am I missing something?
Old 12-23-2017, 12:07 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,614 Likes on 1,766 Posts

My Bolt EV and Tesla's make virtually no noise - other than wind noise and road noise at speed. I love a good exhaust note - they sound soooooo good in my rear view mirror - but I don't miss the noise one bit! It's part of the new reality that the exhaust note is soon to be in our past - just like horse farts.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:35 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the instant torque and throttle response will more than make up for the lack of exhaust note - recommend you test Drive a Tesla Model S P100D - if you find that unacceptable from a performance point of view (and lack of exhaust note) you won't be a customer for the Mission E…but I'm 4 years in to driving EV's and consider people's concerns about exhaust note to be "quaint".
Old 12-23-2017, 12:49 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

“Quaint” LOL
Old 12-24-2017, 12:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

it is like riding on golf cart.....
Old 12-24-2017, 09:35 AM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Take the muffler off of your washing machine to hear the raw, unfiltered sound of an electric motor...
Old 12-25-2017, 05:16 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

I love silent power more than the rumble of my 928 or Cayenne.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:36 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My DD is a two year old P90DL which I can't recommend enough for that purpose. My dealer lent me 2016 Panamera GTS while the TTS was being serviced. P feels like a boat and the engine while making a glorious sound makes no sense as a DD powertrain. If you want a sports car stick to a 911 if in the porsche brand. If you want a four door DD consider one of the electrics coming to market but first go drive a Tesla MS P trim. I honestly can't daily drive an ICE anymore. I get enormous joy out of the TTS every time I drive it because of the handling and the skill needed to properly drive the Turbo hard-ish. The Tesla is just 100% efficient at getting you around and it's also lightning quick so not losing that hair raising legal fun.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

EV daily driver lightening quick - drive the DD to the track and hop in my GT3 and flog the beast at the track!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:18 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
My Bolt EV and Tesla's make virtually no noise - other than wind noise and road noise at speed. I love a good exhaust note - they sound soooooo good in my rear view mirror - but I don't miss the noise one bit! It's part of the new reality that the exhaust note is soon to be in our past - just like horse farts.
Haha!

I haven't found a sports exhaust for the Tesla, yet.

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
I love silent power more than the rumble of my 928 or Cayenne.
Me, too! I find that driving electrically is very addictive. Once I drove a Model S, traditional cars lost their appeal - even though they may be better made.

There will be tons of new models coming from the traditional auto makers in the coming years. But they still have no charging infrastructure - unlike Tesla, which occupies many good locations already, and is expanding its charging network at a rapid pace.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:01 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You laugh but in China most Western cars are duplicated and sold as low quality replicas.

For the Tesla the two "improvements" were 1. adding an LCD badge on the front so you could design your own and 2. speakers with a choice of digital exhaust tracks to play as you drive (a la Audi
Old 12-28-2017, 08:32 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicole
There will be tons of new models coming from the traditional auto makers in the coming years. But they still have no charging infrastructure - unlike Tesla, which occupies many good locations already, and is expanding its charging network at a rapid pace.
Just to clarify... "charging infrastructure" requires a few parking spaces, a 240V source, a charger and point of sale device to collect money. We're not talking about digging a hole in the ground to install premium, regular and diesel tanks, pumps and a mini-mart. If the demand comes, the infrastructure should be pretty quick as capital investment is pretty minimal.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:48 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lbcgolf
Just to clarify... "charging infrastructure" requires a few parking spaces, a 240V source, a charger and point of sale device to collect money. We're not talking about digging a hole in the ground to install premium, regular and diesel tanks, pumps and a mini-mart. If the demand comes, the infrastructure should be pretty quick as capital investment is pretty minimal.
Sounds easy, until you actually have to find the locations, lease the spots, route enough power, build the stations and maintain the whole setup. Perhaps you may also need to enforce parking rules for people who don't charge. And so on.

Tesla is 5 years ahead in the game.

Quick Reply: Mission E and Exhaust note