Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Dream Day: 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS and 2020 Porsche Mission E

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/dr...che-mission-e/
Old 12-28-2017, 02:23 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 780 Likes on 380 Posts

Damn that thing looks soooo good! If they make the production models look like that, I am going to struggle talking myself into believing that my 401K is not to be messed with.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Hansel
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

One key takeaway from that article being that the test mules are panamera based it seems. Perhaps this should assauge some of the fears that the mules haven't looked as close to the concept as people would have liked?

"Porsche just started road-testing the first two Panamera-based prototypes, and although the chassis of this rolling exhibition piece will bear little resemblance to the finished product, all essential functions are already working to rule."
Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by Hansel
One key takeaway from that article being that the test mules are panamera based it seems. Perhaps this should assauge some of the fears that the mules haven't looked as close to the concept as people would have liked?

"Porsche just started road-testing the first two Panamera-based prototypes, and although the chassis of this rolling exhibition piece will bear little resemblance to the finished product, all essential functions are already working to rule."
​​​​​​​Good news indeed.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:26 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 780 Likes on 380 Posts

I thought that also but the part,..."although the chassis of this rolling exhibition piece will bear little resemblance to the finished product", makes you wonder how that will affect the body style.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

These were the Panamera-based prototypes:

The more recent mules don't seem to share any body panels with the Panamera (and there are also more than two).
Old 12-30-2017, 01:38 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

The article provides hope....
Old 12-30-2017, 11:22 AM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Porsche is owned by Volkswagen Group and Porsche engineers are being directed to develop the best EV platform in the business - with Tesla as the benchmark. The platform will first be introduced as the Mission E, but soon ALL of the brands in VW Group will use some version of it.
Forget the show car already!! It was built to generate a buzz so they put suicide doors, big wheels, low ride/roof height and pie-in-the-sky tech in it. Guess what? ALL manufacturers do the same thing to get customers excited about a new model introduction! What do you do when the buzz about your expensive show car dies down? You give it to Georg Kacher for a few laps around a closed circuit and a photo op!!
I predict the suicide doors will not make production. The test mules confirm this. Plus look what happened to Tesla with the "falcon doors." The performance specifications are the real news.
Also, Porsche needs to keep a lid on the cost of this car. If they don't, and they play games with ridiculously overpriced options (like they do with all of their other cars), new Porsche customers like myself will skip the Mission E then buy an Audi or VW or BMW or Mercedes or a new electric Corvette in a couple of years.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:47 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Plus look what happened to Tesla with the "falcon doors."

Tesla shipped these doors on all 80,000'ish Model X's and they continue to do so - and I've been using them for almost 1.5 years - they work fine…
Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 PM
unclewill
Racer

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Plus look what happened to Tesla with the "falcon doors."

Tesla shipped these doors on all 80,000'ish Model X's and they continue to do so - and I've been using them for almost 1.5 years - they work fine…
I'm sure they do but so do conventional doors. Suicide doors are the same type of gimmick. Park in a conventional parking space between two cars, four doors open, four people exit, then where do they go? Porsche wants to sell at least 20,000 of these per year so it's going to be useful. How many Teslas do you have anyway?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:04 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Honestly, I don't care about the Suicide doors....What I care about is the shape of the car. The Mules don't do it for me but the concept does. Whichever one the car looks like will determine whether I purchase or not.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

the Falconwing doors on the Model X do not have a problem opening in tight spaces due to their design of having two hinges which let the doors articulate to open in very tight spaces (same clear requirements as a sliding door on a Honda Odyssey - about 8 inches) …After living with Falconwing Doors for a while I have to admit they work really well for loading and unloading kids - vast amounts of open space when they are fully open making getting in/out easy painless - and no door dings when parked next to another car in a tight spot (just like sliding doors) - that being said I would be equally happy with sliding doors on a Model X for the same reason - but the FWD's are functional and to date mostly problem free.

I drive a '14 Model S P85D (50,000 miles) and my wife's car is the '17 Model X P100D (25,000 miles) (3 row BEV SUV for long trips w/family - 3 kids - 2 in 2nd row one in 3rd row - makes trips more pleasant) - the mission E _MAY_ replace the P85D if Porsche shows me a good charging story (an adapter for Tesla Superchargers would seal the deal and then I could use both the "slow" Tesla superchargers and the "fast" Porsche ones if they are available.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 AM
unclewill
Racer

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
an adapter for Tesla Superchargers would seal the deal
Agreed! ALL manufacturers should have an adapter for the Tesla Superchargers!! Maybe Tesla will start to sell them.
As a lifelong mechanic, I just can't stand when OEMs make simple things like door handles complicated. I understand that they need to pad the MSRP and keep the parts and service departments at the stealerships busy, but do we really need to reinvent car doors? Call me a luddite, but when I'm at my farm, I'm on my own to keep vehicles and equipment running and I just need to pull the handle and open the door...like my '69 Ford has been doing for nearly 50 years! I'm hoping that Porsche keeps the Mission E simple. What they have done with the Panamera hybrid has me running for the hills.
If suicide doors were worth a sh*t, every Toyota Camry in the world would have them...
Old 01-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Tyrone Biggums
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's a looker for sure!!! I have her in my sights!! Mission-E ****s on the Tesla roadster IMO.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:06 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Latest rumors have it that Audi will build a sedan on the same architecture, to spread the cost over multiple vehicles. That makes perfect sense. And as usual with Volkswagen companies, the various brands give their creations very distinct characteristics, to minimize cannibalization in sales.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dream Day: 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS and 2020 Porsche Mission E