GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 782 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Test Mule Nurburgring Footage

Old 10-27-2017, 11:42 PM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, at least that settles the question whether we're really looking at an electric car...not that there was any actual doubt.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Doesn't look particularly nimble at all. Looked like a heavy ponderous car.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 782 Likes on 382 Posts

No doubt, but then again it was never intended to be. This is a 4 door sports sedan intended to pull market share away from the (heavier) Tesla Model S. I imagine very few owners will be taking these to track days.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Really no way for an electric car not to be heavy.

I love the 0-60 of Tesla, but they handle like a pig.

I expect the mission E to handle better than the Tesla, but we aren’t going to see 911 handling from the E, just much better handling than any other electric car on the market.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
+1
Old 11-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Really no way for an electric car not to be heavy.

I love the 0-60 of Tesla, but they handle like a pig.

I expect the mission E to handle better than the Tesla, but we aren’t going to see 911 handling from the E, just much better handling than any other electric car on the market.
While I think it's too early to tell based on just one test mule clip, I've seen track footage of a Model S and it looked a lot more nimble than that Mission E. Porsche has been preaching about how they're going to do an electric car right, with the handling one would expect from a Porsche and quick recharge. If all they do is put out another heavy, ponderous electric car with different styling, it's gonna be a yawner.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:15 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 1,766 Posts

if Porsche can get it to run "flat out" for the entire lap at the run that would be a major accomplishment in battery thermals - right now the Tesla can't complete a full lap of the ring at maximum power due to battery conditioning limits causing limited power - I can only get 3/4 of a lap in my Model S at thunderhill before I get throttle limits due to the battery management…now Tesla is very conservative with their battery thermals because they offer an 8 year/unlimimted mile no-conditions warranty - so I'm gonna guess they are very conservative with their thermal envelope for battery longevity.

I love my model S and wouldn't have anything else as a daily driver - but it's an awful track car and completely unsuitable for that type of application (weight and battery thermal limits)...

Porsche could advance the state of the art by simply making a really good EV that doesn't limit itself after few minutes of really heavy usage…this would be more impressive to me than their claim of 15 min. recharge - because in all honesty there will only be like 3 places in the world that will ever have those chargers…and it will only be for the first 50% of the battery charge cycle.

but an EV that can run full title basically indefinitely (until the battery is at zero % charge) would definitely one-up Tesla - and if they bring their better interior and build quality to the table, some beefy brakes, and better handling that will be all it takes for them to have a great product in this segment - and then they can build from there as their 1.0.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:05 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'd love a gutted, caged, tub, but otherwise there's a ton of ~4,000lb objects "pondering" their way around race tracks these days.

Porsche can do some simple things Tesla isn't shooting for, like cooling. What Tesla's done with weight is more impressive, lately. Model 3 drops almost 1,000lbs from Model S, and is about 300 more than a 911T in 80KWh trim (~3,800lb). That should make it last longer on a track, in theory.

Porsche's use of 800v and what some expect will be LiPo batteries will also separate them from Tesla. If they go LiPo, instead of Li-ion (or Tesla's brew), I believe that means higher maximum instantaneous power density, but at the expense of higher weight (lower net energy density). LiPo also charges faster, meaning that unlike a Model S having to turn off its (max ~60KW) kinetic regeneration at the track, Mission E may be able to soak up 70, 100, or 150KW(?) under braking. For reference, MT says P100D's 500+KW 0-60 time equals its 60-0 stop time. So, I assume the bleeding edge of regen on a ~4,500lb passenger car would be some day absorbing that same ~500+KW (if ever they design a system than can handle it). The more the regen braking can handle, the less battery weight needs to be carried around. Good cycle.

Regardless, if 80-90KWh is the target, it may be more than the car needs for track and it will probably still suffer for it. I don't think anyone worth their salt is saying lithium batteries first, best use, is track cars.

Quick Reply: Test Mule Nurburgring Footage