Sponsored by:

Mission E / Taycan - Deposits

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I guess there aren't many Panamera or Macan owners contributing to this thread, but I'll happily say that I am definitely in on getting the Cross Turismo Mission E if it gets to production in a couple years.
I own a Panamera Turbo that is currently for sale and have at least half a dozen posts on this thread. Per my dealer the Mission E will be as advertised minus the suicide doors. Hopefully they hold true to it. I was there earlier this week and per the SA I can start putting together the build this Fall. I am going for the 'S' version but spec'd up.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:31 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

The Mission E has a shorter hood vs the Panamera so the overall vehicle length is smaller. The mules are everywhere in Stuttgart. It looks closer to an A5/S5 sportback vs the full size Panamera.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The Mission E has a shorter hood vs the Panamera so the overall vehicle length is smaller. The mules are everywhere in Stuttgart. It looks closer to an A5/S5 sportback vs the full size Panamera.
The prototype I saw in Frankfurt was the same length as a Cayenne and 9 inches shorter than a new Panamera. We will see what size the production car is next year but I think it will still be E Class Mercedes sized and not S Class.... Length4,850 mm (190.9 in)Width1,990 mm (78.3 in)Height1,300 mm (51.2 in)Kerb weight~2,000 kg (4,409.2 lb)

Last edited by Sonnen Porsche; 04-25-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:51 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Shorter and wider than a Panamera........OK I'm definitely in then
Sarcasm aside....and I've said this before but....'looking like the 2015 prototype' is my primary metric. I can shop for a different car any number of places.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:35 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting review and video ... Porsche’s all-electric Mission E is a ‘game change’, says pro-driver Mark Webber after test drive

There are not many people who had the chance to drive the Mission E, Porsche’s first all-electric vehicle, but pro-driver Mark Webber is one of them and he gave his impressions after a day at the track with one of the latest prototypes.Now Webber works for Porsche so he is not exactly an unbiased party, but I still think his comments, especially his comparisons with other Porsche vehicles, were interesting.

Here’s what he had to say after a Mission E test drive at Porsche’s test track in Weissach:“I’ve got many Porsche moments that will stay with me forever – winning the WEC in the 919 Hybrid would be one – and I think I’ve just experienced another: driving the Mission E for the first time.It’s a game changer, this car. Quite literally, it is stealth in motion.

I’m a bit of an old-school kind of guy and I love nothing more than to drive so I don’t mind admitting I had some reservations. I thought that the Mission E could feel a little heavy but the driving experience is seriously dynamic: the four-wheel steering, the performance and the braking ability were a really amazing experience.

Porsche says that they are aiming for the vehicle to have “over 310 miles of range” (500 km) on a single charge, but they announced that back when it was based on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), which is much more forgiving than the EPA rating and doesn’t really reflect real-world range. It’s should still have a more than decent range of more than 250 miles.

Though the automaker is also rumored to be aiming to offer different range options with different battery packs, it’s not clear if 250 miles is the base or top option – hopefully, it’s the minimum. The company has previously been talking about a 0 to 60 mph acceleration in 3.5 seconds and earlier this year, a Porsche executive said that the Mission E will be able to go long distances at high-speed, like traveling on the German autobahn, or to complete a few laps on the race track. The Mission E is expected to hit production next year.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep.....not really sure what Porsche was trying to accomplish on this other that it's been almost three months since there's been much of any press on the 'E' so there needed to have something out there......will see what info (or car) they bring to Rennsport.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:38 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911

and earlier this year, a Porsche executive said that the Mission E will be able to go long distances at high-speed, like traveling on the German autobahn, or to complete a few laps on the race track. The Mission E is expected to hit production next year.

https://youtu.be/4oCoPwc2Rrg
A few laps.

Wow.

That many.

Game changer, indeed.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

for once @chuck911 and I agree - if it's only a "few laps" then I'll be disappointed in Porsche - although I wouldn't focus on number of laps - rather duration - I expect a high performance street car to run for 20-30 minutes at a high performance track event before needing a break (driver and car) - if the car can run solid for 20-30 minutes then I'll have no problems with it - it's a street car and they are allowed to not have the stamina of a dedicated race car - I don't run my 911's for more than 30 minute sessions - street tires/brakes/drivers all need breaks after about that amount of time (my friend's BMW 5 series is pretty loose and greasy after about 20 minutes on track and the breaks need a proper cool down - so 4 doors sedans vs. track use have their limits - the BMW is always better when it's fresh for the next session after a rest).

I was at a track day this past week @ thunder hill - it was private and casual and I got to lap my Tesla Model S P85D for a few laps - and no matter how much I love my Tesla as a daily driver - it's truly an awful track car - the battery thermals kicked in about at turn 9 where the computers limited power output to 250'ish kilo-watts vs. it's normal 450 kilo-watt power output - to control battery thermals - the car is still fun to drive, but lacks the punch once the limiter kicks in - but it is a heavy pondering beast of a car on track - but I still love it for street driving (it's wonderful to drive it to the track w/auto pilot to flog my GT3 which properly awesome on track).

NOTE: I'm reasonably sure Tesla is playing a very very conservative game with their battery management given they warranty the battery for 8 years/unlimited miles - I think there is more to be had with the car/battery and it could run for longer at higher temps, but I'm nearly sure the current battery thermal behavior is more about cost management for battery warranty concerns than actual damage to the LiON battery - but since I'm not part of Tesla I'll never know for sure.

I'll be severely disappointed in the Mission-E if it's can't complete a normal intermediate HPDE session.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:34 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

High performance street car... Does a base Panamera - which I wouldn't call a "high performance" street car and is of similar size, weight and starting price to what's projected for a base Mission E - have issues with 20-30 minute track sessions? If not I wouldn't expect the Mission E to have issues either (and the Mission E might well perform better).
Old 05-28-2018, 12:36 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I'll be severely disappointed in the Mission-E if it's can't complete a normal intermediate HPDE session.
It will not be able to for sure, and not even because of the batteries. There are no streetable tires that can handle 4400+ lbs AND 600hp for even 20 minutes. Even a 991 GT3 with 3200lbs and under 500hp on MPSC2 is getting noticeably slower after 15 minutes at full tilt. To last a full session at a good pace with that much power it has to be under 3000lbs, which is not going to happen for electric cars for many years.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:59 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
it has to be under 3000lbs, which is not going to happen for electric cars for many years.
The old Tesla roadster was under that weight, as is the BMW i3 and many older EVs.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:41 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^That’s true, my i3 weighs 28XX pounds.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:35 AM
FastCarSlo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I worry less about 20 minute sessions and more about how I’d drive I home from the track with a dead battery. When Porsche starts installing their 800v chargers at tracks we’ll know they are serious about “a few laps”
Old 06-03-2018, 12:54 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I've done track days with Tesla - if they have fast chargers along major routes it should be no problem - the real key will be for Porsche to license/co-operation with Tesla and be allowed to use Tesla's supercharger network - if they can do that and have their own 800 volt chargers it will be very practical day one

also you can charge at most tracks on an RV hook up 240 volts @ 40 amps = 31 miles of range per hour of charge - do that through out hte day and then charge while you're packing up the car - and hit a Chademo/DCFast/Tesla/Porsche fast charger and getting home should be no problem...
Old 06-04-2018, 01:40 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Why is everyone here so obsessed with taking a street car to the track? Electric cars are for the daily slog to work - 99% of most people's driving.

Quick Reply: Mission E / Taycan - Deposits