Sponsored by:

Mission E / Taycan - Deposits

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Dealer stories on the deposits as usual, just trying to get some free working cap. If the deposit was required it would have been in the Porsche system not an optional dealer follow up. Have an early slot with no deposit required, so do some first time buyers I referred to my dealer.

I think you are wrong on this one. I have never put a deposit up with my dealer - ever, and in fact I currently have a GT3 allocation with no deposit which I should receive next month. My dealer said they would not be charging me a deposit but Porsche is making them to help understand initial demand etc. Its a completely new line of cars, new factory, new everything - seems reasonable. Plus its refundable upon demand so zero risk deposit.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:11 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Dealer stories on the deposits as usual, just trying to get some free working cap. If the deposit was required it would have been in the Porsche system not an optional dealer follow up. Have an early slot with no deposit required, so do some first time buyers I referred to my dealer.
Dealers asking for a small deposit makes sense honestly. It weeds out people who aren't serious. My dealership asked for a $1000 refundable deposit. They aren't making very much money on my thousand bucks, nor am I really burdened by it either.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Dealers asking for a small deposit makes sense honestly. It weeds out people who aren't serious. My dealership asked for a $1000 refundable deposit. They aren't making very much money on my thousand bucks, nor am I really burdened by it either.
But why should a buyer have to show they're 'serious' right now? I don't need me to show BMW I'm serious today to get a 5 series a year from now? Seriously, it's a sedan, not a limited GT car. Just build them and sell them. This put-down-a-deposit-for-anything with Porsche is kinda nonsense and only exists because they've trained their customers to think its necessary and normal. Build the cars, put it on a showroom floor, and if I like it, I'll come in and buy it.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:25 PM
usafakid09
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

In regards to the 1200 and 10000 production number info, this is what my dealer said:
"I’m afraid there’s no such news, and being that the production version of the car has yet to even be finalized and released, I’m quite certain that they haven’t predetermined how many they’ll build.
There isn’t an order per se, it’s more like those who have a deposit in will get a car, and those who don’t will be put last."

He also elaborated on the deposit by saying anyone can be on the list without putting money down. However, Porsche will use the information of who actually put money down to plan for production. Those who have a deposit down will get a car.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:31 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But why should a buyer have to show they're 'serious' right now? I don't need me to show BMW I'm serious today to get a 5 series a year from now? Seriously, it's a sedan, not a limited GT car. Just build them and sell them. This put-down-a-deposit-for-anything with Porsche is kinda nonsense and only exists because they've trained their customers to think its necessary and normal. Build the cars, put it on a showroom floor, and if I like it, I'll come in and buy it.
There will be high demand for the first six months, so they need some way of deciding who gets cars first. Small deposit to go on a list is not a big deal.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

If the entire run of the car is going to be 11,200 cars worldwide, the idea that this will be a Tesla killer is laughable.
No way. None. WAY too much R&D costs to spread over 11k units. That's just got to be the first year.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
There will be high demand for the first six months, so they need some way of deciding who gets cars first. Small deposit to go on a list is not a big deal.
Exactly. It's only to get on the list to be first. Otherwise just wait 12 - 18 months and walk in and order one.

Just for those that HAVE to be first.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I think they're going to be churning these out in droves right from the start. I just don't think a deposit is going to mean much of anything unless Porsche purposely limits supply. Personally, I wouldn't put a deposit down unless I was sure on the car and there's no way I'd be sure on the car until I'm able to drive one. No way I would buy a car like this just on specs alone. If Porsche really wants to sell a lot of these, they will need to market them the same way they have the Macan. Produce, put em on the floor, sell them to walk ins. If they just want it to be a halo car, then I'm sure business as usual, deposit, long wait, will be the norm. I just think Porsche wants this to be a high volume vehicle.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think they're going to be churning these out in droves right from the start. I just don't think a deposit is going to mean much of anything unless Porsche purposely limits supply. Personally, I wouldn't put a deposit down unless I was sure on the car and there's no way I'd be sure on the car until I'm able to drive one. No way I would buy a car like this just on specs alone. If Porsche really wants to sell a lot of these, they will need to market them the same way they have the Macan. Produce, put em on the floor, sell them to walk ins. If they just want it to be a halo car, then I'm sure business as usual, deposit, long wait, will be the norm. I just think Porsche wants this to be a high volume vehicle.
Completely agree. I’m on the list with my dealer and it did not require a deposit. Although, some dealers are pushing the deposit, this is not an official requirement by Porsche that I’m aware of.....there’s not even a configurator available yet. I have a strong suspicion that when we do see a final production car, it will closely resemble a baby Panamera. If it does, the feverish fad to get this car immediately for some willl diminish and there will be enough cars available for purchase. I could be wrong, but just a hunch👍
Old 09-14-2018, 08:26 AM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There is an official Taycan deposit program, it is sanctioned by PCNA and detailed on the Porsche website. My guess it is a part of efforts to estimate demand.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:21 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by James Walker
There is an official Taycan deposit program, it is sanctioned by PCNA and detailed on the Porsche website. My guess it is a part of efforts to estimate demand.
Correct. PCNA uses it to gauge demand and it also ranks dealers on how many deposits each dealer has received. Not surprising, Champion and Beverly Hills have the most. Also not surprising, dealers in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest have quite a lot compared to the rest of the country.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:37 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale

Correct. PCNA uses it to gauge demand and it also ranks dealers on how many deposits each dealer has received. Not surprising, Champion and Beverly Hills have the most. Also not surprising, dealers in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest have quite a lot compared to the rest of the country.
So.....you think that individual dealerships are actually telling PCNA the names of people that they have money from......and then one of the two is matching dealer $$ names with PCNA on-line applications?
Could be, but........I've never seen this level of organization from either. PCNA can't even send me acknowledgment of my 'MyPorsche' registration though I've done it a couple times in the past year......have owned Pcars for over 30 years.
My dealership deposit was in almost two years ago. I filled out the on-line form earlier this year.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
So.....you think that individual dealerships are actually telling PCNA the names of people that they have money from......and then one of the two is matching dealer $$ names with PCNA on-line applications?
Could be, but........I've never seen this level of organization from either. PCNA can't even send me acknowledgment of my 'MyPorsche' registration though I've done it a couple times in the past year......have owned Pcars for over 30 years.
My dealership deposit was in almost two years ago. I filled out the on-line form earlier this year.
Not only do I think that, but I know that as I've seen the dealer input the names in the system.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:34 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale

This is my understanding too. It’s a way to gauge demand. Porsche makes it clear in the terms and conditions that this is a “prospective buyer deposit” (hence, the use of possible future purchase). The deposit is not paid to PCNA nor do they dictate the amount. The deposit terms are between the dealer and the prospective buyer.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not only do I think that, but I know that as I've seen the dealer input the names in the system.
Yes that is what Porsche is using to gauge how many they should build as well as potentially to which dealers they may need to add extra supply.

Quick Reply: Mission E / Taycan - Deposits