Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Production Spy Photos

Old 10-13-2017, 05:07 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 780 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
And I have to wonder, how many futuristic concept cars have made it to market "as-is"?
918 probably one of the closest in recent memory...

Old 10-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Manufacturers have special proto build facilities where they build these early cars well in advance - none of these will be built on production lines or tooling yet. This is standard practice in the industry, everyone does it. They will go through multiple milestone builds at these facilities before ever going to the production intent lines & tools.

I think it's looking great! There's a lot of plastic cladding to mask the lines, especially that front vent/light area from the concept, but I think it's actually looking very close to the concept overall.

You can see that the fender "vent" is just a sticker to fool you to think it looks like the one on the Panamera - similar to what they've done with the stickers on the front end: the lights, and the hood cut line.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:44 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

underwhelmed
Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

these are test mules. the factory assembly building is still being built. From what I understand from talking with a few Porsche people - the chassis base is the same as the panameras. Using modified pano bodies to test the electrics. The mission-e body type to follow.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 AM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm 930
these are test mules. the factory assembly building is still being built. From what I understand from talking with a few Porsche people - the chassis base is the same as the panameras. Using modified pano bodies to test the electrics. The mission-e body type to follow.
It's plain to see that this is not a modified Panamera body. There is not a single panel/line/detail shared with the Panny - front and rear doors are different, front and rear fenders and bumpers are different, roof line is different, mirrors, door handles and their locations are different, rake of the B pillar (and therefore front/rear side window shape) is different etc etc.

You may of course hold out hope that Porsche decided to build a handful of identical prototypes of some random in-between design, but I would bet that you'll be disappointed in 2 years time.

image from flex-didi on motor-talk.de
Old 10-15-2017, 03:02 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

looks like halfway between Mission E concept and Panamera...I am really bumming. the concept was spectacular.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I'm not bumming yet, but I got the chance to see the new Panamera again yesterday and I'm more convinced that it is an awful looking car. They took a quirky looking car and just made it look totally bland, especially the front. Porsche seems to going in a milquetoast direction with their designs. Let's hope the Mission E is the exception.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:27 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm 930
... From what I understand from talking with a few Porsche people - the chassis base is the same as the panameras. ...
What kind of Porsche people are you talking to???

The Mission E uses a completely different architecture from the Panamera (and the all new Bentley Continental). Perhaps there will be a few suspension components shared here and there to bring the cost down. But the underlying "chassis" can't possibly be the same.

Think about it: If it was possible to use the same architecture, then why not just make an electric Panamera?

The issue is packaging. Electric cars have many different components, but overall less thereof. The need for space is in different locations. Converting a Dino Fuel powered car to electric will never make anything that can compete with Tesla.

BTW: I, too, sometimes talk to "Porsche people". They work in Weissach and have never lied to me.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:01 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

What is up with the exhaust tips?

Personally, I lost my interest in this car considering the new scaled down look. Maybe this version will be developed over the years and a new higher performance version will arrive that is closer to the concept car.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:42 PM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd like to see Porsche improve on the Door handles and bottom side sills.

Flush door handles like aston martin/ LR velar look stunning IMO and dont interrupt body lines.

Bottom side sills like the concept car make the car look more aggressive and differentiate further from the panamera.
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2017, 08:32 PM
GT6ixer
Race Car

Received 780 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
What is up with the exhaust tips?

Personally, I lost my interest in this car considering the new scaled down look. Maybe this version will be developed over the years and a new higher performance version will arrive that is closer to the concept car.
They are fake. Stuck on to make the car look like something it isn't. That's the whole crux of this thread. A lot of people are disappointed over the dulled down look of these spy shots compared to the concept car. I am reserving judgement on the aesthetics for when there is something to actually judge. Sorry but test mules are never and will never be what you see on the lot and to think so is to just bum yourself out unnecessarily.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:26 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree on "reserving judgement", but can you site examples where the test mule was very different than what went in production? I just recalling the concept cars for the CGT and 918 - which were very much like the finished product.
The exhaust tips actually give me some hope that perhaps these mules are just an altered Panamera simply to test and perfect their new technology before refining their finished look.... I hope so.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM
GT Technik
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car seems to have potential, we will be following the new E closely.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree on "reserving judgement", but can you site examples where the test mule was very different than what went in production? I just recalling the concept cars for the CGT and 918 - which were very much like the finished product.
The exhaust tips actually give me some hope that perhaps these mules are just an altered Panamera simply to test and perfect their new technology before refining their finished look.... I hope so.
It's not an "altered panamera", although I'm getting tired of posting pictures that clearly demonstrate that. Take away the camo, add some real paint, accents and decent wheels and that's what the production car is going to look like.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:51 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree on "reserving judgement", but can you site examples where the test mule was very different than what went in production?
Here's a Boxster test mule:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Production Spy Photos