Car registered to company in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Car registered to company in Sweden

Very little traffic here but hopefully someone can answer this question even though its in English.

Is it possible to have company own a car in Sweden and how it works in practice? If I set up a company in Sweden, can that company purchase used car and have it own it for few years? Plan is to have Swedish company own a car, keep it in Swedish registration and plates, lease it to myself as an individual living in Finland and drive it few months each summer in Finland. Company will not make any profit but will cover all costs. One questionable thing is how 40-50K euro tax free car can be purchased by the company by its own money? How I as individual can move that money to the company with minimal costs? What happens when company is dissolved? If any of these steps cost a lot it will make who operation questionable? I'm not talking about small fees needed to transfer money. Just large costs like possible taxes etc.

Sounds stupid arrangement but there is sick logic to it. If I buy car from elsewhere in Europe, bring it to Finland and put Finnish plates to it I have to pay registration tax for it. Tax is based on cars perceived value in Finnish market and CO2 emissions or weight of the car if CO2 isn't known. This means interesting cars can easily have 15-20k euros tax. That's a lot to pay for summer weekend toy which only sees few mils a year. To get around this plan is to lease foreign registered car on short term lease for each summer. In this situation import tax is based on same 15-20k euro value but its paid only on months car is in use. Basically local customs decide what actual Finnish market value is in May and estimate what its going to be in August when summer lease period ends. Difference is of how much cars value difference is between beginning and end. In other words how much value is consumed during summer. Tax what needs to be paid is percentage of the consumed value. In August when car is taken out of use customs will again check actual market value. If value is larger than what was estimated in May more needs to be paid, if smaller customs will return the difference.

Stupid system as hell. Less tax I have to pay the better. Part of the exercise is just to use the system to its limits because its legally possible. Every saved Swedish krona is valued at least full Euro or two. Anyone have any knowledge how system works in general in Sweden? What it costs to set up company, get funds into company, how to get them out when arrangement is dissolved etc? If needed I can easily get relative who lives in Stockholm to act as manager but plan is to own company myself.

Quick Reply: Car registered to company in Sweden