Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Other Cars Discussion Thread: Porsche and Non-Porsche Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 02:41 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,231 Likes on 2,205 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Up in our area here in the PNW many Porsche owners, frustrated with the lack of opportunity to purchase a Porsche GT car at MRSP, decided to jump over into the new Lotus Emira.

I drove one yesterday, shown here, for 90 minutes in a pack through small twisty country canyons and got a great feel of what all the buzz is about.

Steering - hydraulic, direct, tightens up with speed, sublime. Can feel all the little nibblies of the road, the chatter. Wonderful.

Chassis - fantastic. Not bone jarring, but a good balance. I could not feel any difference between the 3 settings (Touring - Middle - Race).

Brakes - OK. No ceramic option available, but the steels lack some "bite" IMO

Engine - super-charged V6, slightly under powered, much like our Gen 1 Spyders / CR's, which I like as it makes you shift alot. I spend most of the time between 2nd and 3rd. The dash give you a little flash of "Shift" when you get close to the red line. Lacks that 4500 surge we have in our 3.4's. It's very linear. Otherwise really liked it.

Exhaust note - loved it. Just right, IMO. Some owners are removing the 3rd piece.

Transmission - rifle bolt action, super fun to hear-toe and easy to march the revs.

Interior - great seats, good visibility, slightly spartan, which I like. Great fit and finish. Left arm sits at a perfect height, the right drops down into the centre consul a bit too far, but whatever.

Exterior - drop dead gorgeous exotic.

Overall? Very, very similiar drive and feel to our Gen 1 Spyders / CRs and IF I was looking for a new car this would be a serious contender.

Reliability? Who knows, it's British.

IMO - the Cayman Porsche shoud have / could have built?
Thanks for the review Joel. Always enjoy hearing about the other options out there.

I think the most refreshing part of this car is that you can actually buy one. I for one am not a fan of the games that you have to play to be able to buy the GT products. Obviously, this is because lots of people want them because they are excellent, but the fact that you can just get a Lotus is very refreshing. For me, I'd need to want this car first though, not want a GT4/Spyder and then choose this as the consolation prize. As long as I was buying it because it's my first choice, then I'd be buying it. Otherwise, I'd probably just buy a used 981 Spyder/GT4.

Definitely would like to try one and drive it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
dancingwhale (09-09-2024), Zeus993 (09-02-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 12:40 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thanks for the review Joel. Always enjoy hearing about the other options out there.

I think the most refreshing part of this car is that you can actually buy one. I for one am not a fan of the games that you have to play to be able to buy the GT products. Obviously, this is because lots of people want them because they are excellent, but the fact that you can just get a Lotus is very refreshing. For me, I'd need to want this car first though, not want a GT4/Spyder and then choose this as the consolation prize. As long as I was buying it because it's my first choice, then I'd be buying it. Otherwise, I'd probably just buy a used 981 Spyder/GT4.

Definitely would like to try one and drive it.
Yes, hunt one down and take it for a spin.

And here's the deal - I did have a 718 Spyder and sold it last year to get back into a 987.2 Spyder. The 718 just didn't do it for me. But this Lotus Emira? It's a heck of a drivers car and one I would seriously consider IF I was in the new car market, and one for me that I would take over a 981/718 Spyder/GT4.

There you have it.

Last edited by Zeus993; 09-03-2024 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2024, 02:11 PM
dancingwhale
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Zeus993 , Loved your write-up on the Emira. I completely understand the sentiment of many owners jumping ship to the Lotus. The ADM and allocation game Porsche is playing is exhausting and infuriating. There is big value in being able to walk into a dealership and buy a car at the price it is advertised at (who would've thought?), and I'm glad someone is taking advantage of Porsche's missteps. Especially a brand as special as Lotus.
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 12:54 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

I too took a look at the Emira recently. It is a very attractive car and while the pricing proposition is attractive, a relatively new platform and scarcity of dealers (and presumably parts) would prevent me from being a buyer.

DaveGee
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (09-10-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 02:51 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 325 Posts

In photos the Emira looks portly in comparison to a 9x7 in my opinion, but so does any 2013+ Porsche. Need to see it in person.
Old 09-11-2024, 04:20 PM
KrisA
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
In photos the Emira looks portly in comparison to a 9x7 in my opinion, but so does any 2013+ Porsche. Need to see it in person.
I saw my first Emira at the Lotus concept store in Munich (of all places!) a couple of months ago. Honestly, I didn't love it. I thought I would be wowed, wasn't, which was good as I hate lusting after cars I can't afford. After seeing it I'm even more sure my 987.2 is a forever car.

Quick Reply: Other Cars Discussion Thread: Porsche and Non-Porsche Vehicles