Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Is a Cayman R front bumper compatible with the Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2024 | 11:27 AM
xpensivewino
Pro

Default Is a Cayman R front bumper compatible with the Spyder?

I’m curious if anyone knows, or have seen a Spyder running a Cayman R bumper with the round fog lights? Would this be a direct swap or is the sub structure different between the cars? This would be for a PDK car.
Old 08-15-2024 | 02:50 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I did swap 981 boxster bumper for cayman. Its not exactly a direct swap, need a few more new things under the skin. But quite easy if you are DIY type
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 08-15-2024 | 11:11 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xpensivewino
I’m curious if anyone knows, or have seen a Spyder running a Cayman R bumper with the round fog lights? Would this be a direct swap or is the sub structure different between the cars? This would be for a PDK car.
There's nothing unique about a Cayman R bumper from any other 987.2 Cayman bumper. When ordering a new bumper there's only 2 options... with/without headlight sprayers, and the center lower grill opened vs closed. The manual-transmission bumper comes with a closed "dummy" plate in the center lower grill opening since they didn't have a center radiator from the factory. The PDK bumper is open so air can flow to the center radiator. That makes 4 possible combinations. The closed dummy plate in the manual bumper can be removed if someone wants to run the center radiator...just need a trim ring, ducting, and the radiator itself. To replicate the R bumper, you'd then need to add the Aerokit front lower lips and the decals on each side (in front of the front wheels). Regarding the innards, should be same as any 987.2 Cayman. The Spyder is the one that could be unique behind the front bumper due to the unique grill openings.

The front wheel well liner on the Cayman R is different... the vents are open allowing air exiting the side radiators to enter the wheel wells, rather than all of that air being forced straight downward through a hole in the floor of the front bumper. That liner is optional through, not a requirement.

Last edited by Zach L; 08-15-2024 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2024 | 02:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A Boxster S bumper can be altered to fit a Spyder. A Spyder bumper is unique.
Old 08-16-2024 | 10:32 AM
xpensivewino
Pro

Thanks for all this great info. So it sounds like the aero front splitters and fog light grill openings could be retrofitted to a Spyder bumper. I like the round fog lights on the Cayman R, and wondered if it’s ever been added to a Spyder. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-16-2024 | 01:40 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

upon closer inspection they are quite different. So in order to try it I’d need an entire Cayman front bumper and order the aero kit splitters. My Spider is running a full GT3 style 3rd radiator kit with top vent, so the larger lower center radiator opening of the Cayman bumper is nice.
Old 08-21-2024 | 07:28 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xpensivewino
upon closer inspection they are quite different. So in order to try it I’d need an entire Cayman front bumper and order the aero kit splitters. My Spider is running a full GT3 style 3rd radiator kit with top vent, so the larger lower center radiator opening of the Cayman bumper is nice.
It's the ducting for the side radiators that's going to matter, and the ducting for the center radiator inlet (if your car is a PDK, or a manual you've added the center radiator to).

For the side radiator opening, the Boxster and Spyder bumpers are the same behind the silver trim. A Boxster/Spyder bumper are interchangeable (Spyder bumper is a just a Boxster bumper with two tiny tabs cut off by Porsche). And it's only the lower inner corners on the Boxster/Spyder that are different from a Cayman (85% of the opening is the same shape/size/location). A Boxster/Spyder likely have the same side radiator ducting. Just check to see if that's the same part between any Cayman and any Boxster.

For the center radiator opening, just look up if it's different part numbers between the Spyder and the Cayman. They ducting is different from 987 vs 997, but may be the same for all 987.

Last edited by Zach L; 08-21-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2024 | 01:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The Cayman and Spyder bumper centre openings are different shapes. I know because I ordered a cayman one in error.
Old 08-22-2024 | 11:27 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
The Cayman and Spyder bumper centre openings are different shapes. I know because I ordered a cayman one in error.
Are you confirming the ducting is also different, not just the opening shape? The ducting for the Cayman center opening is flexible and therefore may be the same for all 987. Only the ducting is what matters.

Last edited by Zach L; 08-22-2024 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2024 | 03:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
Are you confirming the ducting is also different, not just the opening shape? The ducting for the Cayman center opening is flexible and therefore may be the same for all 987. Only the ducting is what matters.
I checked the ducting. My Spyder ducting won’t fit the Cayman PDK centre opening. The Cayman opening is materially shorter width and taller.

Last edited by John McM; 08-25-2024 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Is a Cayman R front bumper compatible with the Spyder?