Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Need to use this video to learn about "catching" a slide

Old 03-26-2017, 01:38 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait I didn't realize a fellow rennlister was there, you should have said hello

We had car problems so the coaching sessions were not as productive as they could have been. VIR humbled me, it is the most technical track I've driven on so far.

Yes I'll be at WGI in June, hope to say hello then.

Jeff
Old 03-29-2017, 02:36 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Wait I didn't realize a fellow rennlister was there, you should have said hello

VIR humbled me, it is the most technical track I've driven on so far.
That's interesting to hear, I thought The Glen would be more so. I did stop by but I think you weren't there at the time. See you next time!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:15 PM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I converted my videos from Vimeo to YouTube for various reasons - so you can find the originally referenced video here:
Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
That's interesting to hear, I thought The Glen would be more so. I did stop by but I think you weren't there at the time. See you next time!
No. The Glen is simple, compared to VIR...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Interesting to note two very different driving styles in Matt's video from Sebring.

John Gladwill brakes deep into turns then makes sharp, very distinct, turn-ins.

Matt Muller, on the other hand, tends to turn in early and roll speed through the turn.

It's hard to question of success of either driver. Both are exceptionally talented. However, the difference in style is remarkable.

An interesting video lesson for SPB drivers.
As I've said often before, there are many ways to skin a cat.

This comparison is nice because of the fidelity of the execution of EACH approach.

The contrast between each approach is clear. Each driver is confident and comfortable, and therefore VERY GOOD at the execution of THEIR plan.

The effectiveness of each is incontrovertible. The validity of each each is proven. Period.

No judgement on either one, but I tend to prefer Gladwill's approach because being that disciplined and that well-defined with car placement laterally (for every foot of distance into the lap) makes it easier for ME PERSONALLY to replicate consistently and repeatedly the same car position laterally across the width of the track, to be able to execute the SAME control input timing and amplitude every lap.

This is why the idea of "changing someone's style," especially at THIS level of execution, is silly and often counterproductive.

For those less-quick drivers seeking to emulate the effectiveness of either of these approaches, make sure you are executing basic, fundamental skill executions as well as these fellows are, FIRST. Make sure you have an objective way of measuring what you're doing, too.

Then, get VERY good at ONE approach, then practice and get VERY good at the other approach, then test and decide for yourself.

The "hustle" of both drivers is the biggest component of their success. No wasted time...
Old 04-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

VERY insightful responses ProCoach. Not a surprise, but for me: Your comments underscore the *incremental* aspects of growth and technique development for a 'non-natural' and jibe well w my personal mojo.
More high quality seat time (not more POWERRRRR).

Also: if The Glen is a cakewalk compared w VIR and MidO, perhaps I'll happily defer that experience.
Family comes first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to use this video to learn about "catching" a slide