Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Need to use this video to learn about "catching" a slide

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Instead of hijacking the Toyo RR pressure thread, I'm starting this new thread. PL Newman posted this video of FeuerRacing (aka Chris) running a very fast lap at Sebring. He's referencing his wheel work in the turns, which I've been told I need to work on. I spun in turn 10 at WGI and was told my hands were too quiet.
I believe your spin was in T11 and I'd blame your right seat for giving you the thumbs up after T10 (and I'm only partially joking)...
Old 02-28-2017, 06:01 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I believe your spin was in T11 and I'd blame your right seat for giving you the thumbs up after T10 (and I'm only partially joking)...
Correct, Turn 11
Old 02-28-2017, 11:28 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

You turned in too early so you were probably going to be in trouble no matter what. If your car is set up well, I've found that the fastest way around 11 is to brake just enough to go to third, turn and get on the gas hard. You should have to shift up while still on the track out curb.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:22 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

My driving has morphed over the years. I used to saw the wheel a lot when I just drove my GT3 in DE. Then I got an SPB and that didnt always work so well and I concentrated on trying to be more precise with where the car and what the inputs where so I did less corrections and tried to release the energy I was giving up by sawing. That coupled with the GT3 getting faster and I found that style worked well in it to. I try to set my car up very neutral and drive it as smooth as is practical.

Agree with Todd and Chris, gas at entry is key to how the platform corners. The one big change I have made over the last 3 years is braking and pressure. Like Chris I realized it was effecting the chassis dynamic's more than expected and worked on just using less. My pad and rotor usage has dropped dramatically as a nice upside.

Soft braking, commitment to gas to me are the keys to driving these cars in my mind.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see some of the balance between Jekyll and Hyde. Does anyone have a link to an in-car vid of Gladwill driving Sebring?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Unfortunately, Gladwill drives so fast cameras are unable to capture it. And I'm not making this up.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

best I can do:

(see 42m41s)

Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 AM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice driving Todd! Late but aggressive steering inputs and ... no pussyfooting in those straights: you're wot until braking point. Both are skills I'm working on so I appreciate the demonstration.
Is that Gladwill is in the green/white SPB? He IS fast, but not too fast for a camera after all.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:25 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks - decades of experience to get there.

John is fast and he knows these cars very well. All around good guy!

Next race (Road Atlanta for us) we'll have the AIM throttle and brake sensors hooked up - was a bit of a mad dash to get the car done for Sebring and we skipped a few things.

Worth mentioning I have a few coaching spots available for the Road Atlanta race weekend.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is another video of Gladwell from Sebring last year. A great guy to race with for sure and one of the toughest guy's (as is Todd, Chris and Jay) to run against and he always give's you a fair and hard race. After the incident that happens at the end of the this video, my car had 3 bent wheel studs. John came over and fixed them for me while I was dealing with the stewards. If he had not done that , I would not have been able to race Sprint 2 and win. Top class racer in my book.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:07 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Doing some Autocrossing is also a huge help in learning car control at the line.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:26 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting to note two very different driving styles in Matt's video from Sebring. John Gladwell brakes deep into turns then makes sharp, very distinct, turn-ins. Matt Muller, on the other hand, tends to turn in early and roll speed through the turn. It's hard to question of success of either driver. Both are exceptionally talented. However, the difference in style is remarkable.

Early on, Muller was rounding off the corners to take the racing line from (Todd Lamb?), but after Gladwell and Muller broke away, Matt continued to turn in early. An interesting video lesson for SPB drivers.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:43 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
from (Todd Lamb?), .
J. Counterman
Old 03-04-2017, 11:37 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I've been communicating back channel with Todd Lamb who offered to coach me at VIR. I decided to hire Bill Rudtner to coach me at VIR since he is my mentor. I will definitely keep Todd in mind for future coaching needs (there will be plenty) for both me and my son. I think the biggest lesson I learned from this thread is that coaching is my biggest need at this point.

Thanks for all the input.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2017, 11:47 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I decided to hire Bill Rudtner to coach me at VIR since he is my mentor.
Hey Jeff, good to see you and the Rudtner crew last wknd.
Had a nice convo w one of the techs about SPB at Daytona last fall.
Hope to see your crew at the June Zone 2 CR.

As you discovered, VIR Pagoda has the best chicken biscuits, and y'all were cookin' up the Esses.

Coincidence? I think not.

Quick Reply: Need to use this video to learn about "catching" a slide