Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

NJ BMW at NJMP with NASCAR K&N - PCA racers invited too!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:03 PM
jeffwhite
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NJ BMW at NJMP with NASCAR K&N - PCA racers invited too!

Rennlisters,

I wanted to let you know that NJ BMW will be sharing NJMP Thunderbolt with the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East in 2 weeks on Sep. 16-17. This will be a highly unusual event in that we will have driver school cars, Club Racing and also K&N professional racing at the same event. We particularly wanted to reach out to the NJ/PA contingent of Spec Boxter racers to ask you to join us.

Complete descriptions are on all the event registration pages on Motorsportreg but let me summarize:

Club Race: Total of 3 sprint races on Friday and Sat. Friday has practice, qualifying and race all in the afternoon (K&N intersperses practice time with us). Sat is morning practice, morning sprint race and then feature sprint race Sat afternoon immediately before the feature K&N race. PCA and NASA licensed racers may participate (providing your car and gear meet BMW CCA club racing requirements) but you need to contact BMW CCA Club Racing to get a license. (I will post details on how to do that tomorrow when the Club Racing contact person returns from vacation). Cost: $500, including 6 crew tickets and 2 paddock parking passes. Register here: http://msreg.com/NJTboltCR2016

Driver School: Open to advanced solo drivers and instructors (will be verified). 3 hours of unstructured time Friday morning (9am - 12 noon) and then an additional hour Sat morning (9-10 am). If you have friends who are drivers but not racers, this is a great deal. FYI, we do not accept convertibles of any kind. Package includes a VIP spectator ticket (BBQ food and drink on Sat with special viewing area). Cost: $250; registration limited to 35 cars. Register here: http://msreg.com/NJTboltDS2016

Car Corral: If you are a BMW CCA member, we have a dedicated car corral and discounted VIP ticket pricing. Cost: $20, a $25 discount. Register here: http://msreg.com/TboltCorral2016

You must register in advance to participate (so we and NJMP have time to issue tickets/credentials). We know AER has a race that weekend and PCA and NASA have events the following weekend but this will be special event with club drivers sharing track time with a professional series at a spectator event. I hope some of you can make it.

Jeff White
NJ BMW CCA
Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I gotta put a warning up here as I tried to join the BMW Club Race last year as part of their Oktoberfest and was turned away when my car failed their tech over expired belts, which PCA passed and weren't logged, and a rules discrepancy over center net. Further, they would have wanted me to apply appropriate BMW Club logos and sponsors all over the car, which would have taken forever and I wasn't about to do. They sent me home! Luckily, they also had the other track for DE so I went over there and wound up having a great weekend, but if you intend to Club Race with them, make sure you and your car comply.

However, with that in mind, Jeff, I am seriously considering running this event, as I always love BMW CCA. So, please clarify the licensing (I hold both NASA and PCA licenses as well as 20+ years BMW CCA Member) and the graphics issue; will I have to apply Tire Rack and all the BMW stuff for this one event? PM if more appropriate.

Last edited by gums; 09-07-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:18 AM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the rule discrepancy over the center net? I'm registered for the DE but would switch to the race if a few other PCA racers signed up.

Last edited by BH987S; 09-07-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:42 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

The center net issue was that PCA doesn't require one if you have a full containment seat but BMW Club does. I now have one, so it wouldn't matter, but last year I didn't.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:45 PM
jeffwhite
Rennlist Member

Frank,

I'm glad you raised the issues you had with us last year. Because of that I want to make special mention that there may be differences in allowable dates for equipment (esp. harnesses, nets, Hans tethers) between PCA and BMW CCA club racing. The last thing we want is for someone to sign up to race and not be allowed to participate.

Here is the link to the BMW CCA Club Racing 2016 Rule Book. The descriptions and requirements for Harnesses, etc. begin on page 19. The descriptions of the various classes are not relevant since you all will be in your own class.

We have a call into Club Racing to clarify the graphics issue. I hope reason will prevail and that sponsor language will not be a problem. We will also get clarification on the Guest License question. I will post answers as soon as we have them.

We are trying hard to make cross-marque club racing work. It will be more fun for everyone (including spectators) and makes events financially viable (so we can keep holding them). Thanks to all of you for your patience and help.

Jeff
Old 09-07-2016, 01:53 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Terrific, Jeff, I'll be watching for your updates and hoping to participate. Additionally, I understood the issue with sponsor logos on the cars as it was last year because that was the annual Oktoberfest and sure to get a lot of coverage, but this event is a stand alone so I would hope they'll be more lenient about it.
Keep us posted.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Jeff. Will you allow those signed up for the DE to switch to the race?
Old 09-07-2016, 07:23 PM
jeffwhite
Rennlist Member

Ok guys, here's the deal (all good news)

1. We will not require you to put on sponsor stickers just for a single event. It would be nice if you put a Tire Rack banner somewhere on your windshield but not required.

2. If you registered for the DE and now want to race, go cancel your DE registration and then use the race registration in the link in the first post. You won't be charged a cancellation fee for the DE because I haven't charged anyone's card yet.

3. When you register for the race, choose the Guest Racer radio button on the registration form. You Spec Boxter folks should just enter Other as your Class. Include vehicle # and transponder info if you can.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, the following requirements are also listed on the registration requirements:
If you are registering as a Guest Racer, we can give you a temporary, complimentary license for the weekend if the following conditions are met:

1. You must be a current member of the BMW Car Club of America (this is an IRS compliance matter).If you are not a member, you can join here: www.bmwcca.org. We will provide a $50 rebate to your registration fee once you send us confirmation of membership (no net cost to you).
2. You must possess and present a valid and current Competition license from another approved sanctioned racing organization, e.g. PCA, NASA, SCCA. (A license with LeMons or ChumpCar does not qualify!)You cannot be on probation or suspension nor have a Rookie or Provisional license elsewhere.
3. You must fill out the Onsite CR Race Application, the Confidential Driver Medical and the appropriate Tech forms. (We will have the forms)
4. You must present a current logbook and a current annual inspection from your racing organization.
5. You must meet all BMW CCA Club Racing minimum standards for vehicle and personal safety.Please note that this includes, but is not limited to:
Harnesses and HANS tethers must have current dates
Window net must be current
Center net is required and must be current
6. You cannot be a former BMW CCA CR license holder.These racers must apply for a license renewal in advance of the race weekend.
7. The temporary complimentary license provision is good for one weekend only. If you want to race with BMW CCA CR in the future, you must apply for a license following the regular licensing procedures.

I hope you all can make it. This should be a ton of fun. Let me know if you have other questions or problems.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Crystal Clear, Jeff!
Thanks for that, I'll do my due diligence and hope to be there.
I like the two day format, by the way.
Now let's go racing!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:37 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Maybe you guys could post the forms you are requiring in item #3:

3. You must fill out the Onsite CR Race Application, the Confidential Driver Medical and the appropriate Tech forms. (We will have the forms)
Old 09-07-2016, 07:45 PM
jeffwhite
Rennlist Member

National is sending us the Onsite CR Application, we don't have those.

Driver Medical form

Event Tech Form

You can put the Med Form in a sealed envelope if you wish. We have them for on-site EV, if needed.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:11 PM
jeffwhite
Rennlist Member

Ok guys, where's the love? I haven't seen any sign-ups yet... Come on out, this will be fun. The more the merrier.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:11 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffwhite
Ok guys, where's the love? I haven't seen any sign-ups yet... Come on out, this will be fun. The more the merrier.
Oh, there's love, Jeff! I'm just finalizing a few details and I should be on board shortly.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:15 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Jeff,
I'm one click away from registering, and I double checked all of my belts and net dates.
After last year, I bought a brand new Schroth center net and had it professionally installed. However, I can't find the date or SFI cert on it.
Please apprise me if this will be acceptable, I know it's brand new and can prove it with a sales receipt.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:28 PM
jeffwhite
Rennlist Member

Working on an answer for you.

Quick Reply: NJ BMW at NJMP with NASCAR K&N - PCA racers invited too!