Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

naca duct for helmet cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:25 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default naca duct for helmet cooler

I want to install a koolbox helmet cooler, where is it legal to mount a naca duct on a spec boxster? I was told the rear lexan is a no no. Hope someone can point me to a solution.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:05 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw a rear lexan naca duct last weekend on a SPB. Also wondering what to do if I get a helmet blower. Let us know if you find out more.

What with recent discussions about whether intake scoops are allowed, I wonder if the same logic would imply that naca ducts are similarly allowed. I always thought that all this kind of stuff (changes to bodywork not specifically called out) was illegal.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:19 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Hello Trygve, it's Branimir. I hope your well and your cars all fixed up after FOS. I ask PCA about placing it in the rear window and was informed it would not comply with the rules.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

What about cutting hole in the roof skin (where a rear quarter window would be in a coupe)?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:14 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

that was my original idea, but pca rejected that idea due to aero along with the rear window option. I was hoping to hear what others have done and passed scrutineering. Thanks for your response
Old 05-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

In my 911 I simply tied the hose to the cage by the passenger window opening, worked fine. Doesn't need forced air, that's what the blower fan is for.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I run air to my Stilo. Not being able to get an answer about NACA duct, I routed the intake hose so it is grabbing fresh air from passenger "window"
It works well enough.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:35 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
In my 911 I simply tied the hose to the cage by the passenger window opening, worked fine. Doesn't need forced air, that's what the blower fan is for.
Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
I run air to my Stilo. Not being able to get an answer about NACA duct, I routed the intake hose so it is grabbing fresh air from passenger "window"
It works well enough.
I do the same. I am sure there is an aero impact if it pokes out however, no idea how much though.

The rule book is actually pretty clear where intakes or NACA ducts are permitted.

Quick Reply: naca duct for helmet cooler