Joe Toth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be very soon.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:17 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice side intake, however the inlet size is to small. The side intake should have a bigger inlet than the entry to the air box otherwise you risk 'starving' the intake of air. I would recommend doubling the size of the intake hole on the scoop.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:05 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the scoop on the side of the car in your avatar starve the engine? What is the sq area of it for comparison?

Cheers
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by altonj
Did the scoop on the side of the car in your avatar starve the engine? What is the sq area of it for comparison?

Cheers
Not sure what the sq area is. Its approx. 3.5 times bigger than the inlet hole to the intake. Does it starve the motor? I don't believe so and my race results would suggest that it doesn't also.

My scoop has some specific design elements to it to catch the air and manage it into the intake as well as minimizing the aero effect of having a scoop stick out the side of the car.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:06 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks
Old 06-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally managed to get my side intake scoop mold completed and making production pieces. Not having access or the funds to a wind tunnel with dyno I did a simple test to see if there was anything noticeable/measureable with the scoop. I drove the same stretch of highway in both directions 164 Km (82KM each way) once with the scoop on and then without the scoop. This was done late at night so the ambient air temperature would remain fairly constant. Cruise control was set at 115KPH to eliminate my right foot from the equation. I filled the tank three times at the same gas station about 200 yards off the freeway. The one variable is how different the fills might have been, I was careful in trying to keep them the same.
I used 1.2 liters less fuel for the 164Km drive with the scoop on. This translates to fuel mileage of 33.89mpg as opposed to 31.1mpg with no scoop. This is a 9% increase. My gas fills I’m sure were not bang on exact but certainly didn’t vary by 1.2 liters.
To my simple mind I conclude if the car is doing the same amount of work with less fuel it is making more power…..please correct me if you disagree.
I will have more information and pictures on my Facebook page "Joe Toth Composites"
Attached Images    
Old 06-07-2017, 05:31 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Toth
Finally managed to get my side intake scoop mold completed and making production pieces. Not having access or the funds to a wind tunnel with dyno I did a simple test to see if there was anything noticeable/measureable with the scoop. I drove the same stretch of highway in both directions 164 Km (82KM each way) once with the scoop on and then without the scoop. This was done late at night so the ambient air temperature would remain fairly constant. Cruise control was set at 115KPH to eliminate my right foot from the equation. I filled the tank three times at the same gas station about 200 yards off the freeway. The one variable is how different the fills might have been, I was careful in trying to keep them the same.
I used 1.2 liters less fuel for the 164Km drive with the scoop on. This translates to fuel mileage of 33.89mpg as opposed to 31.1mpg with no scoop. This is a 9% increase. My gas fills I’m sure were not bang on exact but certainly didn’t vary by 1.2 liters.
To my simple mind I conclude if the car is doing the same amount of work with less fuel it is making more power…..please correct me if you disagree.
I will have more information and pictures on my Facebook page "Joe Toth Composites"
Don't forget the other variable: you could be reducing the total drag on the car. Either way it has positive implications. And while I'd be surprised if the precise 9% number was highly repeatable that's an encouraging result.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early Boxster Side Intake Scoop