Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

New rule proposal to add weight!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts
Default New rule proposal to add weight!

Where is this coming from?!?!?! There's a proposal to increase the SPB weight to 2700 lbs.

I voted no.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Let me guess, the 50lbs comes in the form of a passenger seat? On the other hand, I've spent the past two weeks in Maine pigging out. Maybe I better vote yes.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I voted for 2800 lbs. Hunt will fit in my trunk.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the lath is set for full canister fire system and most of us use cool suit it might not be a bad plan.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll vote yes since I put it forward. My guess is that a large majority of the field races heavy.

Most seem to have some combo if not all of the following: coolshirt box, plumbed fire system, accusump, transmission cooler, stock wiring harness, typical seat, stock glass windshield etc...light cars and drivers can ballast or fuel more. Some won't run a coolshirt to save weight, we drive better, more comfortably, if not more safely in the hotter races with a coolshirt. It's just about a requirement in TX.

Those who want to protect their motors, trans, and themselves run all the gear with the added weight, the class has added most of this stuff since it's formation. I think it'll close up the weight disparity in the class...closer racing? who knows. Interested to see the weight logs from a big field.

But my guess is then some won't resort to running Cayman engine covers (plastic), pulling seals, lexan, CrMo cages, door hold opens, $$/time harness weight removal, 10# tops and use OEM etc. Or put in a rally ready cage with lots of tubing with less penalty. Of course, Clydesdale class drivers will benefit.

Of course we all want a light car, but in the end we're racing each other, not E cars.

I also put in the roof net option over arm restraints. Just fewer pieces of strap to deal with in a cockpit.

Last edited by consolidated; 08-22-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:27 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Of course we all want a light car, but in the end we're racing each other, not E cars.
Speak for yourself!

Old 08-23-2014, 01:15 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm opposed to this change. I think it is reasonable for the class weight target to be set for a 200 lb driver. At that weight, 2650 lb can reasonably be achieved, with room to spare, without resorting to installing a lexan windshield or an expensive light weight seat. I weigh 190 lbs, have a fire system, cool suit and Accusump, and if I don't finish the race with at least 3 gallons of fuel in the tank and my Cool suit completely full, I will be under weight. Many SPBs without an Accusump have to run with 25+ lbs of ballast at the current limit.

I have seen a lot of cars that have not had allowed weight reduction measures implemented that can be done with a reasonable investment of the owner's time (e.g., secondary air injection removal, door lightening, wire harness lightening, dash trimming, sound deadening removal, bumper removal, etc.).

Rather than raise the weight limit to make it easier for the bigger drivers to get down to weight, I'd favor allowing more weight reduction measures (windshield wiper mechanism removal, full dash removal or at least more aggressive trimming, perhaps allow after market body panels).
Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

How much do air jacks weigh?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 PM
thstone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted no.

I weigh 215 and have an oversize cage, cool shirt system, camera, etc. A coolshirt is almost mandatory here in SoCal during the summer also, so I understand where you're coming from.

However, with all of that being said, I did not have to resort to any sort of high tech expensive parts to get down to min class weight.

Just follow the rules and do what everyone else has done and your car should be at the same weight, right?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated

If you want to race a 2700# car there a few options in D and E.

Not sure why those who have optimized their cars for the class weight today should get screwed because new builds are finding it difficult to lose the weight.

Quick Reply: New rule proposal to add weight!