Steering wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering wheel question

Gents,

I'm in the process of building a spec boxster and am looking at what wheel to get. I like the momo mod 07 and know a lot of spec guys run that. My question is whether that is the "right" amount of dish if more could be used. The momo mod 08 has about 15mm more dish to it and I can get a very good deal on one. For the average build guy (5'10") with average length arms, will that put the wheel too close to me with the telescope adjustment all the way "in." Just curious for the guys that have dished wheels with quick disconnects whether they have adjustment fore and aft or if they are maxed out one way or another. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

does this mean we will see you at the track again?
are you thinking of doing POC door to door? Hope so!!!
When will your car be ready?

I have the cup car wheel and quick disconnect. I like it a a lot but don't have experience with boxsters or other quick disconnect wheels.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm same ht. the mod 07 with a rennline QD puts the wheel pretty close, but has mostly to do with how close and upright the seat is. 15mm isn't a huge amount, could just lay the seat back a bit.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mcipseric
does this mean we will see you at the track again?
are you thinking of doing POC door to door? Hope so!!!
When will your car be ready?

I have the cup car wheel and quick disconnect. I like it a a lot but don't have experience with boxsters or other quick disconnect wheels.
Hey Eric! It will still be a while. I bought the donor car a while ago and am slowly working on it. I left my job a couple months ago to start my own company so the car budget has gone to those efforts. I still plan on doing some AX events in the boxster as I build it but I'm guessing I won't have a full race car built for a year or more assuming things go as planned. And, yes, the idea is to get into POC door to door eventually. Can't wait for that day!

Originally Posted by J richard
I'm same ht. the mod 07 with a rennline QD puts the wheel pretty close, but has mostly to do with how close and upright the seat is. 15mm isn't a huge amount, could just lay the seat back a bit.
Thanks for the reference point. My seat sits very low (no sliders and mounted less than an inch off the seat pan at lowest point) which required me to dial in a fair bit of rear rake so I'm hoping this will make it work. I ordered it and verified i can return it if it doesn't work. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

You'll be fine. I'm 5'10.567" with long arms and torso. My seat mount is very similar to yours and I have a Mod07 with Rothsport QR.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

I wanted to follow-up on my original question to provide a data point for anyone else in the future. I installed the Momo Mod 08 wheel along with the Momo Hub adapter and Rennline quick release. The seat is an Ultra Shield 10 degree layback bolted to the stock floorpan...the rear of the seat sits less than a half inch off the floorpan. Given this low seating position the seat is raked pretty far to the rear. I'm 5'10" with average legs and torso length.

Bottom line - this setup works very well and is definitely NOT too close for proper arm position (90 degree elbow bend). In fact, if the angle of the steering column was lower I'd probably prefer to have the telescope fully extended towards me. The only reason I don't is because given the angle, at full extension it raises the top of the wheel a bit too far into my line of sight. This will be fixed once the cage goes in and the column is re-mounted at a better angle.

Hope this helps somebody out there in the future.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel question