Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

New RND M96 2.7 just installed

Old 03-23-2019, 12:18 AM
BBoxster
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RND M96 2.7 just installed

Well after experiencing a timing chain breakdown, and a lot of cylinder noise, followed by obd11 reads that indicated problems with cylinder 4&6, and input shaft. Add to that the IMS fear of driving my 03 with only 30k, purchased 2years ago with 26k on it (yes it's been a weekender garage queen for 16 years). I just said &$!"-IT ALL and went for the new clearance RND engine. At 8500.00 I figured it was better to get a whole new upgraded unit then to repair the one I had.
Now doing initial 400 mi break in - So far so good; today have just cleared 120 miles with no leaks. She's running real nice, and yes I do feel a difference in the way this engine performs. I expect it will get much better in a few thousand miles. Right now it has smoother acceleration, and feels more responsive. Gone are the ticking sounds of tappets.
It was the right choice for me, as the car is like new inside and out. I have a lot of goodies that are improved over the original engine. Also have new LN IMS bearing so I should be safe for 50k miles. I'll drive it more, as it appears to be true "if don't drive it that much then you have problems".
Well it's going to be sunny tomorrow in the sunshine state so I'll take it to the office and that way it can go through another thermal cycle; I'm following the break in by the book. Already purchased the intermediate oil for next change in about 200 miles.
Hats off to Bobby at Forein Affairs in Pompano beach for a quick change out.

My 03 base with 30K, original paint, immaculate interior, & New RND engine with Nickies, LN IMS bearing & more goodies.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

It will need a few mods to be a Spec Boxster..... you do know you posted in the SPB Race forum?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:00 AM
BBoxster
3rd Gear

No I didn't! Thought it was in general discussion.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 AM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It will need a few mods to be a Spec Boxster..... you do know you posted in the SPB Race forum?
I believe this was included in the rules change, along with the MCS dampers and Joengblod wheels......
Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Hope he didn't buy one of the RND closeout specials... "Clearance engines do not feature IMS Solution, ARP Rod Bolt and JE Pistons"..
Old 03-24-2019, 06:19 PM
BBoxster
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Hope he didn't buy one of the RND closeout specials... "Clearance engines do not feature IMS Solution, ARP Rod Bolt and JE Pistons"..
Yes indeedy the close out was a great deal at $8500.
Still has the LN upgrade bearing, Nickie finish, and a hoast of improvements over the original engine.
I don’t track it so I’m pretty confidant I’ll get years of service from it!😁

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New RND M96 2.7 just installed