Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

JRZ shock change in SPB

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Just for convenience, here are the shock dyno comparison plots from PCA. The MCS shocks are more consistent, more linear, and adjustment will have a more predictable impact. That said, I don't know enough to say whether this appears to be an on-paper improvement or a meaningful performance advantage. I'll wait until we hear reports.

Front Damper Plot

Rear Damper Plot

Source: https://pcaclubracing.org/contingency/mcs-sbp-program/
Old 04-03-2019, 07:51 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Lost in translation. The blue lines are kinda straight. The red lines not so much.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:06 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Linearity and no taper off is what you’re looking for in a damper. That equates to a much smoother, progressive action through the entire stroke. MCS looks like a good choice over the PSS9.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
Linearity and no taper off is what you’re looking for in a damper. That equates to a much smoother, progressive action through the entire stroke. MCS looks like a good choice over the PSS9.
All the cheaters... I mean racers.. I know are switching over to MCS right now so there will be a glut of used PSS9's for sale soon!
Old 04-14-2019, 05:37 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 133 Posts

We ran them this weekend at rd Atl club race.

Not near track record, but no one was.

Last edited by RennPart; 04-14-2019 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added video
Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

The rep from MCS made himself readily available at Road Atlanta this past weekend to answer questions. He was careful not to badmouth Bilstein, in fact, was complimentary of the PSS9... and was extremely precise in describing the differences between the two systems. I was privy to several long discussions about the dynamics of suspension movement, how various adjustments affected the car at specific corners. It was fascinating...and beyond my ability to fully comprehend. What I did retain, I forgot within minutes. But I came away with an appreciation for engineers and how they are able to put on paper what I feel with my butt dyno. Those I spoke with who were running the new system were complimentary and said the car felt more planted. But it didn't seem to result in a noticeable performance difference. Translation: These alone won't put you at the pointy end of the field. You've still got to drive the snot out of the SPB. And a shout-out to Aaron Elsner of Rennpart, who returned from a terrible crash nearly two years ago at VIR to wow the Spec Boxster field with a great pass on the final lap of Sprint 2. Well done, Aaron.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:41 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Those I spoke with who were running the new system were complimentary and said the car felt more planted. But it didn't seem to result in a noticeable performance difference. Translation: These alone won't put you at the pointy end of the field. You've still got to drive the snot out of the SPB.
That goes without saying for any single modification. The question is rather whether same SPB, same (fast) driver, in same conditions with MCS is consistently faster than the same with PSS9 and by how much. Has such a test been done?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:00 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RennPart
We ran them this weekend at rd Atl club race.
Likely the reason that you were faster than me this weekend ;-) Great job and congrats!
Old 04-15-2019, 12:31 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 133 Posts

FWIW I ran the same times of what I ran at Road Atlanta two years ago, same engine but different chassis.

2017 on PSS9: 1:41.856
2019 with MCS: 1:41.875

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 04-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
I would not say many shock guys would agree with you on linear being better. Linear, digressive, progressive, and the others all have a time they are used. Same goes for bleed, piston bands, etc.

Edit: The rears look slightly progressive which is not something you would normally want. It would be interesting to see what cross talk they have in the adjusters and the
Old 04-30-2019, 10:46 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had MCS shock experience for 4 years on a different car. All I can say is that they work very well. The biggest factor and most noticeable difference is the customer service, support, and rebuild time/experience has been night and day over Bilstein.

Quick Reply: JRZ shock change in SPB