Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Remote Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Remote Oil Filter

I was thinking about installing a remote oil filter in my 986 to give better access, larger filter and a convenient taping point for an oil P and T sensor to log.
I was thinking about the TUNE RS unit.

http://tunersmotorsports.com/trs-dev...preventer-bfp/

Any disadvantages I should know about?
Can anyone send pics of how the lines are run.
Does the oil pump have sufficient pressure (head) to pump the oil the additional vertical distance to the remote filter without any material issues?

I already have a 2Qt deep sump/baffles and was going to log Oil P and T before making any decisions on an Accusump or additional cooler.

DB
Old 10-14-2018, 12:00 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a similar setup with the filter housing bolted to the trunk wall
Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

This was the original oil setup on TuneRS Build #001. But I eventually removed the Accusump because of plumbing leaks, crappy wiring, faulty sending units, unreliable pressure sensors, and leaking internal diaphragms. All the fast SPB guys have ditched the Accusump...and saved nearly 25 pounds. The extra filter in the trunk is a nice addition (and easy to access) but be warned, when removing the spin-on WIX filter be sure to also remove the rubber O-ring that tends to stay behind and hide up in the mounting base. If you spin on a new filter without removing the old O-ring, you'll blow oil from here to COTA. Ask me how I know.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:15 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a similar trunk mounted oil filter setup. Removed the Accusump just like PLN. I like the convenience of the trunk mount and the larger filter.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:08 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

After clearing out the Accusump mess, here's how the plumbing ended up. Since then ZERO problems.

Quick Reply: Remote Oil Filter