Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

New SPB Build - some questions on steering column/lock and seats

Old 12-29-2017, 01:07 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New SPB Build - some questions on steering column/lock and seats

Hi all - just sold my 944 SP2 car to move up to SPB. I've got a car that I'm starting to build out but was looking for some guidance on how to remove the steering wheel lock without blowing up anything in the igntion switch/immobilizer regions? Any guidance would be appreciated. Car is a 99.

Also - this is a bit of a cross post, but currently the locking function on the telescoping steering column isn't holding. Anyone 1) have any idea on cause and/or fix, or 2) Do people disable this on their race cars and lock (weld?) the column in the preferred position? Or do you generally just let the stock function do the trick?

Finally - seat question. I'm recycling my Sparco EVO III seat out of the 944 and plan on using Sparco sliders (personal preferance). I see that OG has some Brey Kraus brackets to adapt the stock mount to the sliders, but has anyone run into an issue with this seat fitting in the car? It's a pretty wide seat. I also see that people may use offset brackets (looks like 2 lefts or vice versa rather than a left and a right) to provide clearance from the tunnel. Anyone tried this?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:15 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I disassembled the steering lock and removed the locking mechanism, but kept the key tumbler and switch (to protect the car from my grandkids).

All in all, not too difficult.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:56 AM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Consider replacing the ignition switch while you're in there. It's a cheap part (~$20) prone to failure. It's a lot more difficult to access once everything is re-assembled.

I didn't alter the telescoping function of my steering column. It works fine and I like the adjustability.

Wide seats can fit with the right brackets but height can be a challenge. My seat is a Sparco Evo II US. I'm not tall (5'9") but did not have enough height for sliders. Look for side-mount brackets that have lots of holes to allow you to get the seat as low as possible. I have the Brey-Krause side plates but had to drill new holes to lower the seat. Sparco or Planted make brackets that offer more adjustment than B-K. If you can't get the side mount brackets to align with the factory seat mount holes, you can add a bottom mount plate from Planted and bolt side mount plates to the bottom plate.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:58 PM
KnowSomeStuff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cut off the the actual lock that protrudes into the column. Remove the entire switch assembly (with the key in it) once out of the column? Pull the key out. Once out? The actual lock will jump out of the assembly. Cut it off flush with the assembly (you'll see it) and reinstall. I agree about replacing the VW/Audi ignition portion of the switch (round black multi connector)
Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 PM
KnowSomeStuff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've shown this soo many times over the last 10yrs.. LOL I knew I had a pic showing where to cut

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New SPB Build - some questions on steering column/lock and seats