Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace Boxster/Cayman 981 front center grill without removing bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:57 PM
hieusays
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace Boxster/Cayman 981 front center grill without removing bumper

Hi guys,

So I bottomed my front center bumper a little when I was backing out of a driveway. Unfortunately, it also popped the clips off of the front center grill

Anyway, it seemed impossible to put it back without removing the bumper and pressing the clips in individually. BUT, I examined the clips and figured out how to do it without removing the bumper.

Tools you'll need: 50lb fishing line...that's it...

Step 1: Cut the fishing line into 1 foot segments (you'll need 13 of them)

Step 2: tie them into loops.

Step 3: put the grill into the bumper where it is supposed to go.

Step 4: feed the fishing line loop through the bumper slits, then through the grill clip, hooking around the clip in the back. (or vice versa)

This picture is only to demonstrate. This is another member's 911 with a similar situation.

Step 5: Make sure all 13 clips (might be 11, I can't remember how many) are looped and hooked. You don't want to leave any unsecured.

the loop goes through the hole in the bumper and then hooks around the corresponding clip.

Here's what it looks like all ready to pull.

Step 6: Start at one end and pull until you hear it click into it's secured position. It takes a lot of force. Go in order and pull them one by one until they all click.

Step 7: cut the loop and pull them out. All done.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 AM
SC_Driver
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks hieusays! I'll give this method a try. I really dont' want to remove the bumper cover just to snap the grill insert in.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:19 PM
SC_Driver
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Hieusays,

It worked!!! The fish line method worked...I was so excited to hear those tabs snapping into the slots!

Thanks Hieusays! Saved removing the bumper cover.

The only thing I changed was taping the fish line to the back of the tab so it didn't fall off while inserting it thru the slot.

Wayne
Old 10-20-2018, 02:41 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I can pull my grill pretty easily in position using a sharp screwdriver in the upper center part and it looks that it is sitting in perfect final position but I don't hear the clicks. After a bit of faster driving, the grill comes off again. I am wondering when you have a full functional grill (all clips are functional), can you still pull the grill in the final position without the clips clicking in or will there be still a gap until the clips click in? Before using the fishing line technique I just wanted to make sure that my grille is actually functional and the clips are intact. Thanks
Old 10-20-2018, 07:37 PM
hieusays
AutoX

Originally Posted by john981
I can pull my grill pretty easily in position using a sharp screwdriver in the upper center part and it looks that it is sitting in perfect final position but I don't hear the clicks. After a bit of faster driving, the grill comes off again. I am wondering when you have a full functional grill (all clips are functional), can you still pull the grill in the final position without the clips clicking in or will there be still a gap until the clips click in? Before using the fishing line technique I just wanted to make sure that my grille is actually functional and the clips are intact. Thanks
Unless they're broken off, they will click. It may seem well set but if it hasn't clicked, then it will come off at high speeds.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:18 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hieusays
Unless they're broken off, they will click. It may seem well set but if it hasn't clicked, then it will come off at high speeds.
Thank you so much, this has been exactly my problem, I thought has something to do that the clips were worn out, was about to buy a new grille but than I saw your post. I will try your fishing line technique.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:20 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

I tried the fishing line technique. It was more complicated than I thought, the loops kept coming off behind the clips, If I would do it again, would have a second person helping keeping the loops under tension, while I hook the others in. I also would cut and remove each loop after it clicks in, helps to keep the overview. I think 3 or 4 of my clips didn't engage, I pulled as hard as I could but at one point I was afraid to brake the bumper inserts. At the end I am very happy with the stability, hope the missing few wont kick the grille out again. Many thanks to @hieusays !
Old 10-01-2019, 07:56 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

I have the same problem along with some broken tabs that will require repairing ...defiantly a weak spot in design here when such a simple thing becomes this difficult to resolve.. I will report back once I complete my repair.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 AM
legbreak2
1st Gear

Default Boxster Grille Re-installation

The fishing line method worked like a charm. I bought 80lb line from Dick's....13 cents per yard. Total cost $1.38.

First thing I did was takeoff my license plate off. Then we made the loops using about 2' pieces (longest task). I inserted the loops through the grille and taped it to the back of the clips with small pieces of scotch tape; this helped keep the line secure. My wife helped me by holding the loops after we puled each one through the fender clip. When I pulled the loop through I tied additional knots in the line to make sure they held. You can hear each section clip in as you go. All said from start to finish it took about 20 minutes.

Thank you for this great tip!

Peter
Old 07-07-2020, 04:15 PM
oronymo
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

This is amazing! I will have to try. Unfortunately not only did my center piece come out, but the tabs on the bumper side are almost all broken. I think I will have to epoxy new plastic pieces to recreate the 'slots' for the tabs.

Quick Reply: How to replace Boxster/Cayman 981 front center grill without removing bumper