Sponsored by:

The Power of ProCoach

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default The Power of ProCoach

So last year I hired Peter for a day. One element he gave me was a new line into the left hander. Here we have a graph comparing me to Simon Kirkby who drives a slightly different line in the left hander. This is in my new F car 2004 Boxster S and I asked him to drive my car alone for several laps to give me a data reference. We both agreed that there were some issues with suspension and alignment etc. and clearly I have much to learn in West Bend,

BUT

the point of this thread is the .25 drop that I get in the Left Hander. It's data proven that the line Peter teaches - just using data - is worth .25 secs in a couple hundred feet.

Peter - I NEED to hire you again soon!!

EDIT: The best part is this kind of data analysis is available to everyone. You can try a new entry or brake pressure or line and the data will tell you what is happening with no doubts. I realize this is all old news to many or even most folks here. I just felt like sharing as I'm still in that new guy learning stage

2nd EDIT: The original title said Power or, I meant to say Power of.

Last edited by JP66; 06-24-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

You're very kind, Joe! Impressive performance.

Looking good in the Uphill, too!

Not really a "new line," at all. Just an entry that allows shorter braking and earlier on the power, with better geometry. Well supported by over forty years of teaching by the staff at Skip Barber, when Skip Barber was the gold standard.

And let's not forget, YOU are the one that PUSHES the pedals and TURNS the wheel, so YOU did it.

We talked about it, but YOU internalized it, built a belief system that integrated this geometry into your approach and then committed to executing it as well as you could, with the proper results!

Taught to me in the early eighties by Bruce MacInnes, Harry Reynolds and Mike Zimicki, and integrated into the curriculum of SBRS after collection and analysis of massive amounts of data, before there was regular access to ANY sort of data. Pretty cool.

But it also fits into and abides by the foundation of skills we use driving on all tracks, congruent with (and with sound basis) in these fundamental tenets, instead of folklore...

Congrats, and thanks for the kind words. Please send me that file. I'd love to compare it to another pro I respect.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-25-2017, 10:25 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

These are the stories us coaches LIVE for! Nice work guys!
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 06-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

+1 !!!
Old 06-25-2017, 03:18 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

And the video that matches the data? that would be interesting to see.
the easy time in and out of the left hander is, keeping the car in the power band, like we talked about with your cayman R. there is another .25 to 1 second there alone, without data. it all adds up.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:26 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark kibort
And the video that matches the data? that would be interesting to see.
Sadly, I was a dingle-heimer and didn't push the card far enough into the slot to engage properly and since it's a 64 GB card I didn't check until the end of the day, soooo . . . I got zippo for video yesterday. Thank goodness for data! Words can not express my disappointment at the moment of discovery. The crazy part is I almost always check video between sessions, but yesterday there were just so many other items going on like trying a CoolShirt for the first time and getting my Solo DL setup properly I never prioritized the video. Good news is I hopefully have years of practice and racing so other opportunities to video my sessions should be plentiful
Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JP66
Sadly, I was a dingle-heimer and didn't push the card far enough into the slot to engage properly and since it's a 64 GB card I didn't check until the end of the day, soooo . . . I got zippo for video yesterday. Thank goodness for data! Words can not express my disappointment at the moment of discovery. The crazy part is I almost always check video between sessions, but yesterday there were just so many other items going on like trying a CoolShirt for the first time and getting my Solo DL setup properly I never prioritized the video. Good news is I hopefully have years of practice and racing so other opportunities to video my sessions should be plentiful
Thats one of the bummers of video.. when it doesnt work! (or runs out of space)
yes, there will be much more video.. from what i saw from your other videos , both in cayman and boxster, a double downshift before turn 1 should carry more speed through that section and give you more power and control, for several seconds when straight, as you approach the uphill. Certainly worth .25 seconds for sure! the data and the video will show it.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:09 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Thats one of the bummers of video.. when it doesnt work! (or runs out of space)
yes, there will be much more video.. from what i saw from your other videos , both in cayman and boxster, a double downshift before turn 1 should carry more speed through that section and give you more power and control, for several seconds when straight, as you approach the uphill. Certainly worth .25 seconds for sure! the data and the video will show it.

Maybe for you young whipper-snappers a double downshift is feasible, but if you watch my video from my first race at Lime Rock, you can see I struggled with not upsetting the car with a double down shift. Shifting in all conditions is most definitely a learned and difficult skill. In my peer group at the Lime Rock Drivers Club, there are numerous individuals that went into racing and are doing reasonably well, but they all chose PDK cars because no matter how hard they tried the "heel-toe" downshift eluded them.

Point is I agree with you that a shift might optimize the lap, but one would need Cat Like reflexes and coordination of which I sadly am short
Old 06-26-2017, 02:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JP66
Maybe for you young whipper-snappers a double downshift is feasible, but if you watch my video from my first race at Lime Rock, you can see I struggled with not upsetting the car with a double down shift. Shifting in all conditions is most definitely a learned and difficult skill. In my peer group at the Lime Rock Drivers Club, there are numerous individuals that went into racing and are doing reasonably well, but they all chose PDK cars because no matter how hard they tried the "heel-toe" downshift eluded them.

Point is I agree with you that a shift might optimize the lap, but one would need Cat Like reflexes and coordination of which I sadly am short
actually, no.. you would benefit, and its a mechanical thing. just do two downshifts. on your video, (one clip) you actually seemed like you sensed the lower HP range and downshifted in an un-optimum time in that section (a little too late) .... but, if you do this ahead of time ,you will have MORE control (more RPM, and decel hp to control the rear of the car ) AND accel HP when you go WOT, which is on the straight sections after turn 1 and the entrance to the uphill sections. As you approach turn 1, just blip shift as you are doing, and do it once more just before turn in. there is , AT LEAST, a half of a second there for sure. (this is valid for both cars you have, boxster and caymanR) this advice will save you another 1/2 and guess what... NO charge!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I vote for moving all HP related discussions to drag racing forums!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:51 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Lower gear should be your username
Old 06-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Lower gear should be your username
Old 06-26-2017, 04:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
I vote for moving all HP related discussions to drag racing forums!!!
Lower gears for better HP utilization (and control) is the hall mark of racing (road or drag)
When i coach for speed /lap time, this is just one of the tools i use, Peter may have others , but when mine are used, gains are made ,its that simple. anyone that does race or knows how to decrease lap times or segment times can attest.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:57 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shifting takes time away from accelerating, so there are instances when it's not advisable, but some people will never understand or accept that their way isn't the only way. They'll just keep hammering their point.

Quick Reply: The Power of ProCoach