Sponsored by:

Slicks and the 996 hybrid dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Slicks and the 996 hybrid dry sump

Looking at getting slicks for the track. I've heard rumors that slicks would create too much G-gorce and that the pseudo dry sump of the 996 cannot handle it. The engine would run dry for seconds on hard turns, leading to engine failure.

Is this just marketing BS to sell aftermarket sumps with "improved" baffles? Anyone run into this experience? Anyone running slicks on the track with no problems?

Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

An X51 baffle or accusump is recommended. I don't know of any race cars that aren't running one or the other.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed. The debatable choice may be which X51 style baffle system is best ? I'll open the bidding with Bilt Racing's offering. Note skid plate in link below.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...deep-sump.html
Old 04-29-2017, 06:19 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Looking at getting slicks for the track. I've heard rumors that slicks would create too much G-gorce and that the pseudo dry sump of the 996 cannot handle it. The engine would run dry for seconds on hard turns, leading to engine failure.

Is this just marketing BS to sell aftermarket sumps with "improved" baffles? Anyone run into this experience? Anyone running slicks on the track with no problems?

Thanks!!
I think it's pretty well documented that the wet sump
engine can have oil starvation in certain G situations. A search here and the racing forum will turn up some "light" reading.

Many folks try to address this with deep pan, extended pickup, and baffles. Those are really the low hanging solutions. I don't think it's marketing. But there are are more than a few gurus that can explain the realities. I only stayed at a holiday in express.

-td
Old 04-29-2017, 07:29 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You have to ask yourself why Porsche Motorsports does not use these engines on the track and has specifically stated they are not built for track use.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
You have to ask yourself why Porsche Motorsports does not use these engines on the track and has specifically stated they are not built for track use.
So that they don't have to warranty them. With a few modifications, the M96 makes a great track engine.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:26 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the replies, all.

Guess I'll continue with Pilot Sport Cups, then. As for the engine, I've been tracking the car for the last 16 years, now with 61,000 miles on the odometer, using a variety of DOT legal but R compound tires. Never had an issue with the engine. But, never used slicks, either. And, based on your responses, probably will never use slicks. I'd rather do that than mess with "improving" an engine that has been pretty perfect since I bought the car new in 2002.

Thanks, again, all!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
With a few modifications, the M96 makes a great track engine.
no, it doesn't.

To even get out of the gate you need sump baffles and a deep sump, a motorsport AOS, and race spec oil. Then you gotta worry about the IMS, cracked heads, too high a coolant temp, too old a water pump, etc etc.

Its a crappy engine for motorsport.

Quick Reply: Slicks and the 996 hybrid dry sump