Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you, or anyone else, buy a .1GT3 Now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:15 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why would you, or anyone else, buy a .1GT3 Now?

So hear me out. There has been a number of threads about the cost of the .2GT3 and “Added Dealer Mark-Ups” (ADMs) with Rennlisters chipping in with opinions supporting different viewpoints ranging from “I'm switching to McLaren” to “just get out and drive and quit worrying about price”, etc. Is this another one of those threads? Maybe….not quite sure…..
As I wait patiently (OK, maybe not so patiently) for the .2GT3 to become available, I’ve been thinking about a couple different angles on the market, etc. I asked myself today, “Why the hell would I even consider buying a .1GT3 knowing what we know about the CEL issues, and if I owned one right now, why wouldn’t I “firesale” it to unload it ASAP?”
I mean, really. Here’s what we know about the .1GT3 from probably one of, if not THE, most reliable sources available:
Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Have them check for cylinder scoring and bearing wear when the head is off, all of that metal has to go somewhere, and you don't want an engine in the car that has DLC particles embedded in the bearings and scoring in the cylinders... Another reenlisted had to push and eventually got a new G engine out of it, took a bit of effort, but they got it done. I suggest the same for you...
To all that are hopeful the G engine is immune, the design is the same as the E,F on the valve train only DLC coated, so it takes longer to start wearing the metal. The G engined cars will show this issue as well, just don't know how long it will take. There's a reason why they went from hydraulic lash adjusters, to solid lash adjusters in the 991.2 engine and this is why we're putting a lot of resources into addressing this, as I personally don't have confidence Porsche will warranty this issue once the warranty is expired...
2. Look at the pics below….. enough said

So what sense does it make to drop $130-150K on a .1GT3, when you may be on the hook for $30-40K in “repairs” (not a definitive fix) that may only act as a Band Aid and need to be done again when the failure occurs again? Now figuring the failure cost, you’ve spent between $160-190K on a .1GT3. These numbers aren’t far off what a .2GT3 will be with ADMs, and if you get in at MSRP on a .2GT3, then it is actually cheaper than a used .1GT3.

This isn’t even figuring in the PITA factor of the .1GT3. Let’s face it, PAC will likely not warranty these cars forever. How could they? And do you think they will recall them all and drop in the .2 motor? Buying a .1GT3 is just catching a falling knife. As more potential buyers find out about the problems (or potential problems) and when the .2’s are more readily available, the .1 market will completely dump….completely dump …. Why wouldn’t it?
(Ok, off the soapbox, stepping away from the keyboard, back to waiting for the .2.....)
Originally Posted by levd
This engine was designed bad. Top-end rebuilds will only fix it for a while. I expect mine to fail again within next 10.000 miles.
Originally Posted by levd
We will soon. Zero doubts. They will ALL fail again. And again. And again.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2017, 02:19 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

I honestly don't get these posts.. why antagonize the .1 owners? If they are happy, what's it matter to anyone else.. Buy what you can afford, and drive it until you feel it in your soul.. -Rinse & Repeat...
Old 04-28-2017, 02:23 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 04-28-2017, 02:44 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Yep. The 991.1 sold well because it brought in all the PDK guys and Porsche made the 991.1 owners their beta testers.

Get on board the 991.2 train while you can now that there's a true motorsports-derived engine involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 991.1 GT3 is considered the '911 SC' of the GT3 family in the future and the least desirable model. As far as I'm concerned, it already is.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ The 911SC has always been respected and many consider it the most robust 911 ever made (once the air box is vented and oil-fed chain tensioners are fitted).

I think you are referring to the 'mid-years' (1975-1977) that came before it...
Old 04-28-2017, 03:03 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

I think myself and every other .1 owner should just burn our cars at the stake. Great and informative post???

Last edited by RobbieRob; 04-29-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

How many of these posts do we really need?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

rockers don't scare me, I lived thru IMS, coolant hoses, centerlocks.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2017, 03:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

OP, I think there are several things you are not factoring in. First, there are no guarantees that the new GT3 won't have a serious issue. No way to know at this point. Second, you assume that if/when this issue comes up out of warranty, Porsche is going to say "not my problem."

You have to consider that every 991 GT3, GT3 RS and 911 R are prone to this issue. And it is very well documented. In the world we live in today, bad PR is really a killer for any company, including Porsche. What do you think is going to happen the first time Porsche tries to deny a claim out of warranty for this issue? It is just not happening. The problem is too big. I fully expect at some point that all 991.1 GT3. RS and 911 R owners will get extended warranties.

Is there some uncertainty? Yeah. But are we all facing doom? Nope. I just enjoy driving mine and try not to worry about such things.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:31 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

I know a dealer that will buy everyone for .10 on the dollar. It's the 'catching the falling knife' sale this weekend only.

He is also selling the machines to freeze dry food.

The world is ending--get out now--.10 on the dollar is a steal.

My god OP you need to go buy something to occupy your time as you 'wait for your .2GT3' that may have a worse issue :-)

I'd go buy one of those McLarens if I were you...excellent 'investments'.

#troll

Attached Images  

Last edited by ATXGT3; 04-28-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
I honestly don't get these posts.. why antagonize the .1 owners? If they are happy, what's it matter to anyone else.. Buy what you can afford, and drive it until you feel it in your soul.. -Rinse & Repeat...
+1

And to add : to be honest,the .1 GT3 is a pretty sweet car when it's running well. It sounds and looks great!
If you buy one now you'll have 2 more years of warranty in most of them and you can buy some more after that. Done.
I personally don't think I would keep any of the new DFIs with complicated electronics past warranty anyway. And that includes GT4 and the .2 GT3.
Unless the car is at a value where I consider it as a throw away car and I have no problem if it blows up.
I mean : look at what the manufacturers are doing today! Cars are becoming cheaper and cheaper to make and they basically become throw aways when engineers consider " lifetime " 100K miles! Planned obsolescence anyone?!

I bet anyone the 991.2 GT3 has a plastic oil pan!
Old 04-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If my "bastard" 991.1 engine turns out to be a dud then so be it. I think it would make for a great coffee table, on top of that, the car would look beautiful hung on the wall. At least I will know my "art" came at a bargain.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 04-28-2017, 04:07 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Why would any one buy a .1gt3 now? The answer is simple and obvious in my market at least. They can be purchased for $50-60k less than the .2 gt3 plus their warranty is extendable for something like 10 years or so. Also .1gt3 can be in your garage right now as opposed to the earliest deliveries of Sept-Oct for the .2. Most will need to wait even longer. By then the .2gt3RS will be announced. Then the .2gt3 will be a has been model.

Quick Reply: Why would you, or anyone else, buy a .1GT3 Now?