Am I crazy for wanting a CUP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I crazy for wanting a CUP?

Hi

I've been a happy 993 owner for many years and actually while I'm still happy with that car I find myself drooling over the cup cars daily - I browse through the same adverts over and over. Over the recent couple of years I've been bitten by the trackday bug and I'm at a point now where I feed I need to act on it if I wan't to believe it when I tell myself I'm living to the fullest of my abilities. I apologize if that sounds corny haha

It started out some years with "pro" racing-simulators where I logged hundreds of hours (1000 actually) just getting down the basics of racing cars, learning all of the major tracks by heart and the theory of driving a track - particularly in 997 and 991 Cup cars. In the recent years I've tried to get as much real life track action as I can - renting cars or joining friends. But each time I jump into a new car it's always on limited time with a bunch of restrictions (mental ones too since I'm borrowing someones pride and joy), so when I leave the track it's not totally fulfilling.

So I've concluded that I need my own "no limits" track car. Since I'm not a seasoned or very experienced track-driver the Cayman S in a track-version or a GT4 is the one everyone recommends to me, but it just doesn't get my heart pumping like the visceral CUP does - not even close... I see the Cup and I can feel sparks in my head

I think I've read all there is to read and I'm still not sure about the service intervals, but when I talk to non-cup owners what they tell me sounds very scary, but then I read this forum (and others) and it sounds more reasonable. I read about people who do 5-10 trackdays a year (no races) do a gearbox renovation every 2-3 years - change oil 2 times during the season. Some people with cars from 2010 hasn't opened up their engine, just serviced it. If anyone could share some thoughts I'd love to hear them.

I live in europe (english it not my first language) and here we have plenty of cup cars for sale all the time. My plan is to get a car with a paddle system fitted which I have understood will go easier on the gearbox and possibly extend the duration between service intervals.

I have the cash for the car and also some xtra, but I don't have endless pockets at all so I do have respect for getting into this if it's 10-15 times more expensive than running a Cayman track-car. But if it's "just" 2-3 times I can deal with it.

As the topic states I'm unsure if I'm crazy to want this. Should I take peoples advice and begin with the cayman, and enjoy a couple of "budget" and years while building up talent to tackle the CUP or should I just jump into it now.

Whats your thoughts on the service-intervals? Exaggerated or are people right to "warn me".

Anyone here like me that are not retired carrera cup champions but just trackday racers who couldn't settle for less?

All advice or thoughts needed and don't hold back I can absolutely deal with the truth Better now than later.

Thank you
Old 04-25-2017, 10:22 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me the Cup is the most exciting and visceral track experience i could ever want. I agree with your decision to get a Cup the question is what model.
Personally I like stock versions. 996 are the last of the six speeds and as a DE car people are getting 150 hours plus on engines. The maintenance is affordable but would be way better if a shop supported or helped you.
997's are rougher on transmissions and rebuild is more expensive

991 prices have come down now that the 991.2's are out. If you get one with the transmission upgrade you have the best Cup going without buying a new 2017

Upgraded 2014's are around at reasonable prices for a car of that level and factory paddle shifters

I finish with four comments

1. GET A CUP!!

2. For a DE car maintenance costs are reasonable

3. If possible be involved with a shop that are familiar with the in's and out's of Cup cars

4. Last but far from least is hire a Pro coach to help you learn how to drive it!!

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:28 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I dunno...I find that doing a DE in my 996 cup is pointless...even in the experienced and fast run groups I am constantly getting backed up and coming up on other participants way too fast for comfort....Racing it is a different story however ! If I were only going to do DE weekends I would not do them in a cup car...I'd have a well set up Cayman for sure...Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can afford it, get it. 2 hours with a real Cup on the track will make you forget the 1000 hours of what you thought was fun on the sim....
Old 04-26-2017, 12:44 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look, you are going to do it regardless of what you are told here, and the consensus will be to go for it, so do it. But the costs will be far more than you thought. I bought a GT3 which had been converted to a Cup facsimile, which I thought was a good compromise, yet I've had multiple engine replacements, clutches, axles, etc, etc. The car is still addictive but my savings have taken a hit. In addition, the car has been out of service more than I dreamt. Just be realistic.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:53 AM
DG27
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the UK and have had two cups

Both gen 2 997's

I wrote the first one off in a huge smash but it protected me perfectly (I front ended a concrete wall with an impact speed of 82mph)

With the insurance I bought a 2014 as new car, it has the Holinger shifttek system and its awesome

In the UK though I am budgeting about £1000 an hour running costs for the season of racing and track days which picks up all costs apart from damage.

Check out my facebook page under propertypetrolheads to see it

Go for it

D
Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 AM
appear
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. It was great to read all of your input.

What I'm taking away from your comments are:

- I need to look closer at the 2014 models with factory paddles. Good tip.

- I have to make sure the shop I plan to use are familiar with cups. I'm in contact with a two smaller teams who have raced Cups and I'm pretty sure their mechanic might be someone I could hire for jobs. Do you guys change oil between each weekend, even if it's just trackdays or just a couple of times during the season?

- I need to get a coach. That was always a part of the plan. We have some very talented retied Le Mans Porsche drivers who are available for coach-hire, so I'd probably go that route as that would be an experience in itself.

- @BGIERE: Thats very interesting. The local tracks to me are not exactly "Spa" level so if you're right about coming up too fast on the other guys thats a real concern. One of the things I love about the 993 is that it's lack of power (to be honest) means I can drive it pretty much to it's limits (or at least close to them). Also I don't wish to be a nuisance to the rest of the track-guys. I'm also doing this as a social thing.

---

Just to touch on the whole cayman alternative. My problem is not with the name. I think GT4s are cool. Problem with those as well as regular GT3s are that most of the adverts I see stress that the car has never seen a track. So I'm concerned that if I take a pristine GT4 to the track and trash it around for a couple of seasons that the car will be unsellable. Also I don't need to use it on the road at all (got the 993 for that) so all the added creature comforts are really spoiled on me.

I have looked at something very cheap such as this one:
http://www.motorsportmarkt.de/show/r...ayman-s-6.html

Which ticks a lot of the boxes that I am going for. I'm sure that will make me feel alive as well

But it's impossible to get a clear understanding of the "history" or the manufacture quality of these builds - the cage looks pretty home-made.

Then I'd have to do it myself, and I have to admit when I first saw the "Kit" below I did think for a minute that it looked badass. I hate 993 RWB builds with a passion (all show, no go), but there was just something about how agressive this made the 987 model look that made me consider it again:
http://www.pancross.jp/bodykit/pande...wide-body-kit/

I know it's also a bit fugly, but to answer my own question I think the whole Cayman package is just too "sedated" or rounded for me. So I need something to make it more raw and track focused - possibly faster as well.

And that leads me back to the cup every time.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Part of the fun of DE for me is trying to catch similar or faster cars and just having fun driving in the vicinity of friends.

I was once on track with a Cup car doing demo laps in my group. It went by me like I was riding a bicycle.

I think the thrill of driving one would be amazing but I don't think I'd want it as my regular DE car.

I'm currently dreaming about getting a GT3 for DE but part of me thinks even that will be too much.

Just some food for thought.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:55 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

I don't know what tracks you'll be driving on but here is no way to approach anywhere near the limit in a cup at a DE in any of the tracks I go to ! It is frustrating more than fun IMHO...Race it and your opinion changes !
Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 AM
appear
Rennlist Member

Really helpful and valuable insights. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Why hasn't the OP mentioned the GT4 Clubsport? It ticks the "real racecar" box and supposedly has less maintenance cost then the bigger brothers.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:51 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

in case you decide,
I have a stock 996 cup for sale with a new engine, gearbox, clutch and every thing else new!!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:10 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
I don't know what tracks you'll be driving on but here is no way to approach anywhere near the limit in a cup at a DE in any of the tracks I go to ! It is frustrating more than fun IMHO...Race it and your opinion changes !
LOL Follow Savenor and I at the Glen with CVR DE where we saw 56's. Your at the wrong DE's

6cups are fine at the right track day group. 991's might be a bit to fast.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Dang I am hanging out at the wrong tracks !
Old 04-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Ted in Rochester
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Echoing some of the earlier comments, I find my 6-Cup limits me in the track day events I go to versus my earlier track-prepared 993. Since the mid corner speeds are so much higher than most DE cars I find it very difficult to get a clean lap in. A 997 or 991 Cup would be even worse. If you restrict yourself to very fast track day events like Group 52 you will be okay but, the normal instructional format groups are frustrating. Also, if you are an instructor, the care and feeding time requirements of a Cup combined with instructing duties can be a handful.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a CUP?