I think I just got burnt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:45 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think I just got burnt!

Backstory:

I purchased a 1999 996 C2 6 speed with 113k miles. The owner was selling the car because he was moving his family to Arizona for work and didn't want to take the car with him. We talked extensively about the car over the course of a few weeks and he seemed honest and **** about the vehicle. He is an engineer and seemed mechanically inclined.

Earlier in this process the owner told me that he had changed over to 20w50 the last oil change because they were moving to Arizona. I was a little on edge over this, but was sure any problems would be caught during the PPI.

He agreed on doing a PPI, no hassle involved. I called the nearest Porsche dealership in Illinois and they said they wouldnt do a PPI due to lawsuits in the past. I found a guy in Decatur, Illinois to look the car over. The mechanic wasn't a Porsche expert but worked on euro cars for the last few decades. He performed an oil change, Mobil 1 5w40 and I told him to drive the car around for an hour to see if there were any odd noises. Nothing reported and he said the car was in great condition.

My wife and I decide to take the 7 hour trip out to Illinois to look over and listen to the car. Car sounded great on a cold start up and after driving it for 10 miles I took it back to the sellers house and listened to it again. I didnt notice anything particularly alarming. The transaction took place and we were on our way.

My wife and I drove 60 miles on the highway and stopped in Campaign, Illinois. Who doesn't like checking out beautiful college towns full of optimism. We check in at the hotel and I hear a noise nobody wants to hear. I park the car and grabbed a few videos which are posted below.

Sounds like 100 percent engine knock to me. Question is was the guy hiding this with the 20w50 oil or did I get struck by lightning? I talked to the owner and I could hear the concern in his voice. He said he wouldnt take the car back but didn't want to screw anyone over. We agreed to get the car looked at and I would get in contact with him. Maybe he'd give me some money back, I don't really know.

At this point I'm pretty bummed and wanted to hear what your thoughts are. Do I ditch the car here 6 hours from home and rent a car? With all intentions to eventually ship it on a truck to a Porsche mechanic in Ohio or somewhere else. Or should I drive it home and just deal with it. If you were wondering I paid 14.5k.

Last edited by gnarbowski; 04-23-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:52 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I have to ask. You checked the oil level with the dipstick and it's fine? Oil pressure is fine? No apparent leaks?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
I have to ask. You checked the oil level with the dipstick and it's fine? Oil pressure is fine? No apparent leaks?
Oil fluid level is fine I just checked it.

On a cold start the engine goes up to 5 and drops down after warming up. It idles at about a 2. On the drive after paying for it, it consistently stayed a notch under a 4 on the gauge. This was driving at 77mph over the span of an hour.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Unlikely the PO switched to 20w-50 oil to hide something. Once even 20w-50 oil is up to temperature it flows about as readily as 5w-50 even 5w-40 and 0w-40. (With either 0w-40 or 5w-50 oil in my Boxster or Turbo I can't tell which oil is which based on engine noise at start up or at any other time. With the Turbo and its oil pressure gage the hot idle oil pressure is about the same. Now if you told me the engine oil smelled like transmissioni fluid.... 75w-90 will quiet an engine.)

The noise doesn't have to be an internal engine noise. Could be an exhaust leak even a loose spark plug.

Did the PPI involve a compression test? Or perhaps the tech just pulled a plug or two? If so he could have failed to properly tighten a plug.

I'm always reluctant to say continue to drive the car. The odds are the car is ok but in case I'm wrong (and I hope I'm wrong about being wrong) my advice would be to seek out a place, a Porsche shop which means you'll probably need to hang around until Monday, where you are to have the car looked at and the noise diagnosed, or arrange to have it flat bedded to your favorite Porsche shop where you live.

If the noise is not coming from the engine -- or is coming from the engine -- a tech should be able to determine that without much effort. If out side the engine then a plug or exhaust leak most likely. But he should check the accessory drive system for any signs of trouble from that area. (When on the start of a long road trip it was a bad idler roller bearing I heard that cut short my road trip until I could get the car repaired.)

And I second rockhouse66's about checking the oil level.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:21 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Originally Posted by Macster
Unlikely the PO switched to 20w-50 oil to hide something. Once even 20w-50 oil is up to temperature it flows about as readily as 5w-50 even 5w-40 and 0w-40. (With either 0w-40 or 5w-50 oil in my Boxster or Turbo I can't tell which oil is which based on engine noise at start up or at any other time. With the Turbo and its oil pressure gage the hot idle oil pressure is about the same. Now if you told me the engine oil smelled like transmissioni fluid.... 75w-90 will quiet an engine.)

The noise doesn't have to be an internal engine noise. Could be an exhaust leak even a loose spark plug.

Did the PPI involve a compression test? Or perhaps the tech just pulled a plug or two? If so he could have failed to properly tighten a plug.

I'm always reluctant to say continue to drive the car. The odds are the car is ok but in case I'm wrong (and I hope I'm wrong about being wrong) my advice would be to seek out a place, a Porsche shop which means you'll probably need to hang around until Monday, where you are to have the car looked at and the noise diagnosed, or arrange to have it flat bedded to your favorite Porsche shop where you live.

If the noise is not coming from the engine -- or is coming from the engine -- a tech should be able to determine that without much effort. If out side the engine then a plug or exhaust leak most likely. But he should check the accessory drive system for any signs of trouble from that area. (When on the start of a long road trip it was a bad idler roller bearing I heard that cut short my road trip until I could get the car repaired.)

And I second rockhouse66's about checking the oil level.
Post number 3 explains what's going on with the oil pressure.

I didn't have a compression or leakdown test performed on the engine. I agree with you that its unlikely the previous owner ran the thicker oil to hide a problem. In this day and age you have to question people's intentions. It didnt seem like they were strapped for cash.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 PM
maplefrm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know anything about this shop from personal experience but have read they do good work on Porsche's and they are in Champaign IL

Rick's Automotive Service 54 E. Springfield Ave 217-351-2662

Good luck
Old 04-22-2017, 11:17 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maplefrm
I don't know anything about this shop from personal experience but have read they do good work on Porsche's and they are in Champaign IL

Rick's Automotive Service 54 E. Springfield Ave 217-351-2662

Good luck
I screwed the pooch with the PPI and should have sent it there to begin with. Hindsight is 20/20. I'm planning on being at their garage Monday morning. Thankfully its a block from the hotel.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Are you serious?

You bought an 18 year old with 113K miles car based on a PPI from a shop you selected and you think you got burned because you don't like how it sounds now that you own it? This is why I hate selling cars to individuals. Drive the car home or flatbed it if you think it necessary. You did not get burned. You bought a used car. The seller acted honorably.

Rant over.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

This is why I hate selling cars to individuals.
1,000% with you.

This one has a failed cylinder, possibly two. It probably happened over the winter (like always) and just had enough run time now to show it's self. Had 6 of these calls last week, all cylinders, all in the mid- west (except on in Canada). April and May are the times when we see these particular reports skyrocket annually.

I can have it picked up on Monday :-)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993James993
Are you serious?

You bought an 18 year old with 113K miles car based on a PPI from a shop you selected and you think you got burned because you don't like how it sounds now that you own it? This is why I hate selling cars to individuals. Drive the car home or flatbed it if you think it necessary. You did not get burned. You bought a used car. The seller acted honorably.

Rant over.
I seem a lot more calm over this entire situation than you. I appreciate your insight, thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:54 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnarbowski
I seem a lot more calm over this entire situation than you. I appreciate your insight, thanks.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Knocking bad she's done.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
Are you serious?

Rant over.
take it easy buddy, deep breaths .....
Old 04-23-2017, 03:37 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
1,000% with you.

This one has a failed cylinder, possibly two. It probably happened over the winter (like always) and just had enough run time now to show it's self. Had 6 of these calls last week, all cylinders, all in the mid- west (except on in Canada). April and May are the times when we see these particular reports skyrocket annually.

I can have it picked up on Monday :-)
Classy. Backhand insult to the OP, later followed by a business plug.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:54 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Take it one step at a time. Go to the shop on Monday that is a mile from the hotel. See what they say. Good luck.

Quick Reply: I think I just got burnt!