Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts
Default ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.

It's back! And it appears they now have software for your iPhone (besides the already available Android software.)

It's been NLA for a while - but today on FaceBook they announced it was back with a new one. You can find it at: http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-5052-L...r+Android.html

What's it do? Probably everything that Durametric Pro does for a fraction of the price, with unlimited number of cars - and software for LOTS of other car manufacturers. A much more universal tool, having detailed diagnostics for our Cayennes. Cost - $158. With a choice of 5 car manufacturers software included. It uses the "Launch" software package - and they are a very well known maker of high-price diagnostics tools.

I own a Durametric. I haven't used it in about a year - since I got the ICarScan.

ICarScan is much easier to use than the Durametric since it works with my Android smartphone, no need to boot up a computer and plug it into the computer. It connects via Bluetooth to the phone. I carry it in the Cayenne since it's tiny and can be used anytime I have my phone along (about 100% of the time.) So far I haven't found anything I can't do with it that could be done with the Porsche PWIS. Doesn't mean there isn't - but I haven't found it yet. It resets all the different service reminders. Resets adaptatations. Reads out real-time values and can plot them. Can read and clear codes stored in any of the vehicle modules.

DISCLAIMER: I get nothing for posting this except hoping to encourage the company to continue producing it, since that means there will be software updates for the one I already own. I like it. I think it's good value. YMMV - but I don't think so.

ADDITIONAL INFO: (05/05/17) People have reported that the iOS application apparently is difficult to impossible to get working. Before buying it - if all you have is an iPhone - I'd suggest reading the thread and talking to some of the people who have tried it on iOS. Other people have mentioned success or difficulty getting the Android application working. I suspect part of the problem is the number of versions of Android on the user market. If you're using an Android phone, or tablet - it might be worth checking or asking who got it working with what. I also should note - it appears I'm running an earlier version of the software on my Android phone (Droid-Turbo-II) and tablet (Verizon Ellipsis-7). I have not tried downloading the new version since I don't like to muck about with a working thing. Again - check and ask people what works if you have a concern. My final warning - communications with the vendor are almost non-existent. When I first got mine (about a year ago) I emailed them about a problem getting it to install on my tablet (which apparently isn't listed as compatible with the software at the Google store) - and got a few brief replies. Since then - I've emailed asking about renewing my subscription - and have gotten no answer. Despite my "subscription" expiring - the software I originally downloaded (5 vehicle brands and the other free stuff) continues to work. It has also updated the firmware on my dongle despite my subscription being expired. What I have not done is open the store feature of it to see if there is a subscription renewal option there. I may do that sometime. Or not. Right now - it's working fine for me.

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-05-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, going to get one.

Got a little nervous with that PayPal only link but was able to put it on my card so I have recourse should it not arrive.

I checked Amazon just to have a bit more power, JCtools is selling it too but higher mark up, Ill roll the dice, ordered via your link
Old 04-13-2017, 11:27 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I think I might pick one up as well. I already have Vagcom, icarsoft, an ELM327 adapter with Torque Pro, durametric, etc. but what the hell. Will it reset the transmission adaptations, KESSY, and airbag warnings too?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by nodoors
I think I might pick one up as well. I already have Vagcom, icarsoft, an ELM327 adapter with Torque Pro, durametric, etc. but what the hell. Will it reset the transmission adaptations, KESSY, and airbag warnings too?
It has the options to reset all of those - I haven't done it since I didn't need to.

As far as buying from obd2tool - when I ordered mine - it arrived in 2 days - from China. I ordered it one evening, it arrived two days later. Express Chinese post.

No complaints there..
Old 04-13-2017, 01:41 PM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 08 GTS. Will this work on my vehicle? How beneficial is it for me to have one other than resetting my "service now" light? I am new to this so please forgive my ignorance.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by kino1161
I have an 08 GTS. Will this work on my vehicle? How beneficial is it for me to have one other than resetting my "service now" light? I am new to this so please forgive my ignorance.
It will work on your vehicle. I can't say how beneficial it would be for you - since I don't know your DIY skill or desire level.

For a DIY owner - it's very valuable since you can read error codes/faults/data from ALL the computer modules in the vehicle. Your '08 probably has 10-12 computers in it.. (a 958 has more than 20..) It can be quite useful if you want other people to help troubleshoot a problem if you can give them a Porsche specific stored error code. MANY of the modules do not report problems via OBD-II codes - the stored errors reports can only be accessed with a tool that can read their memory, and to do this it must mimic the Porsche PWIS diagnostics tool the dealer uses ($15k/rental/year.)

So - your choice. If all you want to do is reset service reminders there are cheaper ways to do it. If you want to know what's going on and what the car thinks is going on (more important IMHO) - you need something like this or a Durametric.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:19 PM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It will work on your vehicle. I can't say how beneficial it would be for you - since I don't know your DIY skill or desire level.

For a DIY owner - it's very valuable since you can read error codes/faults/data from ALL the computer modules in the vehicle. Your '08 probably has 10-12 computers in it.. (a 958 has more than 20..) It can be quite useful if you want other people to help troubleshoot a problem if you can give them a Porsche specific stored error code. MANY of the modules do not report problems via OBD-II codes - the stored errors reports can only be accessed with a tool that can read their memory, and to do this it must mimic the Porsche PWIS diagnostics tool the dealer uses ($15k/rental/year.)

So - your choice. If all you want to do is reset service reminders there are cheaper ways to do it. If you want to know what's going on and what the car thinks is going on (more important IMHO) - you need something like this or a Durametric.

deilenberger, I am a DIY'er. I guess I will be getting one. Thanks, for the explanation.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:10 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

How is this different from the icarsoft POR II i960?

I was hoping to do the hybrid clutch fluid replacement and clutch adaptation service myself, and was wondering if this is what's needed, since the alldatadiy manual points to PIWIS for this service and doesn't provide much of any info on how to perform it.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

@chiapet15,

Since I don't own an icarsoft POR II i960 I can't answer that question. And since you're doing it on a vehicle I have no experience with I'd be doubly baffled..
Old 04-14-2017, 01:48 PM
Tex Willer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this reader can read for example transmission fluid temperature during fluid change, right? (Cayenne 09)

If I search for ICarScan in Apple App store it doesn't find anything. I wonder if the iOS version is available yet. There is a "X431 iDiag US_Euro", but it sounds like the software for another reader they sell for $48.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Tex Willer
So this reader can read for example transmission fluid temperature during fluid change, right? (Cayenne 09)

If I search for ICarScan in Apple App store it doesn't find anything. I wonder if the iOS version is available yet. There is a "X431 iDiag US_Euro", but it sounds like the software for another reader they sell for $48.
I don't own an '09, but it can read the transmission fluid temps on my '11 CTT.

Can't say on the Apple App- maybe you should contact them and ask. I know the version that NAPA was selling had an Apple application (probably the one you found..)
Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 AM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

In the quickstart guide it says this:
"Attention: The purchasing agreement for the software is for ONE year subscription"

Does this mean the software expires at 1 year, and you have to repurchase it inorder to continue using the device? or that you no longer receive updates to the software package you purchased after 1 year? or other?
Old 04-15-2017, 06:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by 957austin
In the quickstart guide it says this:
"Attention: The purchasing agreement for the software is for ONE year subscription"

Does this mean the software expires at 1 year, and you have to repurchase it inorder to continue using the device? or that you no longer receive updates to the software package you purchased after 1 year? or other?
As far as I can tell - the updates end after a year. That mostly effects people who may buy a newer car than their software currently covers. So far mine hasn't told me the software "expired"..
Old 04-15-2017, 06:32 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello All,

I have been in touch with the iCarsoft maker and they are working on new software for Boxster/Cayman that will provide much more functionality across all areas.

I only mention this now (since this thread is not about that model) as once the new SW is available, I will work on setting up a GB in hopes of saving us some money.

No details on the discount, but we'd need at least 15 units so we can order directly from manufacturer at the distributor price.

Eddie
Old 04-15-2017, 06:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
I only mention this now (since this thread is not about that model)
I'll just emphasise that ICarScan and ICarSoft are different items from different companies. I'm not certain - but ICarSoft may use software from Launch - who is the biggest Chinese maker of diagnostics equipment.

I know that ICarScan uses Launch software. It's basically identical to the software Launch uses on their $$$$ tools.

So ICarScan =X= ICarScan

Quick Reply: ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.