Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Cobb Tuning- Clarification and Updates!!!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Cobb Tuning- Clarification and Updates!!!

Hello,

Just wanted to post a quick update as I see some people are starting to flash these ECU's and have some questions on how our flash differs from the competition.

The big thing about our product is that we put our OTS maps through the ringer in testing. Not only do we test on our own dynos's around the country, we test them on race cars as we are technical sponsors for IMSA ( We are at Sebring testing as I type this) as well as test multiple different parts combinations on different platforms.

We also offer custom datalogging and custom tuning which NO other ECU tuner can do at the same level that we can. With our custom logging we can log faster than even the factory PIWIS with custom monitors that the PIWIS does not even support. Most of the other tuners have no datalogging solution at all, so they flash maps on without being able to measure what the engine is doing.

We also have more tables defined and better control of ECU logic than any of our competitors. We are always updating maps and features and they are always free to our customers to download. We have a slew of tuners around the world that we train to be be able to tune Porsche's correctly and always have the backing of Cobb any time basically day or night.

You also don't need to be on the "latest flash" from Porsche. We can read the ECU and add support within generally an hour or two, and that is if we don't already support the ROM which at this time we already support about 300 different ROM's so chances are good that we already support it with no issue.

We also do not require a spare ECU. We are the first to flash the 981 through the OBD we do not need to have a spare ECU to put the car to stock. We can also read the ECU out which no other tuner can do at the moment through the OBD port.

Also the SDI9 is pretty adaptive but please know that by adding parts to your car the ECU or tune does not magically make the car run correctly. Parameters still need to be adjusted to make sure that it is running correctly. This is done through datalogging and checking to be sure that the car is running the correct way.

We write ALL of our our own tools, we do not depend on someone else to do it for us, and this allows us to add custom features and keep upping our support level. So no waiting for engineers over seas, you can deal with either your favorite protuner or can email us day or night and will usually get a response in minutes.

Stage 2 maps are almost done from us as well so keep an eye out for that plus some other cool stuff that will set is apart once and for all

If anyone has questions please feel free to let us know!

mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 03-16-2016, 08:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

This is cool!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

When's the group buy?
Old 03-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
When's the group buy?
2nd
Old 03-17-2016, 12:05 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask for you to elaborate a bit more on your IMSA testing? What car(s) and what were you testing? I know the cars were testing different electronics - new motec system but only a few (3) teams are running GT4s, of which I don't think many were at testing.

Also as it relates to your maps, these maps are a simple plug n'play solution, but do they need to be configured based on what modifications have happened to the car? For example I understand headers can require a tune, but will your standard maps be okay for this or will it require a custom map?
Old 03-17-2016, 01:02 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 266 Posts

Make a IPD Plenum, 82mm Tb, and Fabspeed catless header OTS map please!

Yours truly,
#1 fanboy

Name:  55TdIBO.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  45.8 KB
monitoring FTW!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:46 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ML///
Can I ask for you to elaborate a bit more on your IMSA testing? What car(s) and what were you testing? I know the cars were testing different electronics - new motec system but only a few (3) teams are running GT4s, of which I don't think many were at testing.

Also as it relates to your maps, these maps are a simple plug n'play solution, but do they need to be configured based on what modifications have happened to the car? For example I understand headers can require a tune, but will your standard maps be okay for this or will it require a custom map?
Mitch will probably need to chime in if you need more detail than this but we're supporting teams running regular converted GT4s which will include log analysis, map/tune tweaking and also getting GT4 Clubsport support up and running finally.

As for the OTS maps, the Accessport currently ships with our Stage 1 OTS (Off The Shelf) maps which are designed for otherwise stock vehicles. They'll be just fine with cars running "cat-back" (muffler) upgrades, and drop in filters. The Stage 1 tunes can also be used with the IPD Plenum/TB without fear of major issues but the known codes may still appear and we're still working on optimizing a separate map to resolve the codes and maximize potential gains. Headers can also be run with the Stage 1 tunes but you'll almost certainly experience codes and the tuning is not optimal, but we'll be releasing Stage 2 OTS tunes for headers very soon. Otherwise, you can have the car ProTuned and a custom map created for your specific parts now by a COBB ProTuner.

Originally Posted by user1029
Make a IPD Plenum, 82mm Tb, and Fabspeed catless header OTS map please!

Yours truly,
#1 fanboy

monitoring FTW!
Funny...we just so happen to have a GT4 with those modifications scheduled to be on our dyno next week in Austin...wonder what it could be here for...

~Jared
Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Funny...we just so happen to have a GT4 with those modifications scheduled to be on our dyno next week in Austin...wonder what it could be here for...

~Jared
Can you guys post the results of this? I'm subscribing.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:33 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by n3rd
Can you guys post the results of this? I'm subscribing.
No problem! We actually have a decent collection of Porsche dynos already in our dyno database but no GT4s yet, I'll be sure we get those added ASAP next week.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/dyno-database/

~Jared
Old 03-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 199 Posts

Jared, another GT4 to be in Austin soon! Subscribed.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:14 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning

~Jared
Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

I am no expert nor have ever tuned my car. I have done exhausts ect but never a tune. Now- do you all have a similar device, sort of like the one that one of your Competitor's posted, that is provided that one would install the tune and have the ability to go back and forth?
The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (06-14-2021)
Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am no expert nor have ever tuned my car. I have done exhausts ect but never a tune. Now- do you all have a similar device, sort of like the one that one of your Competitor's posted, that is provided that one would install the tune and have the ability to go back and forth?
Just replied to your PM! For additional quick information, we also have our release thread about the Accessport here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9010...lable-now.html

~Jared
Old 03-18-2016, 07:21 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Really looking forward to seeing the tune for the IPD plenum, 82mm throttle body, BMC filters (or whatever filters employed), and catless headers (although would prefer to see Cargraphics instead of FabSpeed).

I spoke to John at BGB today and this is the setup we've continued to discuss and it will be awesome to have an OTS solution once the live dyno data acquisition and work is done.

Someone mentioned a GB too - - any chance that happens once all the various tunes are available?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:46 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Cobb is the crème de la crème of the tuning world. When Cobb reaches a platform it changes the game in empowering both the tuners and the users. The company gives unprecedented accessibility to the ECU for many protuners across the world to make a customized, tailored map for your car that takes into account mods and atmospheric elevation, etc. Additionally the user has the ability to monitor in real time a multitude of engine parameters (knock) so you can see how your tune is doing every time you drive the car (93 octane variation) and easy reflashes to change maps on the fly. No more shipping your ECU off to some dude in Europe to get it chipped or using exclusive tuning software that ONLY the manufacturer of that software can tune (GIAC, EvoMS).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning- Clarification and Updates!!!