Sponsored by:

2004 996 C4S convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 01:59 PM
BrianF
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 C4S convertible top

My 2004 was just diagnosed that the convertible top rams are leaking, the hydraulic motor is seized and the power output is not providing power. The repair estimate for this is ca. $4,000, which surprised me. Any advice/thoughts on how to start thinking about this? It is what it is and it will cost the est. $4,000?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:32 PM
thin_concrete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the top become inoperable overnight? What were you experiencing before this diagnosis? Who said this was the case - dealer/indie/indie familiar with Porsches/etc.?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:36 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

I just had the leaky hydraulic cylinders on my '01 replaced. Cost me ~$1K; I went with rebuilt cylinders, which so far have been working great. Putting in new would have cost me ~$2.4K, so that might be an option for you.

I did the core replace - ordered the parts, and shipped back my old cores.
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 PM
BrianF
6th Gear

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Did the top become inoperable overnight? What were you experiencing before this diagnosis? Who said this was the case - dealer/indie/indie familiar with Porsches/etc.?
Yes, it became inoperable overnight. Beforehand, it seemed to work fine. Quote is from an indie specializing in Porsches.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:50 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Can you do any of your own work? If so search this forum for checking top oil, refilling hydraulic top oil. Etc... Checking & filling the fluid level is not too hard. Did you check the fuse?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I would not settle at that explanation. The cab top has to have about 5 or 7 micro switches all functioning correctly before it gets the go ahead to even move. If one of these is bad the top stays where it is. The dash top indicator flashes. Get the cab in service mode if you can and inspect the rams each side for fluid leakage. Feel along them especially at the bottom. You say overnight the motor seized. You say its not getting power? It wont if one of the micro switches is not working correctly. The motor will NOT move anything. I have to say it. I say you are getting bull ****ted from some one wanting to get $4000 of your dollars into his pocket. Bull ****. Take it to someone else. I don't wrap up my words as others know on this board. It really pisses me off when I see some **** trying to rip one of us off. DIY is not really hard work on these vehicles.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:11 PM
javtower
5th Gear

Hi, my 2004 C4S cab has intermittently had the problem that the top will only go down half way. The first time I refilled the hydraulic fluid and it started working again.

It then started acting up again so I emptied the old fluid and replaced it completely. Worked well all summer and when winter came, the hard top went on for 3 months. When I took the hard top off, the soft top would not come up. After some troubleshooting I found that the microswitch on the windshield was stuck. After fiddling with it, it came up.

Now it gets half way down and won't go further. I tried filling the hydraulic fluid but am afraid I may have over done it. Don't suspect any leaks as the level doesn't go down and there are no puddles.

Any ideas? Ideal fluid level? Microswitch checklist?

Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:56 PM
RRRUFF
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just completed the repair of my convertible top. Mine was definitely a leaking cylinder on the passenger side. Removing the cylinder is actually pretty easy. I sent mine to be rebuilt by a guy in FL for about $200. I reinstalled the cylinder and filled the fluid. Works great now!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM
javtower
5th Gear

UPDATE:

Somewhere I saw that the convertible tops require a "reset" so I disconnected the battery for 12 hours and now it works! Not sure what the problem was and when/if it will return.

Still interested in the optimum fluid fill level on the 996.2 horizontal reservoir and a detail of the microswitches involved in the up/down sequence to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2004 996 C4S convertible top