Notices

boxster rear window clean help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:51 PM
dgreenb1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boxster rear window clean help

Just bought a 2000 Boxster S. Fabulous, beautiful car with six year old rear window, not scratched but with the typical fog and markings from top up and top down use. Have purchased Wolfgang Plastik Lens Glaze and Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant. How is a normal sized person- possibly a little larger than normal sized- supposed to get at the inside of the rear window? Any special hints, tips or techniques would be enormously appreciated.
DG
Fort Myers, Florida
Old 11-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgreenb1
Just bought a 2000 Boxster S. Fabulous, beautiful car with six year old rear window, not scratched but with the typical fog and markings from top up and top down use. Have purchased Wolfgang Plastik Lens Glaze and Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant. How is a normal sized person- possibly a little larger than normal sized- supposed to get at the inside of the rear window? Any special hints, tips or techniques would be enormously appreciated.
DG
Fort Myers, Florida
I have never used the products you are describing so I can't comment directly on their use but I have cleaned a many plastic window!!

What I use is a fine paint polish, like Menzerna FPII and apply it with a soft microfiber towel, always applying as best as I can in one direction only. Always preclean the area first to remove any dust.

If I need something with a bit more bite then I'll use Optimum Polish and then finish off with the Menzerna FPII.

Something else I have found that works great on these hazed windows is Klasse All In One. It just takes several applications to get your desired results no matter what product you use.

When you have it polished an dlooking nice NEVER put your top down while there is dirt or grime on your plastic window as this is what causes it to become scratched. You can maintain your plastic window once polished by using PLEXUS.

Now in order to clean the inside of the window you either need to be very flexiable OR hire a contortionist to clean it for you

I am just over 6 ft tall with long arms and legs and I have a difficult time getting back there also so what I do is go through several stages of raising and lowering the top to try and get to all of the window.....BUT there is a portion that just needs to be done with the top fully closed so....do some stretching, limber up and take Advil for any pains

Anthony
Old 11-06-2006, 03:29 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

I find it very simple if you just pop the back windbreakers. Then take the center plastic glass off and you should have easy access to the rear windshield.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
dgreenb1
Intermediate

The S I bought came without the owner's manual and while I just bought one on ebay, I have no instructions right now for how to remove the windbreaker complex. Could you describe how that is done. Its removal would appear to make access to the rear window much easier.
Thanks,
DG
Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
San Antonio Mobile Car Wash
Track Day

I have a customer that has a convertable Carrera with the same condition as you discribe. The dealship sold her a plastic window polish and told me to apply as instructed. The window was perfectly clear and no scratches left behind. I don't know the name of the product but will see her tomorrow and will try to get info for you.

Martin
Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

`Soft Top' Rear window (vinyl) –wipe with a damp waffle weave towel, or a Glass Master ™; apply a plastic cleaner (Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish™ or BTI Chemicals Plexus® Glass Polish & Cleaner) that is safe for all types of clear and coloured plastics, Perspex, Lucite, Mylar (window tinting) and clear acrylics. Wipe the plastic with a damp Microfiber towel afterwards to break the static charge. Plastic tends to build up a lot of static electricity, which will attract dust to your newly cleaned lenses. This simple, easy to use product cleans, brightens and protects even the dullest headlights, also works great on taillights, the plastic windows in convertible tops, instrument panels, and motorcycle windscreens Rightlook P/N DA2030- Shine Restorer Protector-

{Knowledge; don't ever stop learning; [always keeping an open mind]
Old 11-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Bill Beeson
1st Gear

how to access rear glass window for cleaning, other than try to access from interior of car.?

Quick Reply: boxster rear window clean help