Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta 9/29/24

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
apw
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Post Road Atlanta 9/29/24

My best lap from the weekend at Road Atlanta (post hurricane). Shaved 1 second off previous weekend PB. 718 GTS4.0 on Yoko AD09's, J-hooks and DS1.11 on the front. Only performance mod has been the clear sidemarkers. I was trying to get to the 1:39's but it wasn't to be this weekend. This was my 10th day (5th weekend) at road atlanta.

Just from viewing I'm early on T1 and probably have speed left to gain there. Any other advice is officially solicited.

You can also catch Rexy setting up in the pro paddock at T1.

Last edited by apw; Yesterday at 09:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by apw:
ANGST (Today), Dan S (Yesterday)
Old Today, 03:27 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 333 Posts

I'll give this a go, there seems to be a bit of a pattern that I can see...

Turn 1 - You are correct, you need to stay track left all the way until you get to the turn in point. Crabbing over to the right decreases your radius and delays your commitment to the throttle which you should be able to pick up sooner considering you will have the uphill section after the apex to catch you.

Approaching Turn 2 you get out of the throttle before the braking zone. Your line coming in should be about 1/2 a cars width further track right so you can point the car to the left hand side curbing more parallel with the curbing

Turn 3 - Nothing too bad, you're just being more conservative than I would be. My aim is to have the inside of my LEFT side tires as close to the curb as I dare.

Turn 4 - Try not to release away from the curbing as much as it compromises your entry into the esses.

The Esses - On the entry you are too far away from the left side of the track (just like in Turn 1) which results in you being early to the right curbing at the first Ess and the left curbing at the second Ess. This keeps you from being able to properly position the car for Turn 5.

Turn 5 - Assuming you are able to fix your trajectory through the Esses, you should keep the car against the last curb on the right and start the turn in for Turn 5 at the end of the curbing. In your lap you are too far away from the right side of the track at turn in (just like Turns 1 & entering the Esses) which tightens the radius and delays your ability to go to full throttle. Your position at track out is fine but you aren't carrying as much speed as you could be if the radius was open further.

Turn 6 - You brake and then coast into the apex taking a looooong time to get back on the power before the braking zone for Turn 7. Almost everyone overslows for this corner - the banking creates a lot more grip than most people really understand. You can really power out of there before getting to Turn 7.

Turn 7 - Wait until the end of the curbing on the left to turn in - you went early again (just like Turn 1, entering the Esses, and Turn 5) and you compounded the damage done by missing the apex on the right by several feet. Both of which delayed your ability to get to the throttle leading onto one of the longest straightaways in North America

Turn 10a - Again you are not all the way at the edge of the track before or at turn in and never hit the apex curbing on the left.

Turn 10b - Just use more curbing so you can get back to throttle sooner climbing up to the bridge

Turn 11 - Entry looks ok to me (others may chime in here with a different opinion) but you NEED to get the car all the way out to the left along the curbing before you turn in for Turn 12.

Turn 12 - See that cone about 2 car lengths after the curbing ends? You should still be out on the left side of the track until just at that point (this is the pattern I keep talking about), then decisively bend the car towards the apex of Turn 12. Your apex and track out points were pretty good but opening up the radius will allow you to carry more speed more safely!

Hope this helps...
Old Today, 03:34 PM
apw
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback!
The following users liked this post:
Mike Roblin (Today)
Old Today, 03:54 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 771 Likes on 385 Posts

I watched the video and took notes - and they basically mimic Mike's
Most everything can be summarized into "slightly too early turn in", and that's not uncommon at Road Atlanta. Way back when, when I did more in-car instruction, I used to preach "late apex" so much I sounded like a broken record (remember records kids?) LOL. But seriously, if you think of the dynamic of hitting the back/far end of an apex curb, you're now already set up in the general direction of the track after the apex and can get on the throttle quicker and more decisive. If you 'early apex', you're entering the turn facing the wrong direction and have to over-slow to get the car rotated before track out.

I can say this all day long...in practice I yell at myself every turn "too early jackass"... ESPECIALLY turn 1 at Road Atlanta....

Overall the lap looked good and smooth. But don't drive the cones - drive the track. Cones are typically very conservative in their placement and are meant for the beginners to make sure they get through the turn comfortably. As you get faster, your braking, turn in, track out, throttle application gets quicker and more compressed into a smaller window.

Curious where the Garmin said you had opportunities?

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old Today, 04:08 PM
apw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I watched the video and took notes - and they basically mimic Mike's
Most everything can be summarized into "slightly too early turn in", and that's not uncommon at Road Atlanta. Way back when, when I did more in-car instruction, I used to preach "late apex" so much I sounded like a broken record (remember records kids?) LOL. But seriously, if you think of the dynamic of hitting the back/far end of an apex curb, you're now already set up in the general direction of the track after the apex and can get on the throttle quicker and more decisive. If you 'early apex', you're entering the turn facing the wrong direction and have to over-slow to get the car rotated before track out.

I can say this all day long...in practice I yell at myself every turn "too early jackass"... ESPECIALLY turn 1 at Road Atlanta....

Overall the lap looked good and smooth. But don't drive the cones - drive the track. Cones are typically very conservative in their placement and are meant for the beginners to make sure they get through the turn comfortably. As you get faster, your braking, turn in, track out, throttle application gets quicker and more compressed into a smaller window.

Curious where the Garmin said you had opportunities?
T12, T1, and T6 were the ones it had as opportunities if i remember correctly. I am consistently mediocre enough at the other turns they didn't make the top 3.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta 9/29/24