Notices

OT Another disappointing CT experience.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2024, 11:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts
Default OT Another disappointing CT experience.

Well this is hard to write as i used to be such a huge fan of Canadian tire growing up. I even bought the freewheeling book and read it cover to cover and was interested in the Billis family story.

I thought they were different . another piece of Canadiana just like Tim Hortons.. and we all know how that ended...

had a few issues with tyres and exhaust in the past where they wigled like crazy to not honour their own warranty and i ended up walking away vowing never to return..

The latest is a Battery .. i knew before even going in we were going to be told to F-off but thought it was worth talking to them as if someone came to me in my business i would help someone out with thiis case.

I fully know, as we all do, that battery warranties are not transferable. Also, as they get older and have prorated warranty it can get tricky.

The Boxster my son bought had battery in it from Canadian tire and it was cranking slowly.. got to the point where even charging it it could not start the car.

He obviously is not the original owner of the battery and i understand that .. This battery is freaking new .. it was manufactured end of 2022 so likely sold in 2023 .. Even so it says right on the freakin battery that it has free 3 year replacement warranty... it doesnt matter who bought it or when .. this thing is bad even within manufacturers date , He took it to CT here in Cambridge .. and the guy would do nothing .. he even admitted this is a bad battery from manufacture , but he can do nothing without original sales receipt... if it was after the 3 years i would expect a challenge .. but within that 3 year warranty stamped right on the battery the thing is dead it makes absolutely zero difference who bought it when .

Just another weasel out of warranty situation and its sad that CT has come to the level of every other big box store.. In fact worse even HD stands behind their products better than this ..

very disappointing ...

My son said fine ... off to costco i go then, this place i know wont stand behind their own stuff.

Im off to check the wreckers before he drops major coin on a battery

carry on

BTW Boxster update ... 3 chain tensioners replaced, 2 sets of variocam pads, 2 timing chains , retimed engine ( skipped a link ) new water pump, coolant flush, new thermostat, valve cover reseal, replace one header, new oil filter housing with valve, new upgraded oil pressure regulator. new spark plug tubes.

Thanks to Canadian Tire ... absolutely no idea if it even starts lol.

Last edited by theiceman; 09-25-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2024, 12:06 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

a new battery costs $150, get your blood pressure checked
The following 2 users liked this post by Bud Fox:
boman993 (Today), LastMezger (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 02:01 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

I've had great luck with CT batteries Clive. P car trickle charged 24/7 battery lasts 10 + years. I toss battery at 7 years just in case. Lifetime warranty on Z's CT battery lasts 5 or 6 years and replaced basically free for the last 30 years - but ya gotta have the paper!
The following users liked this post:
theiceman (Yesterday)
Old 09-25-2024, 02:25 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Costco has great prices and great warranty. Just get a new on there. The receipt is on file with your membership so no worries if you lose it. Also copy of receipt on the Costco app.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:29 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonKM
Costco has great prices and great warranty. Just get a new on there. The receipt is on file with your membership so no worries if you lose it. Also copy of receipt on the Costco app.
The OP is complaining that CTC won't cover the replacement of a battery that he never purchased in the first place. So, there would be no receipt on file...
Old 09-25-2024, 02:44 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
The OP is complaining that CTC won't cover the replacement of a battery that he never purchased in the first place. So, there would be no receipt on file...
Male or they/them version Karen
Old 09-25-2024, 02:51 PM
Saul_Goodman
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Funny I just had this same exact experience up in colingwood. Bought a vehicle with a CT battery from 2023.
weak crank.

Bring it in, same story not original owner no replacment.
the funny thing is they hooked up their machine to text it.
Waited a couple minutes for it to spit out a receipt saying battery good.

So even if I was the original purchaser of said battery, I'd be denied replacment since their machine tester days good. Lol
what a joke.

Anyway New battery was 300$ so it's hardly the end of the world. At least I'm on fire now so if this crops out in a year I can fight with them then.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:57 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 287 Posts

Wow. Lot of people standing up for mediocrity. You hate to see it.
Old 09-25-2024, 03:12 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Wow. Lot of people standing up for mediocrity. You hate to see it.
Welcome to Canada!
The following 2 users liked this post by moab:
Pags993 (09-25-2024), SToronto (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 03:13 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 603 Posts

I'm not sure if you are referring to me or not, but I am not standing up for anything. I was just clarifying that the OP was not the original purchaser, so that is why he didn't have a receipt.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I get CTC's policy for having a receipt and I get the OP's position that it shouldn't matter if it is defective.
Old 09-25-2024, 03:23 PM
Arione
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts

if a battery is a stretch sell the car. You're gonna have a bad time
Old 09-25-2024, 03:26 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

iceman - Try calling their customer support to get a second opinion. They may extend some goodwill. They did for me when I called about a garage opener remote which I did not purchase (previous owner did) and they offered a replacement.
The following 2 users liked this post by bcrdukes:
ronnie993tt (Yesterday), theiceman (Yesterday)
Old 09-25-2024, 04:07 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Clive
I’ve had the same Issue with an Interstate battery for my Subie, it was under three years old and i didn’t have the original sales receipt. I would bring this up higher with CDN Tire just to prove my point and get them to react …
On the other hand , i had an issue with a 12v battery for my quad which i purchased this Summer from Royal Distributing , and their customer service rep plainly asked me if i wanted a replacement or a refund , simple as that !
i’ve had a few issues with CDN Tire as well regarding items that had a lifetime warranty but were discontinued and left me s**t out of luck.

Cheers
Phil
Old 09-25-2024, 06:01 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Why the eff is anyone defending CTC's behaviour with this? It's utter BS that they don't honor the warranty on the battery when it's a clear failure of their product.

They did the same thing with their "lifetime" warranty tools, mastercraft used to be lifetime no receipts no questions, but now even those tools bought under that policy (not more recently purchased items) won't get replaced without a fight. I've pretty much completely stopped shopping at Canadian Tire, it's nothing like it used to be with proper customer service or even good products...most of their house brands have been so diluted and cheaped out on, that they aren't even worth it at 70% off anymore.

Mark my words, Canadian Tire will go the way of Sears within the decade.
The following 3 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
.2PDK (09-25-2024), Greg981 (Yesterday), Larson E. Rapp (Yesterday)
Old 09-25-2024, 10:20 PM
Saul_Goodman
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

In my experience, escalating the issue doesn't resolve anything. Most CT locations are privately owned franchises. It's up to the discretion of said location and results could varry location to location.

Quick Reply: OT Another disappointing CT experience.